Phones for gifts to African friends

Berettaco

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Good morning all,

Hoping for some insight as to what key features / requirements are needed for phones in South Africa. I am going to take a few phones for presents but want to make sure what I take can actually be used in RSA. I’m pretty sure they aren’t used on a network plan - mainly for WhatsApp and internet use but still not sure what to buy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Berettaco

Make sure they aren't locked to a network....just out of interest why phones?....mobile phones available all over.....most people buy airtime/ talk time as and when they need it...same with data.....there are a few different cell system companies in various countries...think mtn one of biggest....we have 3 from memory in zambia....SA at least the same....also from my experience lot more android phones than apple in use

Last edited:
Just a quick question/suggestion from here. My experience, not hunting-related, but still, is that giving things often are not quite as appreciated as cash. Most of the gift I get are not really what I wanted. If I get cash I can buy what I need, perhaps I have a medical bill to pay, or school fees, or something else. Getting a phone (or something else), would mean I would have to sell it first, probably getting a lot less for it than it cost to buy it.

With a phone there are additional potential problems: the bands might be different, maybe there are no repair options, they probably can not use the warranty, and, many people probably have the phone they want. I do, and I would then sell the gift (at a low price), or I would give it away, either case I don't really get what it cost.

That's just my opinion, I know many people don't like giving cash, but try to look at it from the recipients side. If the recipient want a phone, they simply take the cash and buy one. But my bets are that's most would prefer cash.

They have factory unlocked or network unlocked options to buy. I will hit the google machine and see what the difference is.
Before each trip over I ask who needs what from the states and was asked to bring some small stuff - Fiesta Brand Fajita seasoning, brass, and this time a couple phones - these will be cheaper phones - I’m not buying $900 iPhones
Just to clarify - These are gifts - not substitutes for tips etc to the staff.

Thank you

Vert good, excellent! In that case I would ask them/the outfitter what they want/use.

I guess I gotta try the Fiesta fajita seasoning, must be good!

That’s the problem :) he’s not super tech savvy either. Was hoping to head off any potential problems before purchase

He, not easy then:( Perhaps he can at least tell what mobile he got, that might go some way in ensuring there is a dealer for repairs etc...

Good morning all,

Hoping for some insight as to what key features / requirements are needed for phones in South Africa. I am going to take a few phones for presents but want to make sure what I take can actually be used in RSA. I’m pretty sure they aren’t used on a network plan - mainly for WhatsApp and internet use but still not sure what to buy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Berettaco
Hi

My wife is the phone expert not me, but we have found the cheap phones $10.00 work better than our I phones. Don’t ask me I do not like phones.

Just a quick question/suggestion from here. My experience, not hunting-related, but still, is that giving things often are not quite as appreciated as cash. Most of the gift I get are not really what I wanted. If I get cash I can buy what I need, perhaps I have a medical bill to pay, or school fees, or something else. Getting a phone (or something else), would mean I would have to sell it first, probably getting a lot less for it than it cost to buy it.

With a phone there are additional potential problems: the bands might be different, maybe there are no repair options, they probably can not use the warranty, and, many people probably have the phone they want. I do, and I would then sell the gift (at a low price), or I would give it away, either case I don't really get what it cost.

That's just my opinion, I know many people don't like giving cash, but try to look at it from the recipients side. If the recipient want a phone, they simply take the cash and buy one. But my bets are that's most would prefer cash.
Having also been in the industry, most trackers etc will sell knives,binos etc for cash and then buy what they need. So my advice is cash tips. The tracker will get better value. For a tracker, swarovski binos are pretty difficult to get full value. So you give a guy 1k and he gets 300. What you value is not what others value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be that the only way someone could use a cell from another Country was if it had the old style SIM card that could be replaced, and/or it wasn't locked. Not sure if this applies in Africa, but it does in Asia.

Having also been in the industry, most trackers etc will sell knives,binos etc for cash and then buy what they need. So my advice is cash tips. The tracker will get better value. For a tracker, swarovski binos are pretty difficult to get full value. So you give a guy 1k and he gets 300. What you value is not what others value.
Thanks nhoro - these won’t be for tips - just gifts. I learned what happens to binos / knives when given as tips on my first trip.

I actually might see if I can scoot around to some camps after hunters leave to buy up some good gear super cheap

I always ask the PH what they need from the states, too. They don't have an Apple store, Cabela's, or Scheel's around the corner from their house. I've taken laptops, electronic ears, trail cameras, candies, and more.

Seems like a simple enough question. If they won't be using the cellular, just as a handheld computer, any phone with wifi and bluetooth.

Are these for the outfitter? Lots of nice 'last years' phones for cheap - saw new Samsung S21 for $150 today. For the help? Cheaper versions with wifi /bluetooth are bountiful.

Nice thought.

That's just my opinion, I know many people don't like giving cash, but try to look at it from the recipients side. Phones are great gifts. The main thing is to show them how to use it. Of course there may be problems with this. I recently read “how to clear cookies on iphone” and used https://moonlock.com/how-to-clear-cookies-on-iphone for this. Perhaps it would be better for them to leave some kind of review video. For example, show how to clear memory from everywhere, take photographs, charge the device, etc. If the recipient want a phone, they simply take the cash and buy one. But my bets are that's most would prefer cash.
I don't entirely agree here. It’s better to give a phone than money, they can just spend it on who knows what.

I don't entirely agree here. It’s better to give a phone than money, they can just spend it on who knows what.

Yup....things like clothes...food...beer....really haven't a clue what you are on about... :E Head Scratch: the reality is that just about everyone out here has a cell phone, even if it's just a small basic one...and to tell the truth they pick up signal a lot better than the supposed smart phones

I always ask the PH what they need from the states, too. They don't have an Apple store, Cabela's, or Scheel's around the corner from their house. I've taken laptops, electronic ears, trail cameras, candies, and more.

Seems like a simple enough question. If they won't be using the cellular, just as a handheld computer, any phone with wifi and bluetooth.

Are these for the outfitter? Lots of nice 'last years' phones for cheap - saw new Samsung S21 for $150 today. For the help? Cheaper versions with wifi /bluetooth are bountiful.

Nice thought.

Just saw this one....mmm...we have a pretty big apple store in one of the malls in lusaka....

If they have a phone, most have, the will have to sell one , probably the gift in order to buy what they really need, eg food, medicine for their children, clothes, school fees, agricultural inputs, etc, and will get much much less for it than the giver paid for it. Plus the hassle. Just give them the money, all evidence shows that cash mostly is spent on useful things.

Good morning all,

Berettaco

Everybody wants iphones and ipads in Africa. You need to make sure that they are carrier unlocked (translation, if you got it from your phone provider with contract, the contract is satisfied and their padlock has been removed by you requesting unlock)

An outdated ipad worth $35 in the USA is worth $200 there. An outdated iphone in a drawer like an iphone 6-7-8 might sell for $400 there.

I look in my junk drawers for older phones, ask friends for the same, and bring all of those with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatrisSam

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles