Pedistal bases and african shields

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I plan to have my taxidermy done in RSA and shipped back home to the states. I am wanting a pedistal base and african shield like the ones pictures below. Is it best to buy these from the taxidermist there and pay more for the freight, or have these items made locally?

1000003575.jpg
1000003574.jpg

I bought my pedestal here. Had the taxidermy done in SA. To me, it didn’t make sense to pay to ship a base from there.

If it was me I would reach out to our very own @gizmo who does that type work beautifully in the states
I have seen some of @gizmo work on this site and it's truly amazing. I fear his cost are going to be higher that those in RSA plus I'd have to get them from him in Texas to me in Michigan.

I'll reach out to him and see though.

Take a look on the forum what it's costing to ship dip & pack skulls and skins to the US. Now, imagine a crate sitting in storage at the Turkish airlines warehouse. I'm sure it will be in the thousands. My small crate sat at their warehouse and accrued $1400 just for warehouse fees.

+1 to what @Rare Breed is saying about @gizmo. He has all my trophies from my 2022 safari. I believe he is working on them as I type this. I'm planning on driving to his shop to pick them up, and may squeeze in a hunt :ROFLMAO: .

This is the shield I had done in South Africa on my first safari, unfortunately this taxidermist did me wrong in more than one way and I wouldn't recommend them. Just to give you an idea.

LIVING ROOM.jpg

The cost of pretty much everything is increasing. But paying for a shipper’s inefficiency really makes me mad. So Turkish airlines agrees to ship your trophies from point A to B. Enroute, through no fault of the client, the shipment gets hung up and sits in their warehouse. Then they charge the client for warehousing their now delayed shipment. That takes some gall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyman88W3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?