Overnight SA Stay--How to mark SAPS 520

DonW28

New member
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
HI,

I have an overnight stay in SA on the way to Namibia. Does anyone know the correct block to check on the SAPS 520 in Section D Type of Permit? I'm confused between the in-transit or Temp Import. Overnight seems to be in transit to me but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks,

Don
 
The safe thing to do is to ask your outfitter, PH or booking agent. You can email PHASA in SA also and they are very nice and will help with any questions. Hope this helps.

SES
 
Don,

Here is the information from the South African Police Service website that I think answer your question, this is what it says about what defines the two different types of permits:

Firearm entering South Africa not for the purpose of licencing in South Africa can be divided in the following categories:
• Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement, exhibition where after it will return to country of origin, wherefor a temporary import permit may be issued.
• Firearms entering South Africa to be transported over SA ground to another country in Africa for personal use wherefor a in-transit permit may be issued.
• Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement or exhibition and then taken to another country other than the country of origin wherefor an temporary import permit and additional export permit may be issued.


Based upon this information it appears that you must check for the in-transit permit box.

This information on importation of firearm(s) into South Africa can be found on the South African Police Service (SAPS) website by clicking here.

You can also download the instruction on how to complete the South Africa Firearms Permit Form, SAPS 520 by clicking here.


South Africa Firearms Permit Application SAPS 520 Form


South Africa Firearms Permit Information SAPS 520


South Africa Letter Of Invitation Form

For an AH article on Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition click here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Yes, I think Jerome is right on this one and my gut feeling as well - all the other information is the same regardless of temp or in transit permit. Remember, to list the full duration of your trip dates on the SAP 520 assuming you are exiting back through RSA as well. This way you are covered with the permit on your way home in case of any hiccups.
 
That is good advice about the trip back. Since there is no overnight stay involved on the way back I marked the application just for the 3-4 June period. Guess I will redo the application and cover the whole period. Planes do break down and I'd hate to lose my firearms on the way home.

Don
 
Don ~ I speak from experience on this one. Better to be safe than sorry!
 
It depends on whether you are taking posession of the firearms for the overnight you spend in Jo'burg or having the firearm transferred directly from airline to airline without taking posession in SA. I have done it successfully both ways, but I always took copies of filled out (but not signed) forms for both scenarios. Having many copies of the forms will save you time. It also helps if the connecting flight is on the same airline.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,347
Messages
1,573,645
Members
169,780
Latest member
Isidro
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top