AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
where would you overnight in jburg and why? Thanks in advance guys!
I will be traveling with my wife and two 20 something daughters!

I always stay at Afton Safari Lodge. It is a great small family type atmosphere with great food. You get to visit with other guest. It is very relaxing. My wife loves staying with them. They have helped me out of several difficult situations with airlines. They can clear your firearms if needed.

It depends on if you are driving or flying out the next day.

Africa Sky worked well for me. It’s a short hop from the airport, and they are very helpful. The food is good, it’s comfortable, and I never felt unsafe once on the grounds. The Afton is also frequently recommended in the same breath as they are peers.

If you’re flying the next day, one of the Airport hotels (I can’t remember their names) are usually a better option thanks to price and locale.

If you are there for longer than a night, there are nicer hotels that @Kevin Peacocke could probably recommend.

Afton House is very nice and they can arrange for Mr X to take care of your rifle permits if you take your own and do a meet and greet when you get off the plane. they have a nice dinner but I would skip it if you are flying Delta as you will not get to the hotel till around 9:00 pm it was to late for us to eat and Delta fed us just before landing. you will really like the people at Afton House

The easiest in my experience is the City Lodge in the airport. Easy walking distance from arrival area, pretty good food in the restaurant, clean rooms. But they are like any other hotel room so not much of an African experience like some of the other places mentioned.

The Intercontinental Hotel at the airport. Overall the nicest hotel I’ve stayed at anywhere in the world. 5 star service. Excellent restaurant. 5 star rooms.

I've stayed at both, Afton House and Africa Sky. I enjoyed the stay at Africa Sky better and felt safe and their food was not bad at all. I used their rifle clearing services, and it was worth every penny, especially the next day trying to get out of Joburg to fly to the Eastern Cape. I also spend the night at Africa Sky on the way back to the Kalahari, and again I enjoyed the stay. Definitely staying there again next time I fly to SA.

It depends on if you are driving or flying out the next day.

Africa Sky worked well for me. It’s a short hop from the airport, and they are very helpful. The food is good, it’s comfortable, and I never felt unsafe once on the grounds. The Afton is also frequently recommended in the same breath as they are peers.

If you’re flying the next day, one of the Airport hotels (I can’t remember their names) are usually a better option thanks to price and locale.

If you are there for longer than a night, there are nicer hotels that @Kevin Peacocke could probably recommend.
If you have a few days try the Westcliff Hotel which is on a hillside just north of Johannesburg city centre, comfortable and top end. For a more historic experience stay a night at the Rand Club, not in a great part of the city but it is secure.

I stayed at the Afton House on my last trip. And used their rifle service to clear my guns into SA. Reasonably priced, good food, and friendly

It is truly just an overnight. We land at 7:00 pm and fly out at 6:00 am.
so really most convenient is best and safe

We'll be staying at Afton in July.. but we're landing very early in the AM on a Qatar flight, and then not heading to our hunting camp until the following morning (huge difference in the price of tickets for one arrival day to the next.. and I was purchasing 3x tickets.. so a 1 day early arrival and the cost of a room at Afton was well worth the price)..

If all I needed was a true overnight like you describe, I'd likely opt for City Lodge at the airport.. rooms arent anything fancy.. but they are clean and comfortable enough.. its reasonably priced.. staff is friendly and helpful.. food is decent.. etc..

I stayed at the Afton house in September. I will either go with Africa Sky or City Lodge on the next trip. Happy to give more detail via PM. Nothing terrible happened, I just think the other options are better based on my recent experience there.

Another vote for City Lodge. After that long flight you really won't enjoy the room anyway. Check-in, dinner, glass of wine, and a comfortable bed will be welcome.

City Lodge. Convenient, decent food and accomodations. Works well for being in the airport for pickups or flights in and out. I've stayed other places which are more "African," but for convenience, can't beat City Lodge. Signs in airport direct you to them.

Kevin

Same question was asked 4 Sept. Has 96 replies/responses, all or most should still be valid. Mine included.

MB

I love Africa Sky, but it's a good 20 min or so from the airport (IIRC). For a 0600 flight you would be better off to stay closer or at the airport, IMO.

I just did this a few weeks ago. Stay at City Lodge. Arriving at 7pm (assume this is Delta 200) means you might get to the hotel around 9pm or later. For a 6am flight, you will want to be in the check in line at 4am, so your wife and daughters will love you for the 3am wake up. Because of this schedule, I opted for an 11am flight.

where would you overnight in jburg and why? Thanks in advance guys!
I will be traveling with my wife and two 20 something daughters!
City Lodge. You don’t have to leave the airport, great buffet, simple but comfortable rooms all for $125 per night. Other options even within airport nicer rooms $400 per night…in my experience having done both pick City Lodge

Intercontinental across the street from terminal. IHG hotel so you can use points excellent restaurant. Call couple days in advance to book a table for your group. Covid was still inforce mask rule in buildings so we were nat able to get a table and had to order room service. I prefer to stay close , I have stayed at Afton and Safari Lodge both nice places great people I just don't like the hassle of a shuttle to and from the hotel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!