Optics for Ruger #1

Jeff Garcia

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
New purchase for me my first #1 in 300 H&H. What scopes to look at for fit with rings/eye relief/cheek weld.
Going out to the #1 group on here

I have several no 1's, absolutely love them. Overall for the money, quality, usability I use leupold HD5 's with illumination. Very versatile and if u keep an eye out very good deals can be found

Thanks, running HD5 2-10 on a couple bolt 300 mags with low rings. I did have to grind the rail a bit on the Seekins to clear powers ring

You need a lot of eye relief if you don’t want to crawl the stock on a No 1.

Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 ee (discontinued but available used)

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (discontinued but available used)

Thanks for the input, just want to sort out ring height and what scopes fit well between the rings. Conquest is currently on another rifle but available, will give it a try

Thanks for the input, just want to sort out ring height and what scopes fit well between the rings. Conquest is currently on another rifle but available, will give it a try

I've purchased a couple of Ruger No 1s lately, with the plan to gift them to my grandsons when they get a little older. One came with rings and the other did not. I quickly learned that the No 1 is different than Ruger M77. On the bolt actions, the two rings are different height. For the No 1, the rings are the same height. See attached chart.

Attachments

I love the #1’s. If weight is a concern, I’d consider a 3-10x Swarovski Z3. The VX5 Leupold in 2-10x or Trijicon 2.5-12.5x would be my choices with a 30mm tube.

On my former 375 No1 I fitted a Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 DG scope, excellent optic, but the eye relief was a tad short. On my new 30-06 No1 I heeded the advice given by several on AH and fitted a Swarovski 1-6 x24i EE. It is entirely correct in every way, so much so that I would say it is the only way to go if you want no frustration. Expensive and hard to find, but worth the effort.

Leupold makes a set of rings for the #1 that are offset to the rear a bit so that you can mount the scope farther back which solves the need to crawl the stock.

Leupold makes a set of rings for the #1 that are offset to the rear a bit so that you can mount the scope farther back which solves the need to crawl the stock.

Agreed, but I still need lots of eye relief with them. Below are the two No 1’s I referenced. The .275 Rigby has the Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 EE in Warne QD rings. Note how far back it can be mounted with the straight tube.

The second is a .22 hornet topped by a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 with a rear offset ring by Leupold.

Both of these rifles are set up perfectly for me.

Image1717636156.939168.jpg

Probably looking at 2-10 power for the 300H&H seeing some of the set ups what height rings with 30 mm tube and offset rings a must with that choice? If the objective lens is over 40 should I plan on buying a cheek piece?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia