Opinions on case configuration #2

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been considering an alternate battery gor my hunt. Instead of the double with the Blaser 458, I am seriously considering the double with the Sako 416 Rigby. I was just spitballing the idea of breaking it down to see if it would fit in the case like the blaser did and here is the results. Really not much difference in assembly and packing if I did take the 416. 2 allens screws and we are back in business.
20230323_074418_HDR.jpg
20230323_074433.jpg

Looks like it would Transport well. Does the rifle maintain a consistent point of impact when reinstalling it in the stock? When putting an action back in the stock I torque it down, shoot a few shots to settle the action then recheck the torque. Maybe I overthink it.

Here it is with the vits made and the parts in place. I will definitely test the POI shift, but even if it is a minor one once I reassemble it there I'll have to fire a few shots to check the zero anyway. The stock has a nice bedding job so I don't expect there to be much shift.
20230323_084205_HDR.jpg
20230323_084212_HDR.jpg

Looks good. Best plan for the action screws is to torque them the same each time for a consistent POI. I use a Wheeler FAT Torque Wrench (with the proper bit) that allows you to dial the desired torque. Should be pretty easy to find some space for this or something similar.
1679697000327.png

Looks good. Best plan for the action screws is to torque them the same each time for a consistent POI. I use a Wheeler FAT Torque Wrench (with the proper bit) that allows you to dial the desired torque. Should be pretty easy to find some space for this or something similar.
View attachment 525048
Definitely. I use a set of fix it stix. They're handy for packing on a hunt. Has pretty much everything you need for doing work on your rifle in the field.

I use a Borka Tool Kit, it is a solid product.

I have not used the fix it Stix as of yet. I like the concept and the size of the package. I'm just not sure on the repeatability of it. I'm sure it will be perfectly fine. Just my brain over thinking things.

This is off their website (Borka Tool Kit).

Screenshot_20230324_230343_Chrome.jpg

This is the set that I use. I Have a WTO switch lug and I have used them with it ans well as other projects and have always had good repeatability. I like the size especially for a travel set up, although honestly I just tighten by feel a lot of times, I use the old German method..Gudenntight. I think with a good bedding job on the gun as long as you aren't going to extremes it is going to be pretty repeatable. I will have to shoot it before I hunt anyway and it shouldn't be anything a small adjustment won't fix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.39 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.43 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.32.44 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Not only test with torque, but make sure you tighten in the same order, I can't remember the "proper" order and it may be different for different guns.

But I believe it's rear action screw first, then to front, been years since I've done the precision game and worried about this, now these aren't MOA at 1,000yd type situations, but no need to mess with an expensive trip.

Anyways, point being, it may be wise to test, say, 30in/lbs rear, then front, then 60 or whatever in/lbs, rear to front for final.

Shoot a group at 50yds, can be a simple 2 shot group if you don't feel you pulled one, this doesn't need to be crazy.

Pull the gun apart completely, then repeat that and see where you're hitting.

Doing it not only to the same force amount, but in the same order may prove more important than a guy would think.

I did a whole torque value test about 10 or so years ago on my Fclass gun, shot several groups at several distances, to about 400yds at several torque values, documented it and had it up on Snipershide, no idea if it's still there and that really isn't the point.

The point is, changing torque values, even 5 in/lbs could be the difference between 1/2moa and 1 moa, the gun was bedded.

Again, these aren't necessarily numbers that would ruin a hunt like this, but it may be worth the 5 mins to see if Sako tells you the order in which to tighten the action screws, and the recommended torque value, wood is generally lower, I think around 45.

Then, do that, and test with a couple groups at 50 and just see...

If you have already done this, great, I don't anticipate an end of the world result if things aren't perfect, but again, a guy would hate for an issue to show itself in Africa.

Good luck to you, may you find great success.

Fix it Sticks for the win. Extremely compact case with everything you need, and super high quality. We use them for shooting competition all the time.

What a quandry to be in; I'm sure you'll handle it all just fine ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TarenGerla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is roofrunner@aol.com. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with