One Odf A Kind Siamese Mauser In 500 Smith & Wesson

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
I wanted to share the final results of this unique build. DPCD is the master gunsmith for the barrel and action work. Started life as a stripped Siamese Mauser action I picked up on the cheap. Tom took on the challenge of trying to turn this into a 500 Smith and Wesson Mag bolt action rifle and I would call it a success. The gun is throwing 385gr Maker at 1825 fps with an 18" Douglas barrel. The theme for this gun as you can see was a safari classic look. The wood I finished and inlet/bed myself with tru oil on a fancy grade myrtle.

EZhtnAn.jpg
kiTxFrW.jpg
p1dMh39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting project. I am curious what is the intent of this carbine? To be fair, I have the same question about handguns in this caliber. The carbine would have far better utility than an actual handgun for deer, but it is still far more limited than something like a 30-30. With that accuracy, inside 100 yards it would be adequate for a southern whitetail, but with a SD of .22, it would not be my first choice for a large boar.

Interesting project. I am curious what is the intent of this carbine? To be fair, I have the same question about handguns in this caliber. The carbine would have far better utility than an actual handgun for deer, but it is still far more limited than something like a 30-30. With that accuracy, inside 100 yards it would be adequate for a southern whitetail, but with a SD of .22, it would not be my first choice for a large boar.

Thanks everyone.

I just did it because I like things that are different and unique. For me its just because but I plan to use it for deer and hogs. I have found these big bore bullets at 1800-2200 fps range makes up for the low BC with ft/lb of energy it exerts on target. You are not killing with velocity you are killing by hitting them like a freight train, which is what all these big bores do. Also the Maker bullets are essentially a controlled expansion solid copper that is tuned for this velocity range so you are punching a 1" + hole.

Thanks everyone.

I just did it because I like things that are different and unique. For me its just because but I plan to use it for deer and hogs. I have found these big bore bullets at 1800-2200 fps range makes up for the low BC with ft/lb of energy it exerts on target. You are not killing with velocity you are killing by hitting them like a freight train, which is what all these big bores do. Also the Maker bullets are essentially a controlled expansion solid copper that is tuned for this velocity range so you are punching a 1" + hole.
I like different and unique too. Not everything has to be practical. Sometimes interesting is enough. At least for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshlyChamp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg