One caliber away from contentment... who else?

Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey everyone...

I have decided that I am only one caliber away from complete contentment... does anyone else feel the same?

I thought I had the complete armoury but looking again l think l'm missing something... :unsure:
Looking in my safe I have everything from rabbits to long-range deer hunting to close-range elephant hunting covered -but I'm missing one caliber that would be perfect FOR ME.
And l believe that caliber is the .243 Winchester. :love:

I have always owned bigger calibers but my absolute favourite hunting spot in the world (@CBH Australia this is where we hunted ) is where l hunt Fallow deer - and not particularly big Fallow at that. There's no Sambar, just Fallow so a bigger caliber isn't required.

Now, having said that I have hunted this spot with the following calibers... .458 Win Mag, 425 Express, 338 Win Mag and my next trip l was going to bring my 308 Norma Mag.
All have done - or will do the job, but all of the above are expensive, kick hard and are big for Fallow... and l think a .243 Would be perfect for this hunting spot.

Why the .243 over other certain calibers?
Well for one l really like the .243.
I also like the idea of walking into a gun shop and have a selection of readily available ammo off the shelf.
I can choose ammo from 55 to over 100gn.
Recoil is mild so my wife and kids can comfortably shoot it.
Pretty flat trajectory - similar to my 308 Norma.
It's effective on Fallow sized game. I've personally seen with my own eyes a mate drop 2 Fallow with one shot using factory Federal blue-box 100gn ammo.
I think it would be a nice step down from my 308 Norma.

As far as rifles go, l think my perfect .243 would be housed in a Winchester M70 with a 22" barrel with a nice trim 3-9x scope on top.
If l couldn't find a Winchester M70 it would have to be something that is nice light and trim.

Now, all the above is just me dreaming as l have NO budget for a new rifle! (n)
BUT!
If l could afford one more rifle it would be a .243 Winchester.
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not very exotic or exciting, but l already own enough exciting calibers so a .243 it would be (y)

Is anyone else one caliber or rifle away from complete contentment?
If so, would love to hear what it is! And it can be as exotic or rare as you want.
And l bet it's not a .243! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Russ

I am ALWAYS just one caliber away from contentment.
A shooting buddy texted me just yesterday asking "do we need a 9.3x62" sigh.....now contentment is 2 calibers away

Hey everyone...

I have decided that I am only one caliber away from complete contentment... does anyone else feel the same?

I thought I had the complete armoury but looking again l think l'm missing something... :unsure:
Looking in my safe I have everything from rabbits to long-range deer hunting to close-range elephant hunting covered -but I'm missing one caliber that would be perfect FOR ME.

I have always owned bigger calibers but my absolute favourite hunting spot in the world (@CBH Australia this is where we hunted ) is where l hunt Fallow deer - and not particularly big Fallow at that. There's no Sambar, just Fallow so a bigger caliber isn't required.

Now, having said that I have hunted this spot with the following calibers... .458 Win Mag, 425 Express, 338 Win Mag and my next trip l was going to bring my 308 Norma Mag.
All have done - or will do the job, but all of the above are expensive, kick hard and are big for Fallow... and l think a .243 Would be perfect for this hunting spot.

I also like the idea of walking into a gun shop and have a selection of readily available ammo off the shelf.
It's effective on Fallow sized game. I've personally seen with my own eyes a mate drop 2 Fallow with one shot using factory Federal blue-box 100gn ammo.

As far as rifles go, l think my perfect .243 would be housed in a Winchester M70 with a 22" barrel with a nice trim 3-9x scope on top.
If l couldn't find a Winchester M70 it would have to be something that is nice light and trim.

BUT!
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not very exotic or exciting, but l already own enough exciting calibers so a .243 it would be (y)

If so, would love to hear what it is! And it can be as exotic or rare as you want.

Russ
I am 3–4 away still. I have everything from
Hey everyone...

BUT!

Russ
i feel I’m 3-4 away still. I have everything from.17 hmr to 50 bmg. On the dg front I still want a 600 nitro express and a 375 h&h. Working on a 500 nitro express right now and also want a 4 bore and a George Hoenig rifle. I can’t be content however once I get to that point so I’ll just begin to cull the weaker ones.

I feel a 300H&H calling to me ! However I think I will have to get one built.
Winchester Model 70 or a Zastava left hand action.
Short term a 243 is on the cards. I went out for a deer today. Brought the 7x57. No joy. At dusk I moved somewhere else and got the 22/250 out for a fox. Success ! I would be more comfortable just taking 1 rifle with me.

IMG_2833.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I understand the concept of "contentment". But there are certainly some calibers high on my list of "get and never sell".

1. 8-bore rifle (just got this!)
2. a .416" of some flavor (I've got a 416RM and love it!)
3. a 577 NE (some day!)
4. a .308" of some flavor (my 308win was stolen :mad:)
5. a .510" rifle of some flavor (some day!)

-matt

Well, I'm working on getting a .260rem set up for target shooting.

I think, maybe I was thinking or perhaps I should think that I have most of the bases covered. That comes from saying I have 3 hunting rifles being .308, .280a.i. and .300wm, now that covers most things for hunting in Australia.

I don't count the .375H&H in that because it's my DG rifle should I get to hunt something bigger.

I have a .223 for spotlighting and my 7mm-08 Tikka CTR for a truck rifle as the American members might say.

There is the Brno .22 for rabbits but I wouldn't mind a Heavy barrel .22 for target shooting.

I'm reasonably Content. I'm trying to be practical and sit on that but I can see it's hard to be content too. I would like a pump action .308 and yeah, there's other stuff I would like but I'm not going to become a serious collector and with safe storage requirements etc I need to try and be content with my lot.

Well, I'm working on getting a .260rem set up for target shooting.

I think, maybe I was thinking or perhaps I should think that I have most of the bases covered. That comes from saying I have 3 hunting rifles being .308, .380a.i. and .300wm, now that covers most things for hunting in Australia.

I don't count the .375H&H in that because it's my DG rifle should I get to hunt something bigger.

I have a .223 for spotlighting and my 7mm-08 Tikka CTR for a truck rifle as the Americanembers might say.

There is the Brno .22 for rabbits but I wouldn't mind a Heavy barrel .22 for target shooting.

I'm reasonably Content. I'm trying to be practical and sit on that but I can see it's hard to be content too. I would like a pump action .308 and yeah, there's other stuff I would like but I'm not going to become a serious collector and with safe storage requirements etc I need to try and be content with my lot.
I like your choices, but what is a .380a.i.? One of Townsend's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen wildcats? LOL

Hey everyone...

BUT!

Russ, I love this 243! Sako (middle gun) with a 1.75 X 6 Leupold. Shoots everything I put in it very well.
IMG_1630.jpeg

Russ,

This places is full of enablers,

Sometimes, some stuff is reasonably priced if you wife is reading this she might like

Or this,

I know money is tight but occasionally some deals come up. . I bet the Tikka is snapped up, might even get some interest from Bob.

The Weatherby line made on Howa actions offer a youth version if you can find one. My wife's GH2 was reasonably priced.

Attachments

Russ,

This places is full of enablers,

Sometimes, some stuff is reasonably priced if you wife is reading this she might like

Or this,

I know money is tight but occasionally some deals come up. . I bet the Tikka is snapped up, might even get some interest from Bob.

The Weatherby line made on Howa actions offer a youth version if you can find one. My wife's GH2 was reasonably priced.
No flies on the Savages either. I have one in .25-06 and now in .308. Dead nuts accurate with very smooth actions.

Just one more drink. One more cigarette. One more pill. One more hit of heroin. Same concept. 243 Win will lead to just one more other drug. Lol!
And one more large bore rifle! It never ends! LOL

Hey everyone...

BUT!

Russ

I like the 6CM over the 243. Barrels come in a faster twist. Finding ammo has not been hard stateside not sure where you are. You can seat the bullets out longer and they do not interfere with the mag as easily as a 243 win.

As far as one caliber away. If my 7PRC shows up, it will be a want vs need at that point. I'm blessed in the regards I have calibers covered. Now rifles for a specific task....we won't go there just yet.

you guys are going to think Im crazy.... but... after "never" finding the perfect caliber for anything... and spending the better part of 40 years buying, selling, trading into probably 50 different calibers across the spectrum from .22 short to 585 Hubel Express..

I think Ive finally found contentment.. in the old school basics...

308 does pretty much everything I want to do at every distance I want to do it at for pretty much anything between the size of a small whitetail up to a a zebra..

223 does pretty much everything I want to do at every distance I want to do it at for pretty much everything smaller than a whitetail..

and 375 H&H does everything I want to do at every distance I want to do it at for everything bigger than a zebra..

Sure.. Ive still got a lot more options in the safe.. lots of things to choose from.. lots of perhaps "better" options if I really want to dwell on it...

but.. I honestly cant think of anything I want to shoot or anything I want to hunt.. anywhere on the planet.. that I cant do with one of those 3 calibers..

I may indeed finally be content :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeesaLague

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles