Officially a .35 Whelen Acolyte

Peter Radekevich

AH member
Reaction score
Here is my new to me and NIB Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen. Thanks to @Warpig602 fir the scope. Got some ammo coming but it will be a few weeks before I can get it to the range

E8E06048-9C8C-49A8-8A5E-02D20FB43570.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Seems like a pretty nice gun in a caliber I’ve been interested in for some 35 yesrs but never owned
Indeed an interesting caliber. Up until I found the Great @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and his disciples here on AH, it was rare to find such consistent enthusiasm for its capabilities. ... after seeing more support here, I did further investigating and analysis into ballistics and loading options. And at a gun show, I found a lightly used Rem 700 (one of my favorites!) in 35 Whelen at a good price, and joined the ownership club. Now I'm Looking forward to finding out for myself what it can do

Another one, we will have Bob along soon sprouting praise.
Congratulations on the new Rifle.
Apparently it is a good thing the Whelen.

Welcome to the dark side D'arth Peter !
Congrats on a fine looking rifle - I do like the stock finish.
@Cervus elaphas
Peter has not gone to the dark side.
He has entered into the light and is exploring the wonders of the Whelen and has entered into the group of the enlightenment that is growing steadily.
Bob

Indeed an interesting caliber. Up until I found the Great @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and his disciples here on AH, it was rare to find such consistent enthusiasm for its capabilities. ... after seeing more support here, I did further investigating and analysis into ballistics and loading options. And at a gun show, I found a lightly used Rem 700 (one of my favorites!) in 35 Whelen at a good price, and joined the ownership club. Now I'm Looking forward to finding out for myself what it can do
@Tbitty
And welcome to the fold I'm sure you will enjoy your journey with the Whelen and learning what it is truly capable of.
Bob

Another one, we will have Bob along soon sprouting praise.
Congratulations on the new Rifle.
Apparently it is a good thing the Whelen.
@CBH
I am thinking young Chris it's about time we met and you to could become truly enlightened and use my Whelen without the need to buy one to start with.
Bob

@Cervus elaphas
Peter has not gone to the dark side.
He has entered into the light and is exploring the wonders of the Whelen and has entered into the group of the enlightenment that is growing steadily.
Bob
Thankyou Obi-Wan Kenobi. May the force (and reliable handloads) be with you.
Cervus Lucas

I wonder how many proud 35 Whelen owners we have on this site

I wonder how many proud 35 Whelen owners we have on this site

If you expand that to include the 9.3x62, its stable mate in the category, there’s a bunch of us who believe in the performance potential of these rifles.

I have been a fan for years, had my first one built on a Mauser action back in the early 90's. Great shooter, like a dumbass I sold it!
Currently have a 1903 Springfield rebored by JES in Oregon and may have another rifle by days end...... we shall see.....

Here in Louisiana I hunt out of enclose, elevated blinds sometimes with very close quarter. I had a 35 Whelen built on a stainless Remington 700 action, 20 inch stainless barrel, a Magpul hunter stock and a Meopta 56mm illuminated scope, I believe 3-12. It is the perfect rifle for my situation. shoot 180 grn. Barnes Vor-Tx

Fellow Rifle Grumps,

The .35 Whelen when loaded with 250 grain round nosed softs should be immensely popular for the majority of hunting conditions in most if not all hunter friendly countries of Africa.
And for the less common, open grassveld and sparse foliage desert conditions, when loaded with a 225 grain spitzer, it likewise should be immensely popular.
But for reasons unclear, it has never caught on with most traveling hunters.

My best guess is that, a large percentage of hunters visiting Africa seem enamored with the .300 Winchester, especially my fellow North Americans.
We like to go fast, LoL.
Indeed the various .300 magnums, including the Winchester version, loaded with 180 - 200 grain spitzers, are about perfect for extremely long shots at thin skinned game, world wide.

Old Velo Dog’s #1 favorite long range (for me that’s out to about 400 meters) hunting cartridge is the .300 H&H Magnum / 180 gr spitzer.
My 2nd favorite for long shots is the 7MM Remington Magnum / 160 gr spitzer.
However again, if one cannot hit a typical dinner plate size target, out to 350 - 400 paces, with a scoped Whelen / 225 grain load, he need not buy a .300 Magnum.
Instead, he needs to practice.

And again, in the more common Africa hunting conditions (thorn forest) the .35 Whelen / 250 grain load is far superior to any .30 caliber cartridge, IMO.
On smaller species, such as reedbok, bushbuck, impala, duiker, etc., the Whelen 250 grainers, at close range are easier on delicious game meat and keepsake animal skins.
On the larger species, the moderate velocity 250 gr .35 caliber round nosed bullet, predictably breaks eland, zebra, waterbuck, etc., shoulder bones quite reliably.

Now having said all that, yours truly does not have a .35 Whelen.
But, it is only because I already own a 9.3x62 Mauser.
It is my opinion that the Whelen is more versatile, due to its ability to shoot the 225 grainers for open country longer shots and yet the 250 grain load, by reputation, seems to be close to or perhaps even about the same in effectiveness as the 9.3x62, for large thin skinned game at close range.

In the 9.3x62, even back when bullets were not in short supply, the lighter 232 grain semi-spitzer was scarce if not rare, here in Alaska where I live.
For .35 caliber bullets, 225 grainers (among other weights as well) we’re very common on my local gun store shelves.
However, only the 286 grain 9.3 bullet was very common here.
In fact now, even with ammunition shortages, I have seen several boxes of 9.3x62 / 286 grain live cartridges for sale, here lately.

Anyway, blah blah blah, out.
Velo Dog.

Fellow Rifle Grumps,

The .35 Whelen when loaded with 250 grain round nosed softs should be immensely popular for the majority of hunting conditions in most if not all hunter friendly countries of Africa.
And for the less common, open grassveld and sparse foliage desert conditions, when loaded with a 225 grain spitzer, it likewise should be immensely popular.
But for reasons unclear, it has never caught on with most traveling hunters.

My best guess is that, a large percentage of hunters visiting Africa seem enamored with the .300 Winchester, especially my fellow North Americans.
We like to go fast, LoL.
Indeed the various .300 magnums, including the Winchester version, loaded with 180 - 200 grain spitzers, are about perfect for extremely long shots at thin skinned game, world wide.

Old Velo Dog’s #1 favorite long range (for me that’s out to about 400 meters) hunting cartridge is the .300 H&H Magnum / 180 gr spitzer.
My 2nd favorite for long shots is the 7MM Remington Magnum / 160 gr spitzer.
However again, if one cannot hit a typical dinner plate size target, out to 350 - 400 paces, with a scoped Whelen / 225 grain load, he need not buy a .300 Magnum.
Instead, he needs to practice.

And again, in the more common Africa hunting conditions (thorn forest) the .35 Whelen / 250 grain load is far superior to any .30 caliber cartridge, IMO.
On smaller species, such as reedbok, bushbuck, impala, duiker, etc., the Whelen 250 grainers, at close range are easier on delicious game meat and keepsake animal skins.
On the larger species, the moderate velocity 250 gr .35 caliber round nosed bullet, predictably breaks eland, zebra, waterbuck, etc., shoulder bones quite reliably.

Now having said all that, yours truly does not have a .35 Whelen.
But, it is only because I already own a 9.3x62 Mauser.
It is my opinion that the Whelen is more versatile, due to its ability to shoot the 225 grainers for open country longer shots and yet the 250 grain load, by reputation, seems to be close to or perhaps even about the same in effectiveness as the 9.3x62, for large thin skinned game at close range.

In the 9.3x62, even back when bullets were not in short supply, the lighter 232 grain semi-spitzer was scarce if not rare, here in Alaska where I live.
For .35 caliber bullets, 225 grainers (among other weights as well) we’re very common on my local gun store shelves.
However, only the 286 grain 9.3 bullet was very common here.
In fact now, even with ammunition shortages, I have seen several boxes of 9.3x62 / 286 grain live cartridges for sale, here lately.

Anyway, blah blah blah, out.
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
You have given a great summary of the versatility of the Whelen. I am very fortunate with my Whelen th At out to 200 yards I can use the same hold on an animal with either the 225 or 250 grain. There is only about an inch difference at that range. You can definitely see the 250 grain impact on game out to 150 yards, the whole body seems to ripple from the hit. Past 200 and the 225 really shows what it can do and retains more authority out to 400 than the 300 win mag. I can easily hit a 6 inch gong at 300 with the Whelen and feel if I had the exact range out to 400 I could hit a dinner plate size target. When the Whelen is sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards it drops on our 20 inches at 400 when the 225 grain is started at 2,800 fps. It shoots flatter than the 308 win with 150 grainers.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlausZylst

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?