Official African Food Thread

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty bummed that I won’t be going to Africa this year because of the corona virus. I haven’t been in three years. I’m craving all things Africa, especially the food.

In this thread let’s discuss all things African food related: Recipes, tips, restaurants, and stores that sell African food products.

Boerewors is my favorite. We buy a 4-H show steer every year and butcher it ourselves. Last year I decided to make wors with some of our extra grind. It turned out really good for a first attempt at making it stateside. I’ve been eating the heck out of it since I’ve been staying away from the restaurants. I’ve been making pap with masa flour, and it turns out ok. I’m not sure if it’s my technique or if I need to find some real pap. Here is a pic of my niece and I making the wors.

The other African treat I have right now is a jar of homemade Marula jelly I get each year from a friend’s mom. I love that stuff.

Africans, help out your geographically challenged friends and bust out some of Ouma’s best recipes to share. I might not be able to go on Safari this year, but I can try my best to eat like I’m on Safari.

0195F2DC-E7A9-412B-8E10-67B36F9BC81B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite hunting camps is equipped with a wood fired oven.
I have yet to meet the person that can resist a slice of freshly baked bread spread with butter together with a slight aroma of acacia smoke.
Baking time - 1hr 20min
IMG_20190923_161438.jpg

IMG_1306.JPG
We built a braai to do some proper African meals. It has become a weekly social event on the farm. We brought the racks and baskets back from Africa. Interestingly, lodge sells potjes. Proper ones with feet on the bottom and coal rims on the lid. Everything is cooked on coals. We have to make do with oak as mopane is in short supply in Bama.

We are looking at possibly building a biltong box this week if all works out. Would be good to have some castle beer with it but have only found Tusker local.

Let me know how the biltong box turns out. I’m very interested. I have one of those big cabelas dehydrators and I’ve thought about trying with that. I’m not sure how low the temp will go.

There used to be a company that imported castle. You could get it at a South African restaurant in Atlanta. Also, some of the bigger liquor stores could get it, but nobody ever stocked it. Last time I checked, which has been a few years, nobody was importing it.

View attachment 347088We built a braai to do some proper African meals. It has become a weekly social event on the farm. We brought the racks and baskets back from Africa. Interestingly, lodge sells potjes. Proper ones with feet on the bottom and coal rims on the lid. Everything is cooked on coals. We have to make do with oak as mopane is in short supply in Bama.

Sweet!!! I need something like that.

One of my favorite hunting camps is equipped with a wood fired oven.
I have yet to meet the person that can resist a slice of freshly baked bread spread with butter together with a slight aroma of acacia smoke.
Baking time - 1hr 20min
View attachment 347085

I remember the wood oven bread from when I hunted in Zambia. So good!!

I miss a good bottle of gemmerbier (ginger beer). Picked this bottle up from a roadside stand in the middle of the Karoo heading to Beaufort West.

Nothing like sipping a cool drink from a recycled brandy bottle while driving. Ha ha ha.
20180831_134331.jpeg

I miss a good bottle of gemmerbier (ginger beer). Picked this bottle up from a roadside stand in the middle of the Karoo heading to Beaufort West.

Nothing like sipping a cool drink from a recycled brandy bottle while driving. Ha ha ha. View attachment 347105
Nice, in Australia you can buy it bottled commercially. Bundaberg is the best one.
Unfortunately we did not see anything like that .
I liked the Rusk’s simple things but I like to dunk a biscuit. The PH wife gave my wife a recipe.
We had nice meals starting with. Great Lamb roast first night with some Milk torte.
We had some traditional stew type foods at Pumba game reserve and a good steak at Cattle Barron in Addo Park.
Tried the game meats and worst at the lodge as the owners had a butcher shop in town so we got good variety.

I can for the life of me not remember the official African name for this device, so help is appreciated. It was basically a round clamshell device with two long handles on each side. You place a couple of pieces of fresh bread in each half, then the filling, close, and cook over the fire. For breakfast, it would be eggs and meat, maybe some cheese. For lunch, maybe meat and vegetables or ham and cheese, or for a snack or dessert maybe a fruit filling. I bet I ate 50 of these on a two week safari in Tanzania and never got tired of them. Always planned to buy the little device, but alas, just great intentions.

Mort, you are referring to a Jaffle Iron or Jaffle maker.

You can order them online from www.takealot.com

I'm also missing the food of the African continent....

I’ve been making pap with masa flour, and it turns out ok. I’m not sure if it’s my technique or if I need to find some real pap.
View attachment 347075
Pap is basically grits to my simple understanding. The masa is a bit fine ground and also nixtamalized to produce the texture/flavor that you are likely looking for. Get you some grits and try it out.

Bobotie was one of my favorites in Namibia. I haven't tried it yet at home, but this post gave me some inspiration. Chutney also opened my eyes.

Shopping links that I have used:

https://biltongusa.com

https://www.thecapegrocer.com

Question

How much is African food influenced by the previous colonizer?

Like will I see French-style cooking in the Congo, British in East Africa, etc.?

I miss all the meat, specially Eland, Roan and Bushbuck, pap...well not so much :D

Mort, you are referring to a Jaffle Iron or Jaffle maker.

You can order them online from www.takealot.com

That’s it! I hate to say some of the names I was coming up with. As many as ate, you would think it would be right there next to my Mother’s name!

Thanks so much!

Question

How much is African food influenced by the previous colonizer?

Like will I see French-style cooking in the Congo, British in East Africa, etc.?
Yes. Namibia definitely has German and then English and Dutch influences from South Africa. South Africa less German but more Dutch and English. And I have a friend who works in Senegal and French influences appear to be very present there.

That’s it! I hate to say some of the names I was coming up with. As many as ate, you would think it would be right there next to my Mother’s name!

Thanks so much!
I was wondering if they had a different name there. We call it a Jaffa’s iron I need Australia too You maybe able to by an electric version to for home with Teflon non stick mould.
We grew up with the cast one for camping and use on the fire. In the house we used it on a gas stove. Tin spaghetti in it, Baked beans if you like them. An egg and some salt and pepper Bust the yoke!
Or anything you like really.
We were offered a cooked breakfast mostly bacon and eggs if we wanted it. I wouldn’t eat it everyday but they got a surprise when I asked if they had tin spaghetti to go on the side or Worcestershire sauce for the bacon. They must think we eat differently in Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandy75942

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt