HookMeUpII

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, Georgia, RSA
I have a friend that is a retail products broker for some of the largest retailers in the country, he also manufactures durable goods in Asia for a nationally known beauty supply company; so he moves large amounts of shipping containers from China to USA.

I was recently speaking with him about my theories on greed based inflation and was rather shocked at how quickly and honestly he shared his opinion.....

"Oh definitely! Pre covid it cost us $5K to get a container from China to USA, then COVID happened and the price went up to $30K per container and now the cost of moving a container is down to $6K but our customers became accustomed to the higher shipping rate and altered their prices so why would I lower their cost and give up an extra $24K in profit per container?"

I have a friend that is a retail products broker for some of the largest retailers in the country, he also manufactures durable goods in Asia for a nationally known beauty supply company; so he moves large amounts of shipping containers from China to USA.

I was recently speaking with him about my theories on greed based inflation and was rather shocked at how quickly and honestly he shared his opinion.....

"Oh definitely! Pre covid it cost us $5K to get a container from China to USA, then COVID happened and the price went up to $30K per container and now the cost of moving a container is down to $6K but our customers became accustomed to the higher shipping rate and altered their prices so why would I lower their cost and give up an extra $24K in profit per container?"

I guess for us, time will tell. Then again, this is our first shipment so we have no reference to go by. I'm just factoring a large number in my head and anything less is a blessing.

I never could figure out that when a person spends thousands on a hunt of a lifetime and then tries to save pennies on the shipping. You still have to pay land shipping from your taxidermist in Africa to the coast and then the shipping company. Deal with the humidity of the trip from Africa to wherever and then deal with getting your trophies from the dock through USFW, and customs.

I just don't see any advantage to it to save a small amount of money in the whole cost of the safari.

However it may be easier than airlines for the big 5 but that's about it.

I never could figure out that when a person spends thousands on a hunt of a lifetime and then tries to save pennies on the shipping. You still have to pay land shipping from your taxidermist in Africa to the coast and then the shipping company. Deal with the humidity of the trip from Africa to wherever and then deal with getting your trophies from the dock through USFW, and customs.

I just don't see any advantage to it to save a small amount of money in the whole cost of the safari.

However it may be easier than airlines for the big 5 but that's about it.

It all depends on how much you are saving. I personally don't know whether I'll go air or ship. I'm an inpatient person to begin with so I'll probably spend more for air unless it's a whole lot more.

$5,000 difference on a big crate between air and sea? That's a lot.

$1,000 difference? Not as big of a deal.

I really can't say, honestly. I imagine some folks with big mounts coming back, sea freight is the only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuigiIsaac

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?