Not addicted to hunting buffalo?

I'm with you. I hunted buff in wild Zim and ended up taking two great bulls..... but hunting buff in the future is debatable for me. Given the choice between buff and big kudu, I think I'd lean kudu. Given the choice of buff or other animals I've never hunted, I'd go with the new species.

My only trip to Africa was for Plains game in the Eastern Cape and was incredible. However I felt I missed out on a couple of things: Hunting by watching trackers work their magic, and seeing, hearing elephant, lions, Buffalo, hippos in the wild. I wouldn't necessarily need to hunt them, just being in the bush with them while I hunted more affordable game with trackers would be great. Is that an option, or must one hunt Buffalo and other DG for that to happen?
Want to have to get out of the way of elephant and buffalo while hunting plains game? Call Neil or Gary Duckworth with Mokore and book a hunt at Sengwe Research

I enjoy hunting almost any legal game under fair chase conditions. I think the difference for me is, and as a couple of others have noted, the conditions and potential outcomes of such a hunt. That makes deciding to walk down and pull the trigger on one of these animals somewhat different than potting a whitetail from my stand out back. I am not sure it is necessarily "addicting," but it is a very different and for me at least, a fulfilling experience.

It is rather like a choice in careers. I would never say a profession that offers the opportunity to step out of a C-135 at 800 feet on a moonless night while wearing a hundred plus pounds of gear is a better or worse choice of careers than any other. But it is a choice that adds a certain added sensory appreciation that one doesn't get behind a desk. :oops: For me at least, a buffalo hunt provides that sort of different experience.

I enjoy hunting almost any legal game under fair chase conditions. I think the difference for me is, and as a couple of others have noted, the conditions and potential outcomes of such a hunt. That makes deciding to walk down and pull the trigger on one of these animals somewhat different than potting a whitetail from my stand out back. I am not sure it is necessarily "addicting," but it is a very different and for me at least, a fulfilling experience.

It is rather like a choice in careers. I would never say a profession that offers the opportunity to step out of a C-135 at 800 feet on a moonless night while wearing a hundred plus pounds of gear is a better or worse choice of careers than any other. But it is a choice that adds a certain added sensory appreciation that one doesn't get behind a desk. :oops: For me at least, a buffalo hunt provides that sort of different experience.

If one keeps their eyes closed all their jumps are on a “moonless night!”

After 4 trips and 4 bulls and 1 cow, and possibly another cow hunt in 2023. Yes I am a Buffalo addict I guess. Just something about the thrill of the hunt and adrenaline rush. When I loose that it’s time to quit. I also am a kudu addict 4 Kudu in 4 trips. 52 -58 inches.

Its unlikely I'll ever be in Africa without buffalo on the list. It just does it for me, the rifles, the tracking, everything about a wild Africa buff hunt. That being said I get wrapped up in Eland and Kudu as well LOL. Its all an evolution though life, part of what makes being a big game hunter interesting.

...I’m currently driving home from another successful Coues deer hunt. Coues deer have the makings of a very serious addiction.
OH YEAH! I live in Coues deer country. Very addictive. I have only shot a couple of buffalo, but compared to the Coues deer they seemed pretty easy... at least with my PH on my hunt.

I WILL hunt buff again. And sable. And gemsbok. And kudu.

After hunting two buffalo and 6 Eland, I enjoy hunting eland a lot more.

This is me as well. I loved hunting buffalo and will do it again. But I enjoyed eland more.

A buffalo a year keeps a hunter from being pear. I intend to do just that for the rest of my days. It is the whole experience that draws me: the area, the buildup, the double, the dangerous big game excitement.

This is me as well. I loved hunting buffalo and will do it again. But I enjoyed eland more.

Eland will wear your boots out! I love hunting eland. It doesn’t hurt that it’s a fraction the cost of a buffalo!

I shot an eland in TZ... trophy fee was HIGHER than the buffaloes I shot. Go figure.

Love Eland hunting. Went to Bots to just hunt eland with bushman trackers. Told Rian I wanted the oldest eland I could find. On eland every day for 10 days. Took 2 old bulls. wonderful

Botswana is an awesome place to hunt eland. Botswana has a lot to offer beyond elephant.

I love buffalo hunting and plan on hunting them on most of my future hunts. I’ve only shot 7 buffalo and hope to at least triple that number before I finish my hunting days. I’ve been charged once, from about 12 yards…. By a cow. I managed to dodge her and she almost gored my PH. It ended up being quite a rodeo for about a half hour while we chased her through the bush. She looked like a colander by the time she fell, holes everywhere.

Last year in Tanzania, I shot my first Buffalo great; but screwed up on the 2nd bull by taking a shot I should have passed on. We ended up following him and his two buddies through a dense palm jungle with less than 10 yards visibility at times. We spent several hours tracking where the visibility would go from great to 5-20 yards in most of the thickets. It finally got dark and we had to wait till the next day to continue. We followed then for hours before bumping them and that was that. As it turned out, the bull was not mortally hit as we encountered him several days later but never got a shot opportunity. That was an expensive screw up on my part.

My next hunt will be in the Selous in August and several buffalo will be on license. After that hunt, Cameroon and I hope to include a Savannah buffalo. I’ll always hunt buffalo and also hope to hunt elephant bulls at least one or two more times.

Last edited:
I am an addict .... there, I said it. I took my third in May and it was by far the most challenging. Shot mine at 17 yards on the seventh morning after tracking buff for a week through the thickest bush I have seen. Damn, I can feel the adrenalin again as I type!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaraRincon

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]