Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
I've purchased a few boxes of the Norma 450 Rigby flat nose solids, but haven't been able to locate any reports on how they perform. Most threads here on AH seem to be more concerned with Barnes, WoodLeigh, etc. At less than $70 per 10, these seem to be a bargain, but as we all know, the proof is in the pudding.

download (10).jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg

The Norma 300Gr flat nosed monometal solid (fired out of the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum) has served me very well for hippopotamus on land. I highly recommend them.

It’s a real shame that Norma recently began to manufacture these with round noses again.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply Hunter-Habib.

Even the Norma website has very little information about them. Are they an actual Norma projectile, or are they another brand loaded into Norma ammo, similar to Barnes or Sierra bullets loaded into Federal ammunition?

They seem to have a coating or plating I've never seen before. Not exactly brass, nor copper, nor nickel.

Would these be appropriate ammo for most shots on Elephant? The picture on the box should give a clue, but it's never wise to assume anything.

Thank you so much for your reply Hunter-Habib.

Even the Norma website has very little information about them. Are they an actual Norma projectile, or are they another brand loaded into Norma ammo, similar to Barnes or Sierra bullets loaded into Federal ammunition?

They seem to have a coating or plating I've never seen before. Not exactly brass, nor copper, nor nickel.

Would these be appropriate ammo for most shots on Elephant? The picture on the box should give a clue, but it's never wise to assume anything.
It's my pleasure, @skydiver386

The flat nosed ones which you bought, are proprietary Norma projectiles. But the current production Norma factory loads use Barnes Banded Solids (which are round nosed).

Yes, the flat nosed ones which you bought are an excellent choice for elephant hunting.

Norma loaded DG CALIBERS for NOSLER. Those were flat nosed solids. Never know. If they are using Barnes now, may be Nosler made those solid bullets.
Krish

A question that i got, by reading this thread.
Does norma has constant production line for all producrs, or does it make different loads, and different cartridge production periodically?
I have problem finding norma swift a frame 375 hh 300 grain cartridges. Not available around.

A question that i got, by reading this thread.
Does norma has constant production line for all producrs, or does it make different loads, and different cartridge production periodically?
I have problem finding norma swift a frame 375 hh 300 grain cartridges. Not available around.
Norma no longer lists them.

Woodleigh they list now.
Are they ok, for Safari? In 375?
They list the 350 gr woodleighs in 375. I haven’t used but those are the bullets Kevin Robertson recommends to take a 375 H&H into a 416 category. They also list the 300 gr Oryx. They’d be good for PG but there are better options for buffalo. The oryx is bonded but not a heavy jacketed bullet.

Edit: Do you see the 350 gr available in Europe? I haven’t seen it available in US in factory ammo in long time.

Last edited:
Edit: Do you see the 350 gr available in Europe? I haven’t seen it available in US in factory ammo in long time.
We are facing shortages on everything, and in general DG ammo is not in high demand.
For example, a friend of mine with 300 win mag vanilla caliber have issue finding norma oryx 300 wm ammo.
So, I am on the permanent lookout for 375 HH ammo, when it becomes available to buy for stock. Need to know, what is good quality. If Woodleigh becomes available, will buy, after confirmation here.

I suspect the Norma flat tipped brass solids were made in Sweden for Norma (I have some in .500 Jeffery) but I never got it confirmed..

I suspect the Norma flat tipped brass solids were made in Sweden for Norma (I have some in .500 Jeffery) but I never got it confirmed..
Well I have some Nosler solid bullets in Nosler packaging 375, 458 solids.. Also hav, 500j and 458 lott solid ammo loaded by Norma for Nosler. The bullets are all similar. So hard to say who made the bullets. Norma also loaded partition bullets for nosler in their brass for Nosler. The brass was head stamped Nosler.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makeannee

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.