Newby

Bo-ona

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post, I just joined tonight! I found this forum because I just came across a good deal on a CZ 550 505 Gibbs and was getting info on the 505 and am close to pulling the trigger on this one, nice wood, and I have a soft spot for wood,must be the carpenter in me. I know the owner of this rifle and he shot it without any issues, but looking at others who have the CZ 550's, sometimes there are feeding issues. Since the owner hasn't experienced any feeding problems, will problems occur over time?
The other "problem" is that I like to use my guns, and my fear is I will want to hunt Cape buffalo after I have the 505 for a while. Is Cape buffalo hunting very expensive? A lot of people hunt PG, but not a lot is discussed for DG.

Welcome to the site. There are lots of info on here. And if you talk to some of the outfitters from the site you will find a deal on buffalo.

Welcome to AH. Check the Hunt Reports section here on the forum, and take it from there.
@matt85 will be able to give you some advice on the rifle that you are looking at. He used a .505Gibbs on his Cape Buffalo hunt with us.

All the best.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH! If there are no feeding issues with the gun now, they shouldn't develop later on unless the gun breaks and with a CZ , it's built strong.

welcome to the forum!

as mentioned, I hunted my buffalo with a 505 Gibbs built by AHR on a CZ 550 action. ive also handled/shot a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs owned by @ActionBob and I can tell you that at least with CZ actions there is one issue that you will not be able to avoid. the issue I'm talking about is the feed lips don't like to hang on to the large cartridges and if the gun is bumped hard with the bolt open then you might lose a cartridge. this issue did not affect me or ActionBob on our hunts but its something we could not entirely fix.

hunting cape buffalo isn't inexpensive but id still recommend it. just make sure you research your outfitter well before you decide on who will take you. we have plenty of great outfitters on this forum and @KMG Hunting Safaris is one of them. Marius has taken good care of me in both South Africa and Namibia.

if you would like any load data for the 505 Gibbs or information about large bore rifles please feel free to send me a private message. if you have never fired a large bore rifle before then I recommend contacting me before you try the rifle out for the first time.

-Matt

Thanks for the responses, I see it didn't take long to get good information. The feeding issues on the CZ 550 action is a bit concerning, I like my rifles to function perfectly, especially one intended for DG. Just to give a little background on me I have a large bore rifle, a 50 BMG. I really like shooting it and reloading for it as it hardly kicks because of the weight and the muzzle brake, speaking of which, I am a little surprised that more large bore rifles do come with a MB, they make shooting so much more enjoyable.
Matt85 I do not know how to send a private response, but if you could I would appreciate it.

Does a scope make sense for a close range rifle, especially a heavy recoiling rifle like the 505?

Reloading looks like an economical way to shoot the 505, I am seeing ammo for $20 a round, ouch! I wanted a different bore diameter than my 50 BMG, that's why the 505 looks appealing to me, my concern is that a politician will outlaw all rifles in the .510 diameter, focusing on the BMG of course. My interest in the 505 Gibbs started when I was very young reading a book on a PH many years ago using a 505 to cull elephants. As I recall his barrel was so hot from the rapid fire, that he had blisters on his hand, not sure of the author. Any information on the 505 would be welcome and thank you for all of the responses.

Bo-ona

Welcome Bo-ona. You asked, "is hunting a Cape Buffalo expensive?" Expensive is a relative term, the other question is compared to what? There are a lot of outfitters that are sponsors of this site. Check them out. See if they offer the type of hunt you are looking for? Look at their Trophy Fees for additional animals etc. Ask any question you may have, this site is filled with knowledgeable, experienced people that will do their best to answer them. You may not get the same advice from everyone as each of us is "coming" form his own experiences. What you will not get is BAD ADVICE.

Welcome to AH!

Shootist43,
You are correct, Cape Buffalo hunting is very in-expensive compared to a Brown Bear hunt, which a friend of mine went on. Looks like a starting point around $10k but by the time air travel and trophy fees somewhere around $15k.

welcome to the forum!

as mentioned, I hunted my buffalo with a 505 Gibbs built by AHR on a CZ 550 action. ive also handled/shot a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs owned by @ActionBob and I can tell you that at least with CZ actions there is one issue that you will not be able to avoid. the issue I'm talking about is the feed lips don't like to hang on to the large cartridges and if the gun is bumped hard with the bolt open then you might lose a cartridge. this issue did not affect me or ActionBob on our hunts but its something we could not entirely fix.

hunting cape buffalo isn't inexpensive but id still recommend it. just make sure you research your outfitter well before you decide on who will take you. we have plenty of great outfitters on this forum and @KMG Hunting Safaris is one of them. Marius has taken good care of me in both South Africa and Namibia.

if you would like any load data for the 505 Gibbs or information about large bore rifles please feel free to send me a private message. if you have never fired a large bore rifle before then I recommend contacting me before you try the rifle out for the first time.

-Matt
Welcome to the board @Bo-ona

I suggest you approach Shooting a,big bore hunting rifle differently than Shooting a heavy BMG. How often do you carry that BMG though the brush, at the ready and then shoot it off hand? Or even off sticks?

Matt is young but has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share when it comes especially to shooting these types of rifles. He's the same age as my oldest son but I was glad to take his advice and it made all the difference in my moving from a 375, to a 416 and then 505 Gibbs.

He not only knows the rifles well, but also has a great way of explaining how to hold them when shooting, without a muzzle brake. And your PH may tolerate a muzzle brake, but he will despise you for using one on a hunt where he will likely be close to the damned thing and without hearing protection.

You can learn to shoot the gun and control the recoil without one. A mercury or spring recoil reducer in the stock, and just having a correct weight and balance will make all the difference you need.

Of course some people don't listen, @Royal27 :rolleyes::eek:

Welcome!!!

And dang Bob.... LOL

I also have a 340 Weatherby which I had built on a Mauser action (Mark X) and a #3 barrel shoots great but can break your teeth if you don't shoot it correctly. It has a fiberglass stock and is a bit light for a heavy recoiling rifle, probably kicks more than a 375, since it is a little light and has more energy.

Welcome to AH sir!

Thank you CAustin, I can already see that this will be an expensive forum!

Welcome to AH Bo-ona! Glad you found us and looking forward to reading your posts...

Welcome to AH !

Thank you Nyati, I feel right at home here as there are a lot of big bore enthusiasm here!

Welcome to AH! a buffalo hunt in Africa is as affordable as a plains game hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonoreMos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well