AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
newzealandsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
New Zealand Professional guides assoc, Safari Club international, Dallas Safari Club, Wild sheep foundation, Houston Safari Club, SCI Master Measurer
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, Canada, U.S.A
New Zealand Elk (Wapiti) Hunt

New Zealand Elk (Wapiti)

full

The largest of our game animals.

Elk, or Wapiti, were gifted to New Zealand by President Roosevelt in 1909, with 20 animals being released in George Sound, Fiordland in the South Island.

full

Elk (cervus elaphus nelsoni) or Wapiti are the largest of all the big game hunting species in New Zealand.

full

tahrdetail.png

This huge (up to 1,000lb) deer is the largest of the round-horned deer in the world, with antlers running 5×5 (10 points) and larger in New Zealand they are closely related to Red Stag. The best elk trophies often exceed fifty inches in length. New Zealand Safaris offers clients access to hunt on the elk property that is well known throughout all the New Zealand hunting outfitters. This large, privately owned estate has exceptional trophy elk and while on safari you will typically see between 6-15 trophy elk bulls that can range in score between 350-500+ S.C.I. inches both typical and non-typical.

New Zealand Elk (Wapiti) by New Zealand Safaris posted Feb 27, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Because there are very low numbers of pure wapiti left in the wild in New Zealand, free-range hunting is extremely difficult and restricted to a few very remote areas in the rugged south west portion of the South Island where there is a ballot system in place.

Elk hunting in New Zealand typically runs from late February through August. Since the elk rut (bugle) coincides with the red stag, fallow buck, and sika stag ruts many clients find it makes a nice addition to their New Zealand hunting safari.

full

full

full

full

full

full

ELK HUNTING NEW ZEALAND
...A Few Things To Know

Your New Zealand hunting guide will give you an indication of what score he will be, we are focused on what the client likes in antlers foremost and class. If the bull goes over that score break the client is not obliged to pay an upgrade unless previously discussed, it is about the hunt and what our client likes over score.

From there we plan our approach to get into a suitable range between 80 - 250 yards and take time to make the shot. Bow hunting on these guys will get your heart pumping with average shots at approximately 40 yards where we can use cover, calling and blinds to get in close. Non hunters are encouraged to take part in the hunt and capture some amazing photos of your New Zealand Safari.

Have the elk bred with the red deer?

Reactions: BWH
Have the elk bred with the red deer?

Yes they can and do more often than not. The privately owned property I hunt on and hunts I offer are pure Elk unless a client specifically was interested in a hybrid.

Reactions: BWH
Wonderful place to hunt.

Elk-Typical-scaled.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]