AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
newzealandsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
New Zealand Professional guides assoc, Safari Club international, Dallas Safari Club, Wild sheep foundation, Houston Safari Club, SCI Master Measurer
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, Canada, U.S.A
New Zealand Boar Hunting

Boar Hunting

full

Wild boar are a prize to local hunters.

A large strong animal armed with sharp tusks, hunting has often been called a test of bravery for centuries.

full

Captain Cook's liberation of pigs (Sus scrofa) in New Zealand, while not the earliest release, was probably the first successful release. Wild black pigs became known as Captain Cookers.

tahrdetail.png

They are today widespread throughout New Zealand though noticeably absent from a few areas. There are now, however, a variety of shapes and colours in wild pig populations due to the influence of many domestic breeds. New Zealand has a large population of pigs, a combination of feral, Russians and blues.

Wild boars can reach up to 440+ lb (200+ kg) for adult males, and can be up to 6 feet (1.8 m) long.

If surprised or cornered they may become aggressive - particularly a sow with her piglets - and if attacked will defend themselves vigorously with their tusks.

full

WILD BOAR HUNTING NEW ZEALAND
...A Few Things To Know

One characteristic by which domestic breed and wild animals are differentiated is coats. Wild animals almost always have thick, short bristly coats ranging in colour from brown through grey to black. A prominent ridge of hair matching the spine is also common, giving rise to the name razorback in the southern United States. The tail is usually short and straight. Wild animals tend also to have longer legs than domestic breeds and a longer and narrower head and snout. Trophy hunting in New Zealand is based around the hunt, the size of the boar, and the length and mass of a boars tusks that can grow in excess of 3 inches out of the jaw on big mature boars.

full

Currently wild boars are hunted both for their meat and to mitigate the damage they cause to crops and forests. Generally dogs are used, to track and subdue their quarry, which is then dispatched using a knife, rifle or bow. In several countries such hunting is a popular recreation, known as "pig hunting" in Australia and New Zealand, and "hog hunting" in the South of the United States. But be forewarned: it requires great stamina to run up and down the mountains after the dogs. Once contained by the dogs, the hunter finishes the pursuit with a camera, knife or gun. Brave Kiwis prefer using a knife! New Zealand Safaris can organize a guided hunting trip with dogs, or as typically happens we can run into them while out hunting different species like red deer or fallow deer.

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]