Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia, Croatia, Slovenia
I just received my copy of Safari Times. It appears that now, you are restricted from taking more then 3 firearms out of the USA and have blocked firearm travel to 40 countries. Blocked: Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Russia, Sudan, South Sudan, Zimbabwe (however exemption for Zimbabwe) CARICOM countries.

Proposed time limit that the firearm can be out of the country from 45 days to 180 days.

And once again the Automated Export System - AES.

Last edited:
Along those lines, my Northern Cape PH/Outfitter told me no more guns through Bloemfontein, RSA.

I just received my copy of Safari Times. It appears that now, you are restricted from taking more then 3 firearms out of the USA and have blocked firearm travel to 40 countries. Blocked: Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Russia, Sudan, South Sudan, Zimbabwe (however exemption for Zimbabwe) CARI-COM countries.

Proposed time limit that the firearm can be out of the country from 45 days to 180 days.

And once again the Automated Export System - AES.

I had heard rumblings of this earlier in the year, can you provide a link to the actual regulations?

Unfortunately, the September issue is not online yet. But the Federal Register is:

13. Section 740.14 is amended by revising paragraph (e) to read as follows:

§ 740.14
Baggage (BAG).
(e) Special provisions for firearms and ammunition. (1) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or over controlled under ECCN 0A502 and 0A508 and shotgun shells controlled under ECCN 0A505.b and .c under this License Exception, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three firearms may be taken on any one trip (this includes shotguns in ECCNs 0A502 or 0A508, as well as firearms in ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, or 0A507).

(ii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage.

(iii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes, scientific purposes, or personal protection, and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in (e)(2) of this section, shotguns may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All shotguns and unused shotgun shells must be returned to the United States. Note that since certain countries may require an Import Certificate or a U.S. export license before allowing the import of a shotgun, you should determine the import requirements of your country of destination in advance.

(2) A nonresident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such shotguns and shotgun shells as he or she brought into the United States under the provisions of the Department of Justice Regulations (27 CFR 478.115(d)).

(3) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export under this License Exception firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and 0A509 and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three firearms may be taken on any one trip (this includes firearms in ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, or 0A507, as well as shotguns in ECCNs 0A502 or 0A508), and no more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition may be taken on any one trip.

(ii) “Parts,” “components,” “accessories,” and “attachments” exported pursuant to this paragraph (e)(3) must be of a kind and limited to quantities that are reasonable for the activities described in paragraph (e)(3)(iv) of this section or that are necessary for routine maintenance of the firearms being exported.

(iii) The commodities must be with the person's baggage.

(iv) The commodities must be for the person's exclusive use and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in paragraph (e)(4) of this section, firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition, may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCN 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and 0A509 and all unused ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a exported under this License Exception must be returned to the United States.

(v) Travelers leaving the United States temporarily are required to declare the firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition being exported under this License Exception to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer prior to departure from the United States and present such items to the CBP officer for inspection, confirming that the authority for the export is License Exception BAG and that the exporter is compliant with its terms.

(4) A nonimmigrant alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such firearms controlled under ECCN 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505 as he or she brought into the United States under the relevant provisions of Department of Justice regulations at 27 CFR part 478.

(5) Destination eligibility under this License Exception for items controlled under ECCNs 0A501, 0A502, 0A504, 0A505, 0A506, 0A507, 0A508, or 0A509 is limited to countries other than those in Country Group D:5 (except for Zimbabwe) and “CARICOM” countries.

As an old professor used to say, “The power to regulate and tax is the power to destroy.” What seemed like a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory years ago, seems to be in its infancy.

While unlikely, it is not without possibility that African nations could tax “Rental rifles“ at such a punitive level we would have to bring our own guns. Our government, in kind, could make it cost prohibitive to export guns on a short term basis. Not where we are now, but there is more than one way to kill hunting in Africa.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the September issue is not online yet. But the Federal Register is:

§ 740.14
Baggage (BAG).
(e) Special provisions for firearms and ammunition. (1) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or over controlled under ECCN 0A502 and 0A508 and shotgun shells controlled under ECCN 0A505.b and .c under this License Exception, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three firearms may be taken on any one trip (this includes shotguns in ECCNs 0A502 or 0A508, as well as firearms in ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, or 0A507).

(iii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes, scientific purposes, or personal protection, and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in (e)(2) of this section, shotguns may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All shotguns and unused shotgun shells must be returned to the United States. Note that since certain countries may require an Import Certificate or a U.S. export license before allowing the import of a shotgun, you should determine the import requirements of your country of destination in advance.

(2) A nonresident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such shotguns and shotgun shells as he or she brought into the United States under the provisions of the Department of Justice Regulations (27 CFR 478.115(d)).

(3) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export under this License Exception firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and 0A509 and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three firearms may be taken on any one trip (this includes firearms in ECCNs 0A501, 0A506, or 0A507, as well as shotguns in ECCNs 0A502 or 0A508), and no more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition may be taken on any one trip.

(ii) “Parts,” “components,” “accessories,” and “attachments” exported pursuant to this paragraph (e)(3) must be of a kind and limited to quantities that are reasonable for the activities described in paragraph (e)(3)(iv) of this section or that are necessary for routine maintenance of the firearms being exported.

(iv) The commodities must be for the person's exclusive use and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in paragraph (e)(4) of this section, firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition, may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCN 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and 0A509 and all unused ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a exported under this License Exception must be returned to the United States.

(v) Travelers leaving the United States temporarily are required to declare the firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition being exported under this License Exception to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer prior to departure from the United States and present such items to the CBP officer for inspection, confirming that the authority for the export is License Exception BAG and that the exporter is compliant with its terms.

(4) A nonimmigrant alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such firearms controlled under ECCN 0A501, 0A506, 0A507, and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505 as he or she brought into the United States under the relevant provisions of Department of Justice regulations at 27 CFR part 478.

(5) Destination eligibility under this License Exception for items controlled under ECCNs 0A501, 0A502, 0A504, 0A505, 0A506, 0A507, 0A508, or 0A509 is limited to countries other than those in Country Group D:5 (except for Zimbabwe) and “CARICOM” countries.

So will there be no change for a USA citizen to bring his firearm to Zimbabwe to hunt?

§ 740.14
Baggage (BAG).

Would extra barrels for an R8 be "accessories and attachments?"

Along those lines, my Northern Cape PH/Outfitter told me no more guns through Bloemfontein, RSA.
Had problem with Bloemfontein in 2023. Problem is airport so small, rifle transit so few that RSA unable to find a part time contractor to hand rifle transit paperwork. Kimberly was our alternate airport vs original destination of bloomfontein.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanieduach

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]