New Member: Hello from Missouri, USA

Mike98

Reaction score
I'm from Laclede County, Missouri. I have been reading threads on this forum about Mausers and their associated calibers because I am about to build on a Mauser action. I currently trying to decide on the best caliber for me. I've found a lot of knowledge and experience on here. Take care and have a great day!

Mike98, welcome to the AH forum! Yep, lots of folks on here are very knowledgeable on the Mauser actions. I’m looking forward to your rifle build.

Welcome aboard Mike98. What are you planning on hunting and where? What calibers are you considering? Are there larger animals in future plans? What distances are involved? What is your budget? Do you have a gunsmith in mind, or is this going to be a DIY project?

Welcome aboard Mike98!

Welcome Mike98 to the forum. I hope you realize what you have joined! The call of Africa will grow stronger and you will want a double rifle. Then you will get the incurable big bore addiction.
Have fun with your rifle build a keep us informed.
Great avatar!
Boyd

Hello Mike98,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Thank you all for your comments! I hope that this answers your questions and maybe you can help answer mine.
I was recently blessed with an FN Mauser standard length action. My parameters for choosing an appropriate caliber:
1. suitable for whitetail deer regardless of size
2. low to mid range accuracy (flat shooting up to at least 500 yards - target shooting) and effectiveness (clean kills up to 250 or 300 yards)
3. low recoil so my wife can use it as needed
4. I primarily hunt in wooded and brushy areas with shots around 100 so the bullet needs to not be easily deflected by limbs and sprouts
5. factory ammunition needs to be available in the U.S. without taking out a personal loan as I do not reload, yet though I am not opposed to it.
I'm considering in no particular order 7x57, 6.5x57, 6.5-55 Swede, and 6.5-06. I have researched all and think all would work well. I would like to hear from those who have experience with these cartridges. I have 7x57 (I have an old Remington single shot) and 30-06 brass, so if I choose a caliber that requires me to reload, I believe from what I found through research I can reform my existing brass safely to accommodate any of the above cartridges. If I am wrong about that, please let me know.

I am trying to decide if one of these calibers check more boxes than the others. Researching numbers and articles only goes so far. I want to hear from real-world experience.

I am on a tight budget. I plan on doing as much as I can myself and being as patient as possible. It may take a while to finish the build. I'll use a gunsmith if I don't feel comfortable doing something. However, I do not have one picked out right now.

Hunting in Africa is on my bucket list. It will most likely be plains game.

I hope I answered everyone!

Mike98

Welcome aboard!

Giday Mike and welcome to the A H forums. Build reports are very well liked on the forum so do post as you go, even to your cartridge deliberations. I built a 6.5x57 and like it a great deal. Effective in all the parrameters you mention. You will ne be able to use the 06 brass for the 6.5x55 as they have differing case head sizes.

Welcome to AH!

Hi Mike, welcome to AH !

I'm from Laclede County, Missouri. I have been reading threads on this forum about Mausers and their associated calibers because I am about to build on a Mauser action. I currently trying to decide on the best caliber for me. I've found a lot of knowledge and experience on here. Take care and have a great day!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! I’m a few counties east of you in cape. Good luck with the build - all those listed sound like good options. 7x57, 270 or 30-06 are all hard to beat

Giday Mike and welcome to the A H forums. Build reports are very well liked on the forum so do post as you go, even to your cartridge deliberations. I built a 6.5x57 and like it a great deal. Effective in all the parrameters you mention. You will ne be able to use the 06 brass for the 6.5x55 as they have differing case head sizes.
Thank you! Good to know about the Swede.

Welcome! I’m a few counties east of you in cape. Good luck with the build - all those listed sound like good options. 7x57, 270 or 30-06 are all hard to beat
I have a Remington Sportsman 78 in 30-06 and love it! I do like the reputation and capabilities of the 7x57.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrylNade

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?