New guy from Northern Canada

vandoo

AH member
Reaction score
I like hunting, shooting and collecting firearms.

I hunt Elks, Moose, bears, deers, coyotes and birds.

Only where it is extremely cold. I dream of a hunting trip in Europe and in Africa. I am looking for a double rifle and this is how I found this site. Looking for Krieghoff, Merkel, Heym or Chapuis double side by side. I don't know what caliber yet. Hesitating betwen 375h&h or 9.3x74r. Would like a spare barrel in 20g.

Married with the most understanding and beautiful wife in the world. I have 3 kids. 42. Retired infantry 20yrs, now a dr.

That's pretty much it!

WOW! In a short piece you say a lot. Welcome to the forum and try to keep warm tonight.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome vandoo. You sound like "one of the guys" already. There are lots of Canadians on this site along with a lot od Double Rifle owners. What type of African game or North American game are you planning to hunt? I'm sure you'd get lots of opinions oh which would be the best caliber to get. I recently went to Africa with a 34 Whelen pushing 225 Gr. Barnes TSX bullets at 2800 fps. Look all three calibers up in/on a ballistics table and the results will surprise you. P.S I don't think that an (s) is required after the elk, bear, and deer that you hunt. What kind of dr. are you?

Welcome!

15975998.jpg

Welcome Vandoo. Yet, one more Canadian in the mix.

Welcome to AH vandoo! Nice intro, glad you found us. I think that you will find yourself in Africa sooner than you thought... ;)

Welcome to AH!

Welcome vandoo .. you are gonna like it here . What part of Canada ? ... I'm here in Ontario .
Glem

Welcome, from the cold North of Alberta

Welcome to AH !

Vandoo, welcome! I hunted in the Yukon in August, which I guess qualifies as northern Canada. You came to the right spot here. Lots of good info and friendly folks.

Dave

Welcome vandoo. You sound like "one of the guys" already. There are lots of Canadians on this site along with a lot od Double Rifle owners. What type of African game or North American game are you planning to hunt? I'm sure you'd get lots of opinions oh which would be the best caliber to get. I recently went to Africa with a 34 Whelen pushing 225 Gr. Barnes TSX bullets at 2800 fps. Look all three calibers up in/on a ballistics table and the results will surprise you. P.S I don't think that an (s) is required after the elk, bear, and deer that you hunt. What kind of dr. are you?

Hi,
I am not a medical dr. I have a PhD in business administration. English is my second language, French first but have worked everywhere in Canada.

I have a Fabarm Asper rifle in 30-06 for canadian game. It's accurate, light and I just love double guns and rifles. My hunting paradise is 3.5 kms by 1 km of northern canadian forest. We are a group of 4 serious hunters. I believe I can shoot straight and fast. It is subjective and there are many better shooters than me but I practice a lot, compete a lot and have a shooting range close to my home. I own black rifles, hunting rifles in various calibers and pistols for IPSC competitions. Just love the sport.

I am a researcher so I am in the theorical portion of my quest of buying a double rifle side by side or o/u. I really believed my Asper rifle would be the last rifle I buy but I am like a 10 yr old kid. I play with a rifle 5 minutes and already want another one. I recently sold a few rifles and pistols to order a rifle in 15k range. The only rifle I will keep is my springfield M1a for fun and asper as a backup rifle for my future acquisition.

My first step is to decide what I want to do with it. I hunt moose, elk, deer, coyote and birds. I have a hunting dog for birds. Also, my wife and I are planning a hunting trip in Europe, possibly Alaska too and eventually Africa in 2 years from now. I will continue to do this for a long time... It's a passion.

So my first decision is the caliber. This is why I joined this forum. I spent weeks reading some of the posts and I am impressed with the fantastic information provided by the respectful members. Right now, I am thinking 9.3x74r or 375h&h for a double rifle and would love to have an extra barrel in 20g. I know that in some places in the world you might hunt boar one day and quail the next one. I have analysed all recoil charts and I am not afraid of recoil. But since this is the only double rifle I will purchase, I want to do it right. And will be getting old. I will study your suggestion 34 Whelen trust me...

Second is what brand... I am still hesitating between Krieghoff, Merkel, Chapuis, Heym or Verney-Carron. Krieghoff is leading today... But I was into Merkel yesterday! I don't know. Help please!

Welcome o AH sir!

Welcome to AH. I too would love a double in 375 or 9.3x74 both are fine choices and no animal can can tell the difference between the two but the 375 is the legal minimum for DG in most African countries and its much easier to find ammo for the 375. Good luck with your search, let us know things turn out.

Welcome from Northren Alberta, I bought a Merkel in 470 NE 15 years ago. They are a very nice working rifle.

Vandoo & Shootist43: I could be wrong, but I think there was a typo in your previous post: Did you mean 35 Whelen, instead of 34? Hate being a day late and a Whelen short. :)

The 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06. The cartridge has gained popularity in the US in recent years because states with primitive weapon season require a 35 caliber minimum. But at the end of the day, it's a cartridge that is a small step up from a 30-06 and probably would only be legal as a PG gun in Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyrtleDick

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.