New from the southernmost swamplands

Swamptrudger

AH senior member
Reaction score
Greetings to all!

I'll be totally honest, and say I'll probably never get to Africa to hunt. But I do envision Alaska and out west in the USA.

My main reason to join up here is AH seems to be the concentrated brain-trust for actual real information regarding powerful rifles, which I enjoy. I won't go into comparisons, none needed.

My, older fart, seen a lot of shooting and hunting. More shooting than most I'd imagine, and I've also gotten to work on and admire some pretty nice rifles over the years. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time more than a few times with that regard. I spent about a decade and a half as what I hope would be considered being a real gunsmith. My shop had plunge EDM and wire EDM, lathe, bridgeport, surface grinder.... I made things from scratch when needed. But there is so much to learn, everyday I try to pickup a tip, and pass along what I can. Gunsmithing was in the 80's. These days, I've got other priorities for making a living.

That's about it.

:S Welcome:

Welcome! Certainly glad to have you here with us!

Welcome to AH Swamptrudger! Nice to have you here.

Welcome to AH.

Challenge accepted. We will gladly entice, enthus, entertain, and with no limits get that horrible thought of not going on an African hunt, at least once, out of your mind.

I'll start with:

If you like to hunt gators, Then you'll definitely want the challenge to hunt hunt an African croc and hippo.

As a deer hunter: hunting African antelope: kudu, eland, gemsbok, springbok, impala, etc., gives a whole new meaning to deer and elk hunting here in the USA.

A pig hunter?: warthog and bushpig.

Enjoy fishing: wet your line for fish species not found any where in North America.

Greetings to all!

I'll be totally honest, and say I'll probably never get to Africa to hunt. But I do envision Alaska and out west in the USA.

My main reason to join up here is AH seems to be the concentrated brain-trust for actual real information regarding powerful rifles, which I enjoy. I won't go into comparisons, none needed.

My, older fart, seen a lot of shooting and hunting. More shooting than most I'd imagine, and I've also gotten to work on and admire some pretty nice rifles over the years. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time more than a few times with that regard. I spent about a decade and a half as what I hope would be considered being a real gunsmith. My shop had plunge EDM and wire EDM, lathe, bridgeport, surface grinder.... I made things from scratch when needed. But there is so much to learn, everyday I try to pickup a tip, and pass along what I can. Gunsmithing was in the 80's. These days, I've got other priorities for making a living.

That's about it.
Welcome, you will find this website entertaining, informative and a great way to exercise your wallet.

I live near the Manchac swamp north of lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas, plenty of gator hunting and deer.

Where abouts do you live?

Welcome to AH.

If you like to hunt gators, Then you'll definitely want the challenge to hunt hunt an African croc and hippo.

Gator hunting ain't much of a challenge, I'll admit. Its rather barbaric as practiced, sadly. However, I only got one hunting rule: You shoot it, you eat it. And I'm wondering just how many Hippo-bologna sandwiches one beast would render?

I eat, and most of forum members eat meat that they hunt in Africa.
Of course, you can not all eat of all five large animals that you shot in 7 days.
the rest of meat, goes to market, to local farm, or to local community.

All is eaten.

Back at home, I like my trophies, but everything I shoot locally, gets to my freezer, and then gets consumed. (I am from Europe, btw)

One member always says this is the greatest forum on earth.
I dont know about that, but also I dont know any better forum either.

Thanks for joining and welcome!

Last edited:
Greetings to all!

That's about it.
1717357356236.png

Seriously, welcome. I've been hanging around here long enough I finally got my first Africa hunt booked.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Time until departure to Johannesburg, RSA:

Weeks: 10
Days: 6
Hours: 3
Minutes: 34
Seconds: 58
Milliseconds: 696

Welcome from another old swamp rat that went to the mountains. Might as well start saving...lol.

Welcome Aboard!!! I haven't been to Africa yet either, but the hope is strong. And beware, big bore fever is strong here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH! We look forward to you sharing your stories!

Welcome aboard!

Greetings Swamptrudger,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Even though you have no plans to hunt in Africa, nonetheless when you get around to it, I encourage you to have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.

I live in Anchorage.
Guided hunts here in Alaska are generally more expensive (a lot more) than guided hunts in Africa.
Just sayin’ .

And large bore rifles ya, many here (me too) are with you on those for sure.
Not really a “large” bore but, the .375 H&H is my favorite hunting cartridge.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GradyC035

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa