New camera for the hunt

Backyardsniper

AH legend
Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Messages
2,017
Reaction score
5,087
Location
Kentucky
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Part of my plan for this summers hunt was to aquire a "nice" camera. My thinking on this was two fold. One being pictures a hell of a lot cheaper than taxidermy and two pictures a infinitely more transportable than taxidermy, as in I can have them on my phone. I mean lets be honest, you can pay for another nice hunt with the money you can pretty easily tie up in taxidermy bills. Now to be honest I did not know anything about cameras, I am not a tech guy to begin with, much less a photographer. I had been pondering on this situation for a while and through a stroke of complete luck I sold a rifle to a fellow member here and during out conversation I mentioned my photography plan and low and behold this fellow is an avid photographer. He was kind enough to point me in the right direction on the proper equipment, buying enough gear but not too much, one can tie up as much money in cameras as one can in safari rifles apparently, and with a little bit of guidance and a handful of YouTube videos I am now somewhat learning how to take pictures. I think this will be a very worthwhile skill to have on my future safaris. I love to shoot stuff, but there are some things its just way more affordable to take a photo of ;)
With that I give you my first attempt at some decent photo's with my new Nikon D5600. Having subjects to work with that can't complain is also very helpful
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG
 
As someone who is dealing with a taxidermy and shipping bill right now...you are correct in your statement. Basically could have had the same hunt for what was spent on taxidermy and shipping. It will now be something extremely special for me to get it mounted.
 
I think you have the right idea going with the pictures.

A couple of days ago we were with a friend in RSA my wife was showing him photos taken with her new iPhone 14 pro. He then proceeded to show here pictures he had taken with his Samsung S22. His pictures were some of the most amazing that I have ever seen.

Just a thought!

Lon
 
I bought a Nikon Coolpix a900 in 2017 prior to my first safari as a means to not drag a full size DSLR on hunts. I found I really don't use it with the limited exception of longer distance shots. the newer iPhones just have phenomenal capabilities and are one less thing to carry. I still bring the Nikon along, but it lives in my backpack almost my entire trip.
 
I bought a Nikon Coolpix a900 in 2017 prior to my first safari as a means to not drag a full size DSLR on hunts. I found I really don't use it with the limited exception of longer distance shots. the newer iPhones just have phenomenal capabilities and are one less thing to carry. I still bring the Nikon along, but it lives in my backpack almost my entire trip.
I will admit I probably would have done the same with the phone, but my wife is coming with me and she won't be hunting so I figured she would enjoy using the camera while we were out in the field
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,188
Members
169,925
Latest member
hannd
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top