Need Advice, Looking for a Checkerer

SwampTrooper

AH veteran
Joined
Mar 17, 2024
Messages
157
Reaction score
372
Location
South Florida
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hello all,

I’m working on restocking an old 30-06 and got the stock shape right where I want it to be, but I still need to checker the gun. I have no skills in checkering and wouldn’t want to do a lousy job. Buying the tools would be a bad investment as I would rather pay someone who knows what they’re doing. I messaged Sherry Abraham who seems to have done some checkering for other people on here because I really like her patterns, her quality of work (she used to checker for Kimber rifles), and her fair prices. I emailed her inquiring if she had availability but she did not respond. I think she may be out of the game and her site is still up? Latest I could confirm, she was working last year. I also checked Ahlman’s which had the same price for the job, about $350 for a simple wrap around forend and standard pistol grip, meeting at the top of the wrist, but not wrap around. However, they’re fixing their machines and are not taking orders for four months. Does anyone know of a similar service that has a similar price point? I’ve seen some others that get extremely expensive really fast and while I understand it’s a serious art form, I want to keep the project on budget. Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated. Pic of the project attached.



IMG_0432.jpeg
 
You could try the American Custom Gunmakers Guild checkering specialists listed on their website. Good luck with your project.
 
Sherry has done three for me over the last few years

 
Sherry has done three for me over the last few years

I can’t get a hold of her. She hasn’t responded to email :(
 
Contact Accurate Innovations and see if they are willing to checker a stock for you or refer you to someone who does it. I’ve had them build and provide “extra” checkering an a stock for me before
 
A bit late to the comments, but a fellow by the name of Evan Koch out of the states, has magic hands when it comes to checkering. He’s been helping me alot the past couple of years with stockmaking and checkering. He’s currently working on a websight, if you happen to have social media (Instagram) he’s quite active in there and has a lot of his work posted.

I’m not sure he would be “budget”, but might be worth a look.

Super nice work on your rifle there!!

 
You could ask LeRoy at Canyon Creek if Connie (his wife) does checkering for stocks other than those he makes. Her work is outstanding.
 
I took the advice of an earlier poster (sort of) and jumped into a checkering group on facebook. I scanned some of the posts and commented on one that I admired and asked if they were looking for work. They agreed and I mailed stock off. I have to say, they really did an amazing job and right on budget too. 20 lines per inch in a design that I drew myself. He did in two weeks and mailed it back. I couldn’t be happier and already sent him a project for a custom .375 H&H. He has his own website if others want to check this guy out. His website is for stock work, but in fact he is a custom gunmaker and can pretty much make whatever you want for a competitive price. You don’t have to pay parkwest or Griffin and Howe prices for a gun in classic safari configuration and caliber thats a bit more bespoke than a Winchester model 70 or CZ etc. I’ll post pics of the checkering work tomorrow in better light. He’s a real nice guy and I’m happy to promote his work. This is his site https://ah-custom.com/
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,516
Members
169,576
Latest member
Teresa7277
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top