My Bucket List Problem

dgtlclose

Reaction score
We just did New Zealand, see my intro. Now Africa is next on my Bucket List for 2025 and I have a Big Problem. Yup, my wife's sister just returned from Safari with Elewana in Kenya and well she's convinced that our hunting trip needs to first include a repeat of the sisters trip.

So, as I still work for a living and vacation time leaves me around 10 days in say Tanzania, Zambia or Mozambique without spending more flight time. Thus, from the research I've done so far I've leaning towards north Mozambique maybe because I think its going to be a better value, but I'm just guessing on that.

I like the feel of Mozambique type of country, wild and remote. New Zealand will be the last time I hunt a fenced type of landscape - that was a bit more shopping than hunting and not so much for me.

Game - top of my list is a Monster Sable, other Plans (Buffalo, if I see one I really like, and of course I will like one).

Any Problem Solvers, willing to offer up suggestions on how to do a pampered Safari and Quality Hunt in less than 20 days?

Steve

Last edited:
Zambia and Mozambique will offer you the best option for a shorter safari and chance at Sable accounting for cost. Tanzania will be the costliest and if you want some of the unique endemic species you’ll need a 21 Day Premium License.

@spike.t can likely hook you up on a sable in Zambia at his Takeri Reserve.

Last edited:
Another good option might be Namibia. @Velo Dog took a monster sable with @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS in Namibia recently.
You can connect flights from Windhoek to Nairobi through Joberg which should make that reasonably easy….

Last edited:
We just did New Zealand, see my intro. Now Africa is next on my Bucket List for 2025 and I have a Big Problem. Yup, my wife's sister just returned from Safari with Elewana in Kenya and well she's convinced that our hunting trip needs to first include a repeat of the sisters trip.

So, as I still work for a living and vacation time leaves me around 10 days in say Tanzania, Zambia or Mozambique without spending more flight time. Thus, from the research I've done so far I've leaning towards north Mozambique maybe because I think its going to be a better value, but I'm just guessing on that.

I like the feel of Mozambique type of country, wild and remote. New Zealand will be the last time I hunt a fenced type of landscape - that was a bit more shopping than hunting and not so much for me.

Game - top of my list is a Monster Sable, other Plans (Buffalo, if I see one I really like, and of course I will like one).

Any Problem Solvers, willing to offer up suggestions on how to do a pampered Safari and Quality Hunt in less than 20 days?

Steve
I would urge you to contact @spike.t as well. You would have a an excellent opportunity at a truly superb Zambian sable. Mine from a couple of years ago with him.

sable1.jpg

Pampered hunting, not fenced? Not likely. Pampered hunting is in RSA behind a fence. Unfortunately, if you are wanting the Kenya photo and then a hunting, be prepared for flights and drives. All of which take away from days hunting.

As other others have said. Takeri has lots of Sable and big ones. However, no Buffalo. Takeri is fenced on one side. Kenya Airways flies direct from Nairobi to Lusaka.

While Mozambique, also has lots of Sable and buffalo, that’s going to be more expensive and more time. Scheduled flight plus charter (no way would I go by vehicle in Mozambique anywhere).

Sounds like you have a great idea
Just a suggestion, if giant sable is your first choice, Zambia or Tanzania are the obvious choices
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions
Ernest. Info@spearsafaris.com

Pampered hunting, not fenced? Not likely. Pampered hunting is in RSA behind a fence. Unfortunately, if you are wanting the Kenya photo and then a hunting, be prepared for flights and drives. All of which take away from days hunting.

As other others have said. Takeri has lots of Sable and big ones. However, no Buffalo. Takeri is fenced on one side. Kenya Airways flies direct from Nairobi to Lusaka.

While Mozambique, also has lots of Sable and buffalo, that’s going to be more expensive and more time. Scheduled flight plus charter (no way would I go by vehicle in Mozambique anywhere).
Sorry I wasn't clear, the Safari is pampered with the wife. The hunting I'm looking for no fence and hard hunting. I grew up hunting elk in the western US. I maybe able to talk my wife into a Safari closer to my hunting area - maybe that would work.

I would think this is a common ask with hunters bring wives that want to Safari first - maybe not.

I’d look into hunting with Jamy Traut Safaris or Kou Kuas in bwabwata park in the Caprivi. They get some beautiful sable from the area and have very good buffalo. Namibia gives you a lot of options to transfer to ranch land later in the hunt for species like kudu, gemsbok, springbok, etc and see a new region. The park option should give your wife the numbers of game and photos she’s looking for.
Another option I’d look into is charlton McCallum safaris in Zimbabwe. Dande has good sable although not monsters by matetsi or Zambian standards. I just finished my second hunt with them and saw multiple herds. It’s tough hunting because hills and brush but area is absolutely beautiful. Lots of buffalo but a pure tracking hunt and likely for sable as well. If you finish early you can catch tiger fish on the Zambezi. You won’t see huge numbers of plains game here though. I’ve been very successful both trips, but it’s not a photographic area for a reason. The game is there but visibility generally isn’t.
You could also look into the matetsi units in Zimbabwe. My dad just finished an excellent hunt with classic African safaris in matetsi 2. He took a beautiful old 42.5 sable and nice buffalo among others. Saw lions and elephant daily.

Last edited:
I’d also advise you to look for outfitters that directly manage and hunt areas full time not just buying occasional quota there. There are a few exceptions, but I’d generally avoid booking with an outfitter who isn’t a full time PH in the country you are looking to hunt. Also wild Africa is under an incredible amount of encroachment and poaching pressure. I’d seek out properly managed areas and outfitters that put back into the areas. The better areas typically cost considerably more partly because of this. Talk with a lot of references to see if they had consistent experiences.

Based on what you are describing, I would highly suggest looking into the Nyasa Game Reserve in northern Mozambique. Its basically the Selous region of Tanzania, only across the border in Mozambique. The day rates are significantly less than Tanzania, its beautiful, very remote, excellent hunting, wild Africa, an adventure to get too, and your wife would love it. Tented safari camps.

The Roosevelt Sable is an endemic species, though smaller in size than what you would get in Zambia.

I would suggest Grant Taylor at Mashambanzou Safaris. Grant has a great reputation, and did a very good job for me on a recent hunt in Mozambique.

But there is no shortage of options.

If you want a hard rewarding hunt you're looking at the wrong species in my opinion. Go after kudu. They are essentially free roaming even in fenced acreage. Very crafty, difficult to hunt, habitat is rough. I found sable about on par with mule deer for difficulty. Not terribly challenging.

This is kudu country I hunt in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
20220828_110857.jpg
20220828_072313.jpg

Kruger Park and tours are a few hours drive away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available