Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Mozambique, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
There is any number of ways to configure a Tiny Ten, here’s mine.

Like many people, I started on ‘the path’ in South Africa with a common duiker. That was about 10 years ago. Ten years, five (5) countries, and a bunch of safaris later, I completed a Tiny Ten in Mozambique by taking a Livingstone Suni. I booked and came all the way to Mozambique just for a 10lbs animal. That’s the obsession part that kicks in.

Anyway, my ‘Ten’ consist of:
  1. Common (gray) Duiker (RSA)
  2. Red Duiker (RSA)
  3. Blue Duiker (RSA w/hounds)
  4. Klipspringer (RSA)
  5. Steenbuck (RSA)
  6. Western Bush duiker (Cameroon)
  7. Red-flanked duiker (Cameroon)
  8. Oribi (Uganda)
  9. Guenther’s dik-dik (Uganda)
  10. Livingstone Suni (Mozambique)
I know I’ve only listed four countries and I said it took 5; I had an unfortunate miss on a Sharps Grysbuck in Zimbabwe a few years ago in pursuit of the Ten. It happens.

While the diminutive antelope don’t command the same draw as a Kudu bull or a Buffalo, they are squarely in the “if you know, you know” category. Very challenging when you are specifically hunting them.

I’ve had to make shots that range from a very long shot across mountain tops (Klippy) to point blank in the thickets cover (L. Suni), and timing the jump to take them in the air above the tall grass (Oribi). I’ve hunted them with dogs (B. duiker), in damp jungle (R. duiker), in the dry desert of E. Africa (G. dik-dik) with everything from a shotgun to a .22 up to the venerable 375 H&H (Red-flanked duiker and Steenbuck).

I have not hunted the jungle species from Cameroon, CAR or more rare species from places like Liberia yet, but I do have plans to hunt the Cape Grysbuck in the Cape, Danamara dik-dik in Namibia and hopefully a Kirk’s at some point in Tanzania.

I’m currently still trying for a Sharpes in Mozambique. One could actually take the Red, Blue and Common duiker, L. Suni and Oribi in the camp I’m current at in coastal Mozambique. Excellent pygmy antelope hunting in Mozambique.

The tiny species used to be a target of opportunity, and now it’s a target of desire. It’s really fun hunting. And you have to travel to a variety of countries and regions therein to be able to hunt them.

I’m not encouraging anyone to start, but if you find yourself on the path to, or past, the Tiny Ten - welcome. And good luck!

That’s great, congratulations! One of my biggest hunting regret is not pursuing the TT earlier than I did. On my first safari in 2014 I could have checked off ; red duiker, blue duiker, suni, oribi and bush duiker. This was in Coutada 10 in Mozambique. We saw shootable males of each multiple times during my 10 day hunt. I spent a lot more time in the area and seeing those little boogers really grew on me. At the time I only had eyes for the big stuff and long to get back up there for a TT safari and of course another buffalo.

Tiny 10 is a great topic and a goal that I haven't accomplished yet. I never tire of seeing them or discussing them. Do you mind sharing some of your photos?

Awesome. I love the little critters and I think I have set a mental goal to go after Craig Boddingtons list he made. I think it’s just an article he wrote for SCI but it’s a good starting place and a list nonetheless.

I only have a steenbok but I’m headed back to Khomas Namibia and will drive north with them to collect (if I’m lucky) a Damara dik dik in may of next year. I will also hope to get grey duiker and that will make 3/10 of this little made up list I hope to complete.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something special about these little antelope…

Dagga Boy, Red Duiker with a broken horn in Mozambique… the 400gr Barnes X never even knew it hit an antelope. Clean hole, in and out.
637EF0CC-D3F9-4246-AA75-3A1DA1493CCC.jpeg

888AE62E-9BA3-42D1-AF94-F2225F76F69F.jpeg

Nice Klippie in the Gamsberg Mountains of west, central Namibia. I actually called this one up with a squealing rabbit call. We had spotted a pair of them on a hill top but ran out of cover and they were staring at us. John says, “break out that varmint call and let’s give it a go”

One squeal and they both came running at full speed. The female damn near ran us over. The ram was more cautious but walked up 20 yards away… popped him with my ‘06.

Here’s the Charge of the Klippie on YouTube

...seems you will need to hit the play button..

Ed Z

There is something special about these little antelope…

Dagga Boy, Red Duiker with a broken horn in Mozambique… the 400gr Barnes X never even knew it hit an antelope. Clean hole, in and out.
View attachment 618890

View attachment 618891
Nice Klippie in the Gamsberg Mountains of west, central Namibia. I actually called this one up with a squealing rabbit call. We had spotted a pair of them on a hill top but ran out of cover and they were staring at us. John says, “break out that varmint call and let’s give it a go”

One squeal and they both came running at full speed. The female damn near ran us over. The ram was more cautious but walked up 20 yards away… popped him with my ‘06.

Here’s the Charge of the Klippie on YouTube

...seems you will need to hit the play button..

Ed Z
Ed,
That is incredible and what an experience.

Most would have thought you were exaggerating the claim if no video! Super cool

There is any number of ways to configure a Tiny Ten, here’s mine.

Like many people, I started on ‘the path’ in South Africa with a common duiker. That was about 10 years ago. Ten years, five (5) countries, and a bunch of safaris later, I completed a Tiny Ten in Mozambique by taking a Livingstone Suni. I booked and came all the way to Mozambique just for a 10lbs animal. That’s the obsession part that kicks in.

Anyway, my ‘Ten’ consist of:
  1. Common (gray) Duiker (RSA)
  2. Red Duiker (RSA)
  3. Blue Duiker (RSA w/hounds)
  4. Klipspringer (RSA)
  5. Steenbuck (RSA)
  6. Western Bush duiker (Cameroon)
  7. Red-flanked duiker (Cameroon)
  8. Oribi (Uganda)
  9. Guenther’s dik-dik (Uganda)
  10. Livingstone Suni (Mozambique)
I know I’ve only listed four countries and I said it took 5; I had an unfortunate miss on a Sharps Grysbuck in Zimbabwe a few years ago in pursuit of the Ten. It happens.

While the diminutive antelope don’t command the same draw as a Kudu bull or a Buffalo, they are squarely in the “if you know, you know” category. Very challenging when you are specifically hunting them.

I’ve had to make shots that range from a very long shot across mountain tops (Klippy) to point blank in the thickets cover (L. Suni), and timing the jump to take them in the air above the tall grass (Oribi). I’ve hunted them with dogs (B. duiker), in damp jungle (R. duiker), in the dry desert of E. Africa (G. dik-dik) with everything from a shotgun to a .22 up to the venerable 375 H&H (Red-flanked duiker and Steenbuck).

I have not hunted the jungle species from Cameroon, CAR or more rare species from places like Liberia yet, but I do have plans to hunt the Cape Grysbuck in the Cape, Danamara dik-dik in Namibia and hopefully a Kirk’s at some point in Tanzania.

I’m currently still trying for a Sharpes in Mozambique. One could actually take the Red, Blue and Common duiker, L. Suni and Oribi in the camp I’m current at in coastal Mozambique. Excellent pygmy antelope hunting in Mozambique.

The tiny species used to be a target of opportunity, and now it’s a target of desire. It’s really fun hunting. And you have to travel to a variety of countries and regions therein to be able to hunt them.

I’m not encouraging anyone to start, but if you find yourself on the path to, or past, the Tiny Ten - welcome. And good luck!
Congrats, this is trully a great achievement!
I am not sure I will proceed in this path, I have too much other things and priorities, from DG department, spiral horns, etc.

So far, I only have steenbok, from tiny ten list.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, if conveniently possible, to show us the photo of your tiny ten taxidermy?

Steenbok - Copy.jpg

Most would have thought you were exaggerating the claim if no video!

I had seen a very old video of Craig Boddington calling Klipspringer in the same way. I usually have my Haydel's predator call in my pack, but I made sure to bring it on that trip. We called a bunch of klippies just from the truck for pictures. I imagine it is a distress call and they come in to investigate.
IMG_0050.JPG

I suppose it's similar to calling red duiker in the bush. Trackers will hold their nose and make a particular squalling noise. It definitely works.

Ed Z

Last edited:
I had seen a very old video of Craig Boddington calling Klipspringer in the same way. I usually have my Haydel's predator call in my pack, but I made sure to bring it on that trip. We called a bunch of klippies just from the truck for pictures. I imagine it is a distress call and they come in to investigate.

I suppose it's similar to calling red duiker in the bush. Trackers will hold their nose and make a particular squalling noise. It definitely works.

Ed Z
I brought a “pocket prey” electronic hand held made by Perry Madl to central Namibia.

The steenbok were not to interested in a lip squeak sound. It did make a honey badger stop in his tracks. We saw a group of klippies but I didn’t have it with me. Next time.

Thanks for sharing Ed

I've been focused on DG on every trip and most of those trips offer only limited encounters with TT. However, I will make a dedicated trip at some point and pick up several. My next trip this Oct/Nov is for lion/croc/buff but there is a chance to pick up a few more TT.

I brought a “pocket prey” electronic hand held made by Perry Madl
I'll have to look into those..

Here's what I carry almost everywhere.

Main tube is full volume squealing rabbit, but it also has a tiny "squeaker" when they get close

These also make for a nice gift to PHs and trackers... I traded one for a nice buffalo skin ammo pouch :)

Attachments

The little guys are very much addictive. Congrats on the achievement

Congratulations on your collection. Underrated little critters. I’ll never be able to complete the T10, but take the opportunity when I can.

Tiny 10 is a great topic and a goal that I haven't accomplished yet. I never tire of seeing them or discussing them. Do you mind sharing some of your photos?
I’m currently in camp in Mozambique. Wifi is pretty good, but uploading pictures was too slow. I’ll post some photos next week when I’m back in U.S.

It sounds like you're in a very good area for TT. Which operator?

Congrats, this is trully a great achievement!
I am not sure I will proceed in this path, I have too much other things and priorities, from DG department, spiral horns, etc.

So far, I only have steenbok, from tiny ten list.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, if conveniently possible, to show us the photo of your tiny ten taxidermy?

View attachment 618893
I have my taxidermist working on some now, but don’t actually have any in my possession. Lost some of the earlier pieces when Jonas Brothers of Colorado failed a few years ago. Was a real mess. Had to start again. I’ll post some when the newer stuff arrives from taxidermist.

It sounds like you're in a very good area for TT. Which operator?
I’m currently hunting with Grant Taylor’s Mashambanzou Safaris in coastal Mozambique. We are in the sand forest concessions just North (I think it’s North) of Beira. We are just south of the Zambezi Delta. Excellent area, and Grant runs a first rate operation. I’ll do a full hunt report as I’m headed back to the States earlier next week.

Ok it sounded like Coutada 10 or 11 perhaps. Looking forward to your report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?