Mule Deer Migrations

Jfet

AH legend
Joined
Mar 28, 2013
Messages
2,037
Reaction score
4,718
Media
76
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
2
Europe
1
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan

This is new to me.(y)
 
Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.
 
Amazing critters! I love Mule Deer... And hunting them :)

Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.
Generally true of whitetail deer for sure. Although here in Idaho there are areas where the whitetails have to migrate further, maybe up to 10 miles, to get to survivable winter range. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.
The mule deer are a different story. We have numerous mule deer herds that migrate 40 - 50 miles or more between summer and winter range.
This migration described in the video is pretty amazing! Makes you wonder why? Why are these deer in a perpetual state of motion, migrating through regions with "resident" deer who have different summer and winter ranges?
Very, very interesting...
 
Very interesting video. I noticed Pinedale, Wyoming is right in the middle of the migration route. Assuming I draw a tag in 2018, I'll be doing a moose hunt in that area. Pinedale's elevation is 7125 ft and I'm guessing the Wind River Range is a considerably higher. I see the mule deer are smart and stick to the flatter areas and lower elevations to migrate.

upload_2017-5-1_7-3-41.png
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,443
Members
169,566
Latest member
billfishes
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top