Mr Taylors KO values

norfolk shooter

AH legend
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
2,124
Reaction score
3,533
Location
Norfolk, UK
Media
22
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo, Eastern Cape
Alright chaps,
I have been wondering just how relevant the KO values are today given the bullets we use are better than back when Taylor came up with his formula?
Also would a round with a KO value of 48 be a good DG round if the shooter has confidence and ca shoot it rather well?

Many thanks as always

NS:D Beer Bottle:
 
9.3x62 0.3660 0.1830 A-Frame 300 2,300 0.385 2,840 0.320 0.105208708 95.6 36.1

According to a spreadsheet I use to track such interesting things, a 9.3x62 with 300 grain bullet at 2,300 fps MV has a Taylor KO of 36.1. (Wt in grains x V x Bullet Diameter) / 7,000. This from the Robertson book...assuming I did it correctly.

If that were considered the minimum for buffalo, then 48 would be well up there. Other than that, I have no idea.
 
I should think that in terms of 'KO' factor, bullet quality and construction has little bearing.

As I understand it, Taylor based this formula on imparting energy, ie stunning an elephant with a poorly placed head shot, not on consistent penetration (hence why BC or penetration depth is not included in the formula).

Actually, as far as this formula is concerned, the bullet is assumed to dump all of it's energy into the animal in an area the size of the frontal cross section of the calibre, presumably imparting some kind of hydrostatic shock effect that 'knocks down' the animal either via hydrostatic shock or concussion. Interestingly, the only bullet that would actually do this is reality is an extremely frangible one which 'fails', blowing up on impact and not exiting the animal. Better penetration, if the bullet leaves the animal, simply means that the 'KO energy' is not imparted effectively and is wasted, retained in the projectile flying into the ether.

As for a KO value of 48, that's what, .404Jeff ish? That, a very hot 375 or a very mild .416. I'd back any of those 3 calibres!

Al.
 
I find Taylor's analysis a fascinating historical work.
 
I should think that in terms of 'KO' factor, bullet quality and construction has little bearing.

As I understand it, Taylor based this formula on imparting energy, ie stunning an elephant with a poorly placed head shot, not on consistent penetration (hence why BC or penetration depth is not included in the formula).

Actually, as far as this formula is concerned, the bullet is assumed to dump all of it's energy into the animal in an area the size of the frontal cross section of the calibre, presumably imparting some kind of hydrostatic shock effect that 'knocks down' the animal either via hydrostatic shock or concussion. Interestingly, the only bullet that would actually do this is reality is an extremely frangible one which 'fails', blowing up on impact and not exiting the animal. Better penetration, if the bullet leaves the animal, simply means that the 'KO energy' is not imparted effectively and is wasted, retained in the projectile flying into the ether.

As for a KO value of 48, that's what, .404Jeff ish? That, a very hot 375 or a very mild .416. I'd back any of those 3 calibres!

Al.
Al the figure of 48 is in fact from a mild 416 Rigby load. It seems to group rather well. The moment I go up 5-6 grns the groups open up like a cheap birds legs mate
 
Like all calculations, you must test to prove it. I think you need to go on an all DG hunt to validate the 48 KO theory! Maybe elephant, Cape buffalo, hippo and with soft bullets, lion and leopard. I’ll be watching to see your results!:ROFLMAO::LOL::rolleyes:
 
Like all calculations, you must test to prove it. I think you need to go on an all DG hunt to validate the 48 KO theory! Maybe elephant, Cape buffalo, hippo and with soft bullets, lion and leopard. I’ll be watching to see your results!:ROFLMAO::LOL::rolleyes:
Would a muntjac deer count?:LOL:
 
A 400gr at 2,000 by any chance?
Your VERY close!! 2035. Im going to play with the load a little the odd grain or 2 up and down
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,341
Messages
1,573,354
Members
169,741
Latest member
RainaCisne
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top