mpox summer 2024

Well Damn!... I thought this was contained and on the verge of eradication.

The DRC has had more than 14,000 of the 15,132 mpox cases in Africa since the beginning of the year, according to Africa CDC. The case fatality rate has been about 3%, but Kaseya emphasized that rate jumped to 10% in a recent outbreak in South Africa, where many of the newly infected people are also living with HIV..

just in-case you will be going on a hunting trip let it just be a hunting trip.

The DRC has had more than 14,000 of the 15,132 mpox cases in Africa since the beginning of the year, according to Africa CDC. The case fatality rate has been about 3%, but Kaseya emphasized that rate jumped to 10% in a recent outbreak in South Africa, where many of the newly infected people are also living with HIV..

just in-case you will be going on a hunting trip let it just be a hunting trip.

Apologies @speedfire for going rogue on your well intended warning. Nothing personal and I mean no malice intent toward you or your thread.

Reference to RSA numbers

Wholly Sh*t Batman.
RSA + mpox= WTF?
Where are the "Hot Zones"?

I need advice from Dr. Fauci on the mandatory vaccines to prevent dying in this pandemic.

I have a better chance of dying from food poisoning, dehydration in July (in RSA).

I guess if I had used proper hygiene and common sense the chance of contracting mpox is 1 in 1,000,000, maybe 100,000?

I make light of mpox, and I really shouldn't. I apologize.

Seriously, Being Smart! By just using common sense: maintain daily and throughout the day personal hygiene, making sure all foods are cooked to proper 165 -170 internal temps, drinking bottled water, etc.! Using quality insect repellents.

Staying healthy at home and abroad is so simple that to me it's mind bogling why people are so stupid not to follow the simplest precautions.

Yes, people can do a lot to avoid getting sick and still end up in a hospital. But taking the simplest precautions can make the difference if or when they end up in the hospital. The difference is in the severity in contracting the disease and having to be treated for it.

Dress warm, avoid staying outside in sub zero weather for long periods of time, and still catch the common cold.

Or

Going outside for long periods of time in sub zero weather without a shirt, in short and barefooted and wonder why ending up in the hospital in CCU with severe pneumonia, severe hyperthermia, and severe frostbite.

IMO when news media starts stating percentages from politicos without stating a base number the facts if any are being distorted.

Before becoming alarm or going into panic mode.

One has to ask one's self:

10% of how many people were infected and of that number infected were fatal?

Was 7+%, 8+%, 9+% rounded up to make better news headlines?

Was/Were the fatality/fatalities case(s) due to: lack of, delayed, improper, or beyond, treatment at an under equip, under staffed rural clinic or well equipped, well staffed major city medical care facility?

As you noted: South Africa, where many of the newly infected people are also living with HIV.

People with HIV also lack the potential to produce natural antibodies to assist in fighting off various diseases.

A) 10% of 10 infected = 1 fatality
B) 10% of a 100 infected = 10 fatalities
C) 10% of a 1000 infected = 100 fatalities
D) 10% 0f a 1,000,000 infected = 100,000 fatalities

A & B I would be more concerned with being infected by a mosquito carrying malaria.

C I would be a bit more concerned.

D Would have my fullest attention.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamiraIec1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED