Mozambique Niassa Reserve: What animals to consider if Buffalo is taken early?

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I decided to book a 10 day Buffalo hunt in Mozambique. I'm really looking forward to the hunt part of it and tracking/walking for days to find the right one and the right shot. But, if everything lines up to take a great one and still have days left in the hunt, what are some other animals I should be aware of that are more unique to the area? I just today read about the Niassa Wildebeest. I know that Waterbuck are in the area, but from reading I've done it seems they are more common and larger in other areas of Africa. I'm curious to hear about other animals which are more ideal to hunt (both for hunting experience and for mounting appearance) in the Niassa reserve area in Mozambique.

My current trophies include a Sable, Kudu, Bushbuck, Impala, Springbuck, Warthog, Nyala, Blue Duiker, Common Duiker, and caracal.

A Livingston eland would be my top animal from Niassa. The trophies are impressive and would be a good tracking hunt. Niassa Wildebeest and Bushbuck would really appeal to me as well. A daylight bush pig is something you don’t find everywhere either. Take all you can. It will be a very different experience from ranch hunting.

Bhoems Zebra is also endemic to the general area.

Rooselvelt Sable
Livingstone Eland
Bushpig in daylight
Suni
Red Duiker
Johnstoin's Impala
Bhoems zebra
Yellow Baboon
Niasa Wildebeest
Lichtenstein Hartebeest

Sable and Niassa WB

I had no intention of hunting for a Niassa wildebeest when I was there, but... then I got a good look at one. Impressive! I mentioned to my PH that I'd be interested in adding one to my list if we came across a really nice specimen. The trackers in the back of the truck with me got pretty animated just two days later and stopped the PH, who pointed out a great looking animal. I was very glad to get one! Same story with a Roosevelt sable. It's exciting to add subspecies that are only found in this one small area of the world.

Thanks for all suggestions. I have some reading up to do around all these options.

Niassa wildebeest. Later season it's crawling with Eland.

As I've read and looked around more, I'm thinking Niassa Wildebeest has to be on the list. I'll be there in June so won't see the late season Eland numbers. Will have to have it on my list as well though just in case of opportunity.

Who did you book with, or what block will you be hunting?

Distribution of species is not even across the Reserve.

I hunted there in 2013. Definitely hunt the Niassa wildebeest. Some areas also have suni, which are hard to find for the most part throughout Africa. I hunted in July and saw decent numbers of eland. While Roosevelt sable are usually smaller than their cousins in Zambia, they still make for a fine trophy. It’s always cheaper to hunt the native indigenous species on your first trip than to have to go back later.

Who did you book with, or what block will you be hunting?

Distribution of species is not even across the Reserve.
The base camp is on the Lugenda river and the hunting area is bordering L2 on their Southern side.

I booked with Leopard's Valley. I've hunted with them in South Africa and they have a partnership with an operation in Mozambique. I know the name of the partner but would want to check with Dave before I publicize it as I've noticed in their postings around the hunt offering they do not call it out. The Mozambique partner operation is a Boddington approved outfitter and the research I've done bears the mout as a solid operation. With 2 other other hunts with Leopard's Valley and spending a good bit of time with Dave, as well as hearing feedback on him from other operations, I'm very confident Dave & Nikki would only partner with a strong, reputable operation. Dave will be my PH as he is all setup to legally guide/PH in Mozambique.

Hunt will be in June and I'll be sure post a review shortly after I'm back.

June is going to be tough hunting! The grass will be green and tall; still a month or so out from the first burns.

That will make for challenging buffalo hunting, but your mindset will determine whether you find that fun or frustrating.

Plainsgame species won’t be as concentrated or as visible as later in the season. It’s highly unlikely you’ll see a Niassa wildebeest as they don’t typically range that far west. Waterbuck are likely common although mostly unimpressive in Niassa. Roosevelt sable should be fairly common and although typically smaller in horn from RSA ranch sable, are way cooler. Maybe there’s some hartebeest, eland, and zebra as well. I don’t believe suni or red duiker range that far west.

I hunted there in October of 2022 with Kambako Safaris. If you’re hunting with them PM me and I can tell you what I experienced. It was awesome!

June is going to be tough hunting! The grass will be green and tall; still a month or so out from the first burns.

That will make for challenging buffalo hunting, but your mindset will determine whether you find that fun or frustrating.

Plainsgame species won’t be as concentrated or as visible as later in the season. It’s highly unlikely you’ll see a Niassa wildebeest as they don’t typically range that far west. Waterbuck are likely common although mostly unimpressive in Niassa. Roosevelt sable should be fairly common and although typically smaller in horn from RSA ranch sable, are way cooler. Maybe there’s some hartebeest, eland, and zebra as well. I don’t believe suni or red duiker range that far west.
Thanks for the warning. On my first hunt there were two primary animals I had in mind - Sable and Kudu. The Sable was shot in the first two hours of my 3rd day of hunting, the first day we were really looking for a Sable. But the Kudu, that animal 'frustrated' me. It was over the course of a 4 days, the rest of my hunt, that I was looking for one. We saw one on day 4, but it was late in the day, about 250 yards across a deep valley, and with strong swirling winds. So I passed on that shot. I recall Dave joking that night about us passing on the shot - "I've heard this story too many times, I hope that works out for you but it's not the normal way this ends". We spent 3 more days just looking for Kudu and having no luck. On my last day of the hunt we were sitting at top of a valley and I admittedly was not very optimistic. We heard a branch break and then saw a lone Kudu walking in the valley below us. I had to be patient to wait for a good shot on it, also knowing it may turn and go a 'wrong way' and disappear in to brush. Once he was in a good clear area, I was able to keep down the 'buck fever' that started to come on and he was down with a single shot at about 280 yards, going less than 10 yards from where I shot him (bullet went through lung and heart). Of those two trophies, I remember that Kudu the most vividly and as the most rewarding. I can still recall both the lows and frustration as well as the elation when I got it. For Buffalo, I'm counting on it being more 'frustrating' just due to being free range hunting in Mozambique, but I also feel like it'll be more worth it to me.

Interestingly, you're the first one to call it 'tough hunting' in June. As I was researching who to go with, none of the outfitters I communicated with had done anything to steer me away from that time of year. The impression they had given was that different months all had some sort of challenge and mostly equaled out, so I just planned based on when I had best airfare options and when it was least disruptive to be out from my work for ~2 1/2 weeks (10 days hunting, 2 travel days to/from Moz, 4 travel days to/from US + recovery days in JNB) :)

Thanks for the warning. On my first hunt there were two primary animals I had in mind - Sable and Kudu. The Sable was shot in the first two hours of my 3rd day of hunting, the first day we were really looking for a Sable. But the Kudu, that animal 'frustrated' me. It was over the course of a 4 days, the rest of my hunt, that I was looking for one. We saw one on day 4, but it was late in the day, about 250 yards across a deep valley, and with strong swirling winds. So I passed on that shot. I recall Dave joking that night about us passing on the shot - "I've heard this story too many times, I hope that works out for you but it's not the normal way this ends". We spent 3 more days just looking for Kudu and having no luck. On my last day of the hunt we were sitting at top of a valley and I admittedly was not very optimistic. We heard a branch break and then saw a lone Kudu walking in the valley below us. I had to be patient to wait for a good shot on it, also knowing it may turn and go a 'wrong way' and disappear in to brush. Once he was in a good clear area, I was able to keep down the 'buck fever' that started to come on and he was down with a single shot at about 280 yards, going less than 10 yards from where I shot him (bullet went through lung and heart). Of those two trophies, I remember that Kudu the most vividly and as the most rewarding. I can still recall both the lows and frustration as well as the elation when I got it. For Buffalo, I'm counting on it being more 'frustrating' just due to being free range hunting in Mozambique, but I also feel like it'll be more worth it to me.

Interestingly, you're the first one to call it 'tough hunting' in June. As I was researching who to go with, none of the outfitters I communicated with had done anything to steer me away from that time of year. The impression they had given was that different months all had some sort of challenge and mostly equaled out, so I just planned based on when I had best airfare options and when it was least disruptive to be out from my work for ~2 1/2 weeks (10 days hunting, 2 travel days to/from Moz, 4 travel days to/from US + recovery days in JNB) :)
I hunted July and some grass had been burnt. I wouldn’t go any earlier. The outfitters like to book people in June because it’s hard to sell.

I went with Kambako in SEP, so I suspect you will have a little different scenery. I myself love the thick brush and think you’re still in for a fantastic hunt. Seemed, like everyone in my camp had slightly different priorities, but all found something they were interested in pursuing each day. I don’t regret chasing the little ones (Common, Red duiker, Sharpes Grysbok, Suni) especially my 3 days in the Jesse hunting Suni, but I really wish I had a few more days to chase those Livingston Eland and Niassa Wildebeest. If you are in to Sable, they also have those Roosevelt Sable and those Bohms Zebra are among the prettiest, in my mind. Not really sure about the extent/ difference in the Johnston’s Impala but plenty of them around. Lichtenstien Hartebeest is also in the area. I also took an old bushpig in the day, which I understand is somewhat unusual in other areas…

There was massive flooding in Niassa last year, and rivers were still flowing in early September that should have been well dried up by then. Expect wet, lush conditions in June. Under those circumstances, animals can disperse more comfortably because water is widely available, and spotting game in thick vegetation could be challenging. I apologize for sounding discouraging, but those are the cons of hunting at that time and place. Late season has its own problems, of course, and each has its pro column as well. It sounds like you'll be in good hands, though, and can exploit the advantages you find. Good hunting!

I'm shocked that any outfitter would recommend June in Niassa--aside from perhaps leopard or lion hunting. I guess I'm unaware of the challenges the prime hunting months of Sept-Nov. present...maybe they were referring to heat? I'd recommend shifting the dates to later in the year if at all possible.

It's also important to note that the Niassa Special Reserve is within the Niassa Province. This particular block is outside of the Reserve proper in an area commonly referred to as the 'buffer zone.' I wouldn't be scared away by that; I've hunted within the Reserve and outside in the buffer zone (different block) and both offered good, BUT different opportunities.

As I mentioned, species distribution is variable across the Reserve and buffer zones. Those mentioning hunting with Kambako, reference hunting to the far east. Many of the species present there aren't present where you'll be hunting (i.e. suni, red duiker, Johnston's impala).

Travel to Mozambique is annoying. It's not difficult; just long due to how flights align. Are you going to Pemba or Lichinga? Pemba is a nice resting spot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdbull

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]