Mountain Lion Hunt

btheis13

AH veteran
Reaction score
With my dream of an African safari and Kudu hunt being fulfilled next Spring it's time for me to start thinking about my next dream hunt. I've always wanted to kill a large mountain lion with my bow. I'm looking for recommendations for outfitters and guides in the U.S. and Canada.

Have you tried saying "here kitty-kitty?" Okay, bad joke.

Based on a couple hunt reports I've seen on AH, I am going early next year to Arizona and hunt with Logan Anderson with Seven Anchor Outfitters. I'm doing a rifle hunt, using a trusty old 30-30.

Look at the search function results for "mountain lion" in the title.

I hunted mountain lion with Josh Horox, Vernal, Utah in 2018 and had a great hunt. Early season, September dry land hunt. He had twelve hounds we followed for a few days before treeing a killing lion on Green River in an old cottonwood tree. One of the most physical hunts I’ve experienced. And the most memorable. Lots of muster, pain and suffering involved. For us and the hounds.

Thanks guys. I have vision of fresh snow on the ground and hearing the dogs work. I've searched and seen the photos, but didn't have much luck finding info.

A few outfitters have a "will call" list of hunters wanting to go, then call when they have enough snow to track. You have to be available on one or two days notice but it's a lot more successful. A few outfitters hunt dry land but you will spend long days up and down the mountains. Good luck!

With my dream of an African safari and Kudu hunt being fulfilled next Spring it's time for me to start thinking about my next dream hunt. I've always wanted to kill a large mountain lion with my bow. I'm looking for recommendations for outfitters and guides in the U.S. and Canada.

Here’s a recommendation, I had a great experience and hunt with Anthony Neidlinger at Whiskey Mountain outfitters in Idaho. They offer on call hunts which I would recommend if your schedule allows. I experienced and saw more cats in Idaho than I’ve seen anywhere. They have exclusive rights to hundreds of thousands of private acres and are the only outfitter hunting cats in those areas. I highly recommend you call and speak with Anthony. I’ll send you a PM as well with Anthony’s contact info.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

I hunted with Bullcreek outfitters in Nevada in 2018. Killed my tom on the first day. I hunted between Christmas and New Year's. This time of year normally has snow on the ground. Interesting fact. Nevada is the only state you can run lion dogs 24/7. They have Facebook and keep it updated during season. A husband and wife team Cleve and Becky do a wonderful job.
FB_IMG_1726625662964.jpg

Lion hunts have something in common with leopard hunts...some had it easy and took a cat quickly and many have stories of suffering and effort and no cat (or a very hard earned cat). My very first guided hunt ever was a mountain lion hunt in Utah 25 years ago. We busted our butts in a blizzard and never let the dogs out of the truck. A couple of years ago, I hunted in western CO and took a cat midway through the hunt. It was easily the hardest hunt I've ever done in my life. The guide and I both threw up climbing out of the canyon with the cat. I posted my hunt report here after taking it with a revolver out of the top of a 100+ foot tree. Super challenging hunt.

IMG_1269.jpeg

Miles High Outfitters, Grangeville ID.
Ended up treeing three. First day treed was a female and I was told not to shoot. I shot my big tom (9 feet - tip of nose to tip of tail) on the second day. Last tom, (day 4) I went along while 3 houndsmen were training dogs. They released their dogs, it treed once about 2 hours in and jumped down before we could catch up. When it finally treed again and we caught up it was 6 hours after letting the dogs loose! One of my favorite hunts!

1726664556493.png

Last edited:
Logan Anderson - Seven Anchor outfitters in Arizona

Dry ground hunting, and some big cats are around

DSC00439.JPG

Logan Anderson - Seven Anchor outfitters in Arizona

Dry ground hunting, and some big cats are around

View attachment 634959
@cpr0312 that looks like a nice sized cat, was it a Tom? I can’t tell by the head but body looks large. I’ve done 3 Cougar hunts (2/Idaho & 1 BC). We only treed one cat - Idaho 2nd hunt and my friend shot it—-Big Tom and a real trophy. To summarize - I’ve Cougar hunted a total of 21 days and only treed one cat and All were in good snow conditions where we could judge the track before turning dogs loose, I did turn down two cats based on track size and guide estimating the cat would be in the 120-130lb range…which is a decent 3 yr old cat but Not a trophy for me. Guide was happy to run the dogs on that cat but I didn’t want to waste a 1/2 day (or more) just to see a cat in a tree, preferred to keep looking for a better track - just never found one.
Question: when running a cat on dry ground, I’m told the size of the cat is more “luck” as it can be difficult to get a clean track to judge the size before turning dogs loose (unless you get lucky and see a nice track in sand or dry creek bed etc..). How did you decide to run your cat? You got a good one - congratulations!

Appreciate you all taking the time to post. I've got alot of info to dig through here. I know it's hunting and nothing is guaranteed, it's about the experience. Just don't want a poor outfitter like I've had on other (elk) hunts in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveT

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well