Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Free Range Mouflon hunt
Gun: borrowed M18 in 30-06
IMG_6423.jpeg

Returning from a 10 day duel purpose vacation in Croatia I decided to give myself a few days to rest before posting my hunt report. Somehow the time change got to me more returning to the states to go back to work than arriving in a foreign country for vacation, shocker.

My fiancés friend from college got married in the old fort in Dubrovnik Croatia, that was a really cool experience they rented the whole place for the night and it was a spectacular wedding with million dollar views. We spend a few days exploring old town and going to some islands worth visiting for sure at least once. If you’re needing to get some cardio in that’s the place to go it’s stairs up and down everywhere you go.

This being a hunting report and not a vacation report I’ll get to the good part, I found my Outfiter on Bookyourhunts.com after talking to a few different ones I picked the one that I felt like I would get the best bang for the buck experience with, we flew into split airport and rented a car and drove north a few hours to where we originally were going to be hunting in the town of Jablanac. It was a really cool little town a tiny fishing village with a nice hotel on the coast.

My only negative of the outfitter was the miss communication of where we would be hunting because he had lost his hunting area near that town and we ended up having to hunt 1.5 hours south on the coast, I could have gotten a different hotel last minute but had already paid for the room and it was a really cool town so we decided to just drive for the hunting.

We basically had three guides working with us for the duration of the hunt. One spoke really good English and really enjoyable to hold a conservation with the other two guides couldn’t speak English very well but were some of the best hunters I have every been around, true masters of there trade and made every effort to be as hospitable as possible. I was originally a little worried that it was going to be a really easy hunt and not get the thrill of the hunt and would just be a shooting event, boy I was wrong

The first morning of the hunt we started around 9am by glassing the mountain ranges. Right out the gate I spotted a wild boar a few hundred yards down the mountain under a tree. Moving spots we climbed over sharp boulders getting to a good spot to stop from where we could see multiple valleys. Using a thermal spotted a few sheep and watched them walked out within shooting distance but none of the rams were big enough to target.

Around 500 yards away we spotted 6 ewes and a big ram. The ram only showed himself for a brief moment before dropping to the other side of the hill, we quickly and quietly as possible climbed down the mountain and walked a mile or so around to get a better shot chance. After getting to the ridge where we were hoping to get a shot chance, the sheep never left the thick cover in the heat of the day so we decided to go go to town eat some food and reset.

Late that afternoon we returned to the mountain and continued hunting, we spotted a few ewes and finally a good shooter stepped out he was close to 450 yards away, watching him through the scope I was a little nervous to make the shot being a borrowed rifle and not sure of it. He was also watching me back the entire time. While waiting for him to turn broadside our 3rd guide who had been out scouting for us called and said there was 20 sheep with a really good shooter on the other side of the mountain. We climbed back down this mountain got to the truck and moved spots. There was around 20 sheep and a really good ram. While trying to get into position to make a stalk the sheep moved into the thick brush. I went with the two guides that didn’t really speak English and they motioned for me to get into position. They kept trying to tell me something as they were adjusting the scope. Hindsight they were saying that the sheep were about to walk out into a opening 300 yards out, well by the time they stepped out between the excitement and shooting 200 feet up the mountain in prone position, not used to shooting like that,well I missed and the days hunt was over.

The next morning it was cold and crazy windy, we went to hunt a different area. We hiked up and down the mountain for 2.5 miles glassing. One of the guides spotted some sheep one the next mountain over. We quickly and as quietly as possible climbed down that mountain and used the valley and thick growth to move into a better position. Jumped a roe deer pretty cool to see one in the wild. Climbed to the top of a ridge hoping the sheep didn’t crest the mountain and go to the other side, while I was still trying to catch my breath one guide said that the sheep were bedded down still around 180 yards away. As I was slowly trying to crawl to that guide our other guide fell in the loose rocks/ boulders and broke his thumb. Recovering from that I moved into position to take the shot.

Between the excitement of the hunt and the climb up my heart rate was jacked, I slowed myself down and slowly squeezed the trigger the sheep never stood up.

Now the hard part walked around the crest of the mountain to where the sheep was and wow it’s incredible how large the head compared to the body size.

Our guide field dressed the sheep and carried it the 2 miles back to the nearest road. When we got back to the road I helped skin the sheep for taxidermy and quarrying it for the meat. For only a two day hunt it was a memory that I will always remember and highly recommend to anyone who wants to try it.

If anyone wants my outfitters information send me a message and I’ll give you his contact information.
IMG_6411.jpeg
IMG_6407.jpeg
IMG_6403.jpeg
IMG_5272.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas1836

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?