Monolithic Solids

1peggy

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
147
Reaction score
211
Location
Wytheville, VA
Media
5
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
NSSA, NRA Life I
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
When reloading solid copper or brass bullets, ie: CEB solids, Woodleigh hydros, or others, where do you start vs soft nose loads in the same caliber. I am using 88 grains of Reloder 15 behind Woodleigh 500 grain soft nose bullets in a 470. Help please.
 
Email Geoff at Woodleigh for info on Hydros. On the 416 he recommended basically the same load as the soft point, but I still backed off a few and worked up.

Shooting Barnes solids, 87gr RL15 started showing pressure in my rifle.

Have no experience with CEB in the 470, but found great accuracy/speed with Noslers using other powders.

Good luck!
 
It depends on every bullet manufacturer if I take Impala bullets which are solid brass he makes the bullet diameter slightly smaller and has driving bands less pressure.

Monolithics is longer than normal premium leadcore bullets so it will have more pressure if you load the cartridge to the same lenght with the same load. So normally I back up with a grain or two measure the speed and get the bullets to hit same Point of aim at the hunting distance I will be doing hunting.
Driving band monos has helped a bunch in the pressure deparment while there are still monos out there without any.
 
Try 112 grains of H1000 for the 500Gr .470 caliber Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids.
 
With my 470 this past week 84 grains of RL 15.5 gave me regulation of .8 of an inch for 4 shots at 50 yards using CEBs. I will next use the same 84 grains and go up to 88 grains so 4 shots at 84 grains, then 4 shots at 85 grains, etc. until my regulation and POI are with my CEB
 
With Hydros I use the same load as for the same weight soft nose. Word of warning: Hydros are bore riders, that is the bullet shank is the same diameter as the lands, in effect has driving band. So if the Monolith bullet has driving bands you should be OK with SN data.

If the Monolith solid you are using is say like Barnes start low and work up.
 
For our bullet. If you make a load with SS and then want to use a CPS start 1,5 grain under for the CPS and you will be really close to have same point of impact.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,237
Members
169,981
Latest member
FabianPoun
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top