Model 70 Safari Express - Safety Issues?

DDE222

AH member
Joined
Oct 2, 2022
Messages
46
Reaction score
73
Location
South Africa
Deals & offers
1
Media
15
Articles
1
hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

here is the glitch. my gun guy said: dont do it!

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

thank you very much in advance!
 
I purchased brand new, Portuguese made 416Rem few years ago. So far no issues with it. What sort of issues with the safety does he mean?
 
I have a 375HH that’s around 3yrs old now. Purchased new… So far have not had any issues with the safety at all.
 
Your gun guy needs replacing. I've owned a .416 Rem, two .375's and a .243 Coyote Light. Circumstances (such as moving country) made me sell. They were and are all fine, fine rifles. There's also not much that can go wrong with a Model 70 safety catch, by the way.
 
Lol your “gun guy” doesn’t know the difference between a Model 70 and a Remington 700.
 
I actually purchased a brand new M70 Safari express a few years ago and had the the safety lever break. I do not know if this is what your friend is referring to or not. There is a thread on here about it.
 
hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

here is the glitch. my gun guy said: dont do it!

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

thank you very much in advance!
I've mine in 458 since the late's 90 , I'm hunting in gabonese forest since, no problem at all with it.
 
Yep, what others have said- you need a new gun guy. The Win 70 safety design is what most all consider the best ever designed! It is the safety design that many have their bolt rifles converted to. Your gun guy, may also have heard you wrong or does not listen for comprehension? Also a reason for a new gun guy. There is a big difference between the sound of "Remington Model 700" and "Winchester Model 70".
 
Have had 5 model 70s over the last 50 years. No issues at all. My favorite safety.
 
hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

here is the glitch. my gun guy said: dont do it!

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

thank you very much in advance!
In your avatar, what suppressor are you using?
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.33 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.33 PM Large.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.34 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.34 PM Large.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 188
Simple: ask your gun guy what the issues are. If he started a response with “I’ve been told…”. Get a new gunsmith.

ive never heard of Model 70 safety issues. I’ve had half a dozen myself. No worries.
 
All things can break... I suppose its possible your gun guy has seen or heard of someone that had a bad experience with a Win 70 safety.. but... I think you have to look at the totality of the facts...

There is a reason LOTs of other manufacturers (big and small) have copied the WIN 70 safety and have started putting something similar on their rifles..

They work.. and work well... and have a global reputation for not just their function but also their ergodynamics (very easy to use, access, etc)..

Ask 10 "gun guys" a question about firearms and you'll likely get 10 different responses.. so much in the way of firearms is incredibly subjective..

An exception to this however would be the Win 70 safety... I think you'll find 9.9 gun guys out of 10 will say its an excellent design and extremely "safe" as well..
 
There's a reason the Model 70 is called "The Rifleman's Rifle." Agree with all the comments supporting the Model 70. I have 4 of them, 270 Win, 30-06, 300 winmag and 375 H&H. No issues at all.
Even Rigby adopted the Model 70 style safety for the double square bridge model of the Big Game as well as the Highland Stalker.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,392
Messages
1,574,862
Members
170,185
Latest member
DixieBlodg
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top