Military Duffel Bags

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Anyone see any kind of issues with using an old military duffel bag for checked luggage like this for flying to South Africa:

duffel.jpg

Just wondering about two things. First will it attack undue attention since it was once US military issue. Second, and my main concern is it could be a pain to unpack and pack during customs if an inspection would be required.

I figured I wouldn't be the first to use one of these so just wondering if it worked out OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see why you couldn't use. Just black out the military unit and rank parts. That a lot if packing area. How long you going fir. Remember they will do laundry every day for you!

I spent 29 years in the Army and they are a pain to unpack period. Whatever you need is guaranteed to be at the bottom of the damned thing and a wrinkled tangled mess should you be so fortunate to find it. I absolutely loathe them. There are some great duffels out there - many of which are on wheels.

With regard to attention, you may have a point - I do doubt if you could pay someone to steal it.

That a lot if packing area. How long you going fir. Remember they will do laundry every day for you!

I am taking some things for a local school so I'll be able to make use of the space.

I spent 29 years in the Army and they are a pain to unpack period. Whatever you need is guaranteed to be at the bottom of the damned thing and a wrinkled tangled mess should you be so fortunate to find it.

Yes, I know that very well from my time in the Navy. I agree they can be a pain.

yes the are a pain. with that being said I have traveled all over the U.S. and to S.A. 2 times with mine. at the present time I plan to use it again in June for the trip to S.A. and on to Namibia. Forrest

When I was traveling for work in bush Alaska I always carried my Arctic Cold weather gear in one of those bags. It was defiantly durable, but a pain to pack and unpack. When I needed the gear it was mostly just got dumped out on the floor and then packed agin when I was ready to leave. Trying to use it like a daily suitcase would be a unfun.

That's exactly what I plan to use in July to SA. I Can put an arrow tube right down the middle of it and no zippers to get into. Plus I'm gonna throw a lock through the top hasp. Wrinkly clothes? The animals I'm hunting hopefully won't ever see them.

I just sem
I am taking some things for a local school so I'll be able to make use of the space.

I was gonna ask why you wanted to use the duffel, especially knowing you'd be able to take four bags since your daughter is going, but forgot about the clothes for the school.

Stuff that duffel full! It will be perfect for your purpose.

Funny this came up today as Loodt, uhm, well, had a a friend from home order some stuff.... and, I had to give him a duffel as his bags weren't big enough for the trip home!!!:A Childish::A Give Us A Hug::A Haha:

I have travelled over to RSA a couple of times and always used a duffel in conjunction with a suitcase. Pack the boots, bulky items etc in the duffel and it frees up space in the suitcase. As for unwanted attention ... i am sure they are very common based on my travels of trying to pick mine out amongst others on the conveyor belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lula005117

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well