Military Arms?

Daniel Cary

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Those that served & still do are a breed apart. Thank you, foremost.

Familiar with the M-16 & a bit of hx behind it. What was the larger machine gun (depicted in Vietnam) that the soldier usually Bear'd what look like 30-06 ammo around the chest?

And today, any insight to what is used in warfare I'd love to know.
Many thanks.

I think CZ is right. M-60 and Ma Duece only two I ever saw, but I did have one occasion to use a BAR and it fired 30-06. IMO a .338 medium machine gun is long over due........FWB

Yep, the old M60 7.62. Hated those things like nothing else. They either worked, or they didn't. The FN built MAG58 (also called M240B) was a much better machine gun. I had both as well as the 5.56mm SAW.

With the M240, I was the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

M60 was based off the FG42 which is an automatic rifle design rather than a traditional LMG. The americans in 1944 made a belt fed FG42. Essentially went from there with the M60. Incorporating many features from various weapons after seeing how successful the bren gun was as a walking LMG. The M60 became a very mobile and multi purpose Light machine gun.

You are referring to the M-60, which unfortunately copied only a few of the better characteristics of the MG-42 (Wehrmacht). It was awesome when it functioned. That functioning was based upon a well-trained gunner and no more than a reasonable amount of mud or dust. The M-240 does the same thing far more reliably.

Getting a M2 .50 cal into a firefight is like introducing a tactical nuclear weapon.

Former MOS: 0331. Machine Gunner. As stated, in VN it was the M60. 7.62mm, air cooled, belt fed, open bolt, medium machine gun. Replaced in the mid-80s with the M60E3, and in the early 90s to mid 90s by the M240G. I had the MOS from '86 to '91, so I trained on both. In 2000 I went to school to become an 0303 (Light Armored Vehicle Officer), and both the pintle mount and the coax were M240s.

Biggest difference between the VN era M60 and the M60E3 was the older version of the weapon had the bipod legs attached to the barrel. The M60E3 moved the legs to the receiver, making it much easier to change the barrel, especially on a hot gun.

All of the above comments on the M60 are true. As I have explained it on more than one occasion, my M60 was a lot like my ex-girlfriend. I loved it to death, but it always was letting me down, especially when it was really important.

Former MOS: 0331. Machine Gunner. As stated, in VN it was the M60. 7.62mm, air cooled, belt fed, open bolt, medium machine gun. Replaced in the mid-80s with the M60E3, and in the early 90s to mid 90s by the M240G. I had the MOS from '86 to '91, so I trained on both. In 2000 I went to school to become an 0303 (Light Armored Vehicle Officer), and both the pintle mount and the coax were M240s.

Biggest difference between the VN era M60 and the M60E3 was the older version of the weapon had the bipod legs attached to the barrel. The M60E3 moved the legs to the receiver, making it much easier to change the barrel, especially on a hot gun.

All of the above comments on the M60 are true. As I have explained it on more than one occasion, my M60 was a lot like my ex-girlfriend. I loved it to death, but it always was letting me down, especially when it was really important.
...and that dang asbestos glove was never where you needed it to be when it was time to change barrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholBald

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available