Midland gun company

Hi, I know this post is old but I have a question or two regarding the Midland Shotguns.
Midland Sidelock-Ejector SxS Shotgun 20 GA
Serial# 92770, is there a way I can find out the history or date of it?

Thank you, and cheers to you guys from the USA.


Unfortunately, the ledgers had no rhyme or reason at Midland. Nigel Brown's 3rd volume says "1925-1954" for the age range of your serial number.

I believe if I had close up photos of the crossed halberd proof marks, I could decipher the exact year it went through the proof house. To get a clear photo, you might need to rub some white chalk on the crossed halberds. I needs to know the letters or numbers in the West, South, and East positions of the Halberds found on the water table or barrel flats.
 
The secret decoder ring for date of manufacture (or at least the date it went to proof) for Birmingham guns. Sadly, London didn't adopt the same precision until much more recently, but you're in luck with a Birmingham gun.

Screenshot 2025-12-02 at 8.12.49 PM.png
 
Hi, I have the Midland in my possession: I see BV, BP, and NP on the barrel. Please let me know if this means anything. And can you tell the chokes... Thank you!!

1765585215993.png
 

Attachments

  • 20251212_153220.jpg
    20251212_153220.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 20251212_153326.jpg
    20251212_153326.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 20251212_161322.jpg
    20251212_161322.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 97
  • 20251212_161436.jpg
    20251212_161436.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 20251212_161614.jpg
    20251212_161614.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 91
Wow, ok, that's why all the stamps? Thanks @rookhawk

Yes. Double the stamps, the original ones and the replacement ones.

BV - Birmingham Viewed (by proof officer)
BP - Birmingham Proved
7/8 - Max load 7/8 ounce
20C - 20 bore chambers, Choked
21 - 21 bore barrels (slightly tighter than the standard measure of 20 bore
T1C with crossed halberds = The year 1992
Sleeved - The barrels were cut from the action and new barrel tubes were braised onto the original lump of the action.
15.9 - Choke in metric
20-65 - 20 gauge shells, 65mm long (2.5” shells only)
NP - Nitro Proofed
BNP - Birmingham Nitro Proofed
950 Bar - Max pressure tested
 
405 Winchester
 

Attachments

  • 17669457488408430805839270179265.jpg
    17669457488408430805839270179265.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 17669458278175394006610540259848.jpg
    17669458278175394006610540259848.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
  • 17669458783424918407089578099055.jpg
    17669458783424918407089578099055.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Yes. Double the stamps, the original ones and the replacement ones.

BV - Birmingham Viewed (by proof officer)
BP - Birmingham Proved
7/8 - Max load 7/8 ounce
20C - 20 bore chambers, Choked
21 - 21 bore barrels (slightly tighter than the standard measure of 20 bore
T1C with crossed halberds = The year 1992
Sleeved - The barrels were cut from the action and new barrel tubes were braised onto the original lump of the action.
15.9 - Choke in metric
20-65 - 20 gauge shells, 65mm long (2.5” shells only)
NP - Nitro Proofed
BNP - Birmingham Nitro Proofed
950 Bar - Max pressure tested
Happy New Year! Thank you for all that information, so was it redone in 92, or is that the original date, 1992? And to confirm, I should not put anything more than 20-gauge 7/8ths in this gun? I fired two shots on a pattern board, and they were on target 50/50.
 
Happy New Year! Thank you for all that information, so was it redone in 92, or is that the original date, 1992? And to confirm, I should not put anything more than 20-gauge 7/8ths in this gun? I fired two shots on a pattern board, and they were on target 50/50.

Reworked in 92.

You should aim to shoot LESS than 7/8 ounce loads 3/4 or 13/16 oz. Always 2.5”, never 3”.
 
Reworked in 92.

You should aim to shoot LESS than 7/8 ounce loads 3/4 or 13/16 oz. Always 2.5”, never 3”.
OK, that's tough, I do not load my own ammo. I assume I run the risk of safety on this with 7/8 or higher? Was planning on using for some fun skeet. I picked it up at an auction for $800 US... That's the risk of an auction site unseen...
 
OK, that's tough, I do not load my own ammo. I assume I run the risk of safety on this with 7/8 or higher? Was planning on using for some fun skeet. I picked it up at an auction for $800 US... That's the risk of an auction site unseen...

You’ll probably blow your hand off shooing a modern shell in a short chambered, sleeved gun. Don’t do it.

Get rid of the gun if you can’t get 2.5” light loads.
 
You’ll probably blow your hand off shooing a modern shell in a short chambered, sleeved gun. Don’t do it.

Get rid of the gun if you can’t get 2.5” light loads.
Do you think if I get this ammo, it will be ok, or is there still a fair amount of risk? Thanks

20 Ga. • 2 1/2" • Falcon• Vel. 1125 • 7/8 oz. Load - Case​

 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,284
Messages
1,570,579
Members
168,906
Latest member
RYJIsidra2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top