AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA and RSA
I’m sitting here this morning waiting for the kids to wake up so I can cook breakfast and they can open presents. They are getting rock climbing gear mostly this year.

Anyway the wife and I have been joking a lot about having our mid life crisis lately. We aren’t there yet being only in our mid thirties and we aren’t the kind of people to have some sort of breakdown and go buy a sports car or something anyway. But still it’s kinda got me thinking that hey maybe it’s a good excuse to do something fun in a few years when I turn 40. So after contemplating for a bit I realize ever since I was a little kid I’ve had images of chasing buffalo with a double rifle. Now I haven’t been to Africa yet (counting down the months to our first trip in June of ‘24) but I think it’s time to plan for that mid life crisis.

Now the question becomes what rifle to buy in the next few years? I’m not very familiar with double rifles or the cartridges used in them. I am very familiar rifles in the sense that I own many bolt guns and various other firearms and do a lot of handloading. I’m not rich! I do ok and can save up money for a purchase without much problem but something from the high end London gun makers is probably not gonna happen. I realistically think my rifle budget would be max $10,000 though less would be better. Can I get into a reliable, clean double rifle for that budget? And if so what makers and cartridges should I be looking at?

And if that’s not realistic that’s ok and I’ll probably still go buffalo hunting but I’ll find a bolt gun instead.

Thanks all

I’m sure there will be many others chiming in soon. This topic has been discussed often on AH.

I would first suggest to only look at used double rifles. New, you are unlikely to find much below 10k$

If I understand you, you do not have much practice yet with bigger bores. So I would suggest a double rifle in 375h&h from a reputable (German) maker, or something a bit bigger, with rims, where also other makers should be able to make something decent.

450/400 would be an ideal choice, but likely will come at a bit of a premium for now.

470NE you’ll find most big bore double rifles in, but you’ll need to make sure that you can handle the caliber. Try to find someone who has one so you can try.

And read up a lot on AH, there is a world of info here.

If you are like most of us, you won’t do just one buffalo hunt. I would suggest you get a scoped .375 H&H for your first buffalo hunt. It will open up more shot opportunities, and it is a weapon you will be much more familiar with. However, if the dream is a double rifle and you are willing to live with its limitations, go for it.

Also, don’t succumb to the ‘do a plains game safari first’ advice. If you want to hunt buffalo, go hunt buffalo. My first four safari’s were buffalo hunts. I wouldn’t have done it any differently.

If you are like most of us, you won’t do just one buffalo hunt. I would suggest you get a scoped .375 H&H for your first buffalo hunt. It will open up more shot opportunities, and it is a weapon you will be much more familiar with. However, if the dream is a double rifle and you are willing to live with its limitations, go for it.

Also, don’t succumb to the ‘do a plains game safari first’ advice. If you want to hunt buffalo, go hunt buffalo. My first four safari’s were buffalo hunts. I wouldn’t have done it any differently.

I should add that I have only flown to Africa once when DG was not on the menu. That trip was a tracking hunt for eland in the Kalahari, followed by a camping trip across Botswana.

I’d agree with you on the plains game thing. We are headed over for a plains game hunt for our first trip this coming June. We were invited along and hadn’t really planned for it so a relatively affordable South Africa PG hunt worked for us. Buffalo or any other DG I want more time to plan and figure out who and where really fits what I’m looking for.

If you go the used double route purchase through a trustworthy dealer. For every great used rifle, there is one with hidden problems - I speak as the product of a very expensive education.

Do you have much experience with open sights? Most of your generation has virtually none. You likely will book a seven to ten-day hunt for a buffalo. Particularly in a non-constructed environment (a wilderness area), you may only get one chance at that bull. He is standing at the end of a narrow shot window 70 yards away in deep shade with two of his pals. With a scope it is an easy shot to resolve - with open sights you can't tell where one bull ends and the other begins. Do you have the will and resources to walk away and try again next year or do you scope your double to begin with? If the latter, why not put that scope on an accurate .375.

By the way, the double that I have actually used on buffalo is scoped.

Last edited:
If you go the used double route purchase through a trustworthy dealer. For every great used rifle, there is one with hidden problems - I speak as the product of a very expensive education.

Do you have much experience with open sights? Most of your generation has virtually none. You likely will book a seven to ten-day hunt for a buffalo. Particularly in a non-constructed environment (a wilderness area), you may only get one chance at that bull. He is standing at the end of a narrow shot window 70 yards away in deep shade with two of his pals. With a scope it is an easy shot to resolve - with open sights you can't tell where one bull ends and the other begins. Do you have the will and resources to walk away and try again next year or do you scope your double to begin with. If the latter, why not put that scope on an accurate .375.

By the way, the double that I have actually used on buffalo is scoped.
I do actually have open sight experience. Especially with the muzzleloader. When I lived in CO muzzleloader deer tags were easy to get but our regs prohibited the use of scopes. And growing up there were many squirrels that fell to an open sighted .22. That being said I do use scopes on all my centerfire rifles. I’m still thinking about all this. I haven’t ruled out buying a higher end bolt gun either.

I do actually have open sight experience. Especially with the muzzleloader. When I lived in CO muzzleloader deer tags were easy to get but our regs prohibited the use of scopes. And growing up there were many squirrels that fell to an open sighted .22. That being said I do use scopes on all my centerfire rifles. I’m still thinking about all this. I haven’t ruled out buying a higher end bolt gun either.
i recommend looking to Champlain in Enid OK. i would look at a used Chapuis in 450-400. George and JJ though no longer business partners still work well together. JJ is the worlds best in my opinion when it comes to DRs. if he has checked it out you are safe knowing the used gun is perfect. again my opinion if you don’t reload i recommend you start for DRs

See if you can find the following article: “The .450/.400 NE
- The first double you should buy, and the last double you should sell - Dr. Kevin Robertson”. It will answer your question regarding double rifle for cape buffalo.
Also, in his book “Africa’s most dangerous” his first recommendation for a first time buffalo hunter is a scoped bolt action rifle that it is reliable and shootable by the owner.
If you can afford it, a scoped shootable double rifle could have you covered nicely.
Same train of thought as @RedLeg suggestion above.

Trust me, it's not a midlife crisis, It's a dream that you must make true. I was in the same scenario but it was a lot later in life before the stars aligned. 375, 404, 416, 458, single shot, bolt, double? PG, DG, Whatever your heart desires. It's your hunt, your wish and soon your memories, prepare for more than one adventure.

Wow. Spending ten grand on a rifle ... before turning forty ... and a couple of kids still in the house. You must have a good job! Good for you. I actually had no ambitions to hunt Africa until I was well into the old age crisis years. Still, ingrained working man ethics won't let me spend that much on a gun ... though I can certainly afford it (e.g. since January I spent $16K US on vet bills for my two bird dogs).

Think about having a nice custom bolt rifle made up. That would have much more personal meaning as an heirloom for your kids than some factory rifle. And it would probably be a lot cheaper too. Double rifles have a huge cool factor but when you get right down to it, they're not that practical. Very expensive to buy and can be expensive to maintain. Not just any gunsmith can fix a double rifle.

I agree with the posts above about checking out the inventory on the champlinarms.com website. You should also check out William Larkin Moore in Phoenix. I purchased a second-hand Chapuis double in 375H&H from them five years ago and paid under $9000. I put a Trijicon RMR red dot sight on it and have used it in Africa on four safaris on everying from buffalo to warthog. Great shooting rifle and fun to use.

There’s an advantage to a scope I have not seen mentioned yet and that is target identification. Buffalo in thick dark cover are hard targets to sort out. By that I mean even at 50 yards it can be difficult to tell the angle or sometimes the direction they are facing. I had another tell me I was being presented the backside of the bull when I could plainly make out the shoulder through my scope on one.
I concur with the sentiment of if you want a Buffalo don’t wait. Life and situations beyond our control can change quickly.
Lastly, as far as guns go, get what you want that you can afford. I have some quite expensive guns but my safari rifle is a butter smooth Winchester model 70 that will hang with any “expensive” rifle out there and I have less than 2k in it and 2 Leupold scopes with detachable mounts. It’s 375 too. The main thing, more than gun, is being familiar with it and being able to shoot it well and part of that is knowing the gun and your limitations. Also practice reloading, many don’t.

Wow. Spending ten grand on a rifle ... before turning forty ... and a couple of kids still in the house. You must have a good job! Good for you. I actually had no ambitions to hunt Africa until I was well into the old age crisis years. Still, ingrained working man ethics won't let me spend that much on a gun ... though I can certainly afford it (e.g. since January I spent $16K US on vet bills for my two bird dogs).

Think about having a nice custom bolt rifle made up. That would have much more personal meaning as an heirloom for your kids than some factory rifle. And it would probably be a lot cheaper too. Double rifles have a huge cool factor but when you get right down to it, they're not that practical. Very expensive to buy and can be expensive to maintain. Not just any gunsmith can fix a double rifle.
I do have a decent job. A lot of it though is we are good with our finances. No debt other than a mortgage and we didn’t over spend on a house. It’s a nice house but not outside our means by any stretch. We don’t drive the newest trucks that cost $60k+, our vehicles are paid off, no student loans or anything, no credit card debt, no big expensive boats, or RVs. Don’t really eat out much, don’t have cable tv or a bunch of subscriptions like Netflix or anything. Basically we live well within our means. Which gives us some financial flexibility to buy some nice things once in awhile or afford to take a family of 4 to Africa for 10 days.

I understand the allure of the double rifle - had a few and sold them all. If you decide you absolutely have to have one enlist the help of an expert like George or JJ as mentioned above. The used double market can be a bit of a gamble - regulation issues, accuracy issues, scope mounts, mechanical issues - get help from an expert before dropping $10K+
At the end of the day I much prefer the bolt gun with a scope - but to each their own. If it’s your dream to hunt buff with a double, go for it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djshfsdf

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?