Mauser Type M

Mike53

AH member
Reaction score
I acquired this rifle, about which some of you may be able to provide further information. It appears to be a Mauser Type M Sporting Carbine. The left side of the receiver is marked “Mauserwerke Oberndorf.” The left side of the receiver ring is marked “7x57” and the serial number. The butt plate is blued steel marked “Mauser” with a trap. The barrel is approximately 20 inches long with a folding leaf rear sight and bead front. There is no provision for scope mounting. The rifle has a butter knife-style bolt handle and double set triggers. The hinged floor plate has a pivoting arm that locks it in place. My 1936 Stoeger’s Catalog carries an illustration appearing to identify it as a Type M, as does Olsen’s “Mauser Bolt Rifles.” I am not able to determine the exact year of manufacture. Any additional information would be appreciated.
D17CCBD8-D0A7-469F-A42B-DBB909B3D435.jpeg
24D8FF02-0D70-4177-BA3D-7BA39A1A3D9E.jpeg
69E59C23-BC2F-4952-A843-9EC228ED673B.jpeg

Those are one of my favorite rifles. When had to thin out the collection, my last Type M left.
Beautifully made rifles!

Last year I was helping an acquaintance clean up his guns, and he had an identical rifle, right down to the round. I fell in love. He would have happily sold it to me, but at the time I wouldn't have been able to offer him what I knew it was worth. He probably still has it......

Congratulations on a beautiful little stutzen. That's one I would consider giving my eye teeth for! ;)

Great rifle. If you carefully remove the barreled action from the stock using hollow ground screw drivers, there is likely a month and year stamping showing when it was proofed, which is essentially when it was manufactured, near the B-U-G proof marks. “3 25” would indicate March, 1925 for example. There should also be some stamps for the bore and bullet with which it was proofed.

I’m not an expert on these - others can likely share more.

The butter knife bolt handle, set triggers and mannlicher stock make it the epitome of German styling in IMO. It’s about as nice of wood as I’ve seen on one too - the German guns often have straighter and a little less fancy grain than some of the British guns.

Beautiful Type M! This rifle won’t have a proof date on it like a Suhl or Zella Mehlis gun. An Oberndorf will have a string of numbers, representing the bore gauge and rifle twist rate etc. You need the serial range to determine when it was made and it can be cross referenced against the known date ranges from Oberndorf. Being a solid wall action with DSB’s it is quite a desirable example, nicely done.

I acquired this rifle, about which some of you may be able to provide further information. It appears to be a Mauser Type M Sporting Carbine. The left side of the receiver is marked “Mauserwerke Oberndorf.” The left side of the receiver ring is marked “7x57” and the serial number. The butt plate is blued steel marked “Mauser” with a trap. The barrel is approximately 20 inches long with a folding leaf rear sight and bead front. There is no provision for scope mounting. The rifle has a butter knife-style bolt handle and double set triggers. The hinged floor plate has a pivoting arm that locks it in place. My 1936 Stoeger’s Catalog carries an illustration appearing to identify it as a Type M, as does Olsen’s “Mauser Bolt Rifles.” I am not able to determine the exact year of manufacture. Any additional information would be appreciated.
View attachment 515182View attachment 515183View attachment 515184
Beautiful rifle made by fine craftsman in a great caliber. I am green with envy.

This is my Type M .30-'06. I had the identical rifle completely bare of attachments such as scope and receiver sight, but I was reluctant to change the original condition, so when this one came along, I gladly bought it and sold the pristine one for someone else to enjoy in his collection.

The Griffin & Howe mount raises the scope a little higher than I would prefer, but I can live with it.
Mauser Typ M 001.jpg
Mauser Typ M 004.jpg

I appreciate the helpful information and kind remarks regarding the rifle. I certainly consider myself fortunate to have it.

Type M means full stock as in Mannlicher type stock.
If you have the serial number we can determine the year of manufacture.

looks like a double square bridge , tho the front bridge looks like it may have been added

They are a great stalking and still hunting rifle and caliber.

I appreciate the helpful information and kind remarks regarding the rifle. I certainly consider myself fortunate to have it.
Really Nice Mauser rifle.

The grain and pitch of the wood stock looks great. I have only handled one of these Type M Mausers, courtesy of a retired engineer with many Pre-WW II rifles.
Real Craftmanship.

If you so consider, send PM or post the serial number, and I will research serial number and production date within an interval in Jon Speeds book below. While records are not complete, lot of information is available. I am on the road, home in a couple of days and will get back to you.

" Mauser Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles"

1690934928041.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeannaBrau

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]