Mauser M18 v. M12 Compare?

Nailcreek1

Reaction score
While I do consider the only "real Mauser" to be the 98, I've been looking at the M18 and M12. I'm curious what member of the board think of either one ... fit, finish, quality, performance?

I’m curious too...

SIG Sauer or the Lüke & Ortmeier group has different rifles at different grades.

The m18 is the lowest price point from Mauser and the current production M98's are the highest.

When originally launched the M12 was in the $1500 American price point.

The M18 originally launched at around $650 US.

Mauser did the introductions and then pushed more options and a higher price point.

They of course have different features, but most of those features are based on the cost to manufacture.

The stock on the M18 is of lower quality than the stock on the M12. The receiver of the m12 has a more beautiful, user friendly (can load from the bolt port or the magazine) and expensive to produce system.

The M18 is a Remington 788 or Savage Axis.

The M12 is a Remington 700 or Savage 110.

Either one would be a surviceable rifle.

M12 over the M18 every day for me.
I own and shoot an M12 and it's been to Africa with me several times.

You get what you pay for and paying a bit more for the M12 is a no brainer.
It is a quality rifle, the action is superb, smooth, slick, positive and wonderful to shoot, it's an accurate rifle.

I haven't shot an M18 but have picked up and handled a few.
The difference to me is marked. It feels like the cheap rifle it is. Different action to the M12 and no doubt good but just not as nice in the hand.

The stock feels cheap and plastic because it is. Obviously you aren't paying for luxury.

Personally I was disappointed as a Mauser fan but I can see where they are aiming (no pun intended) the rifle and to what market.

It depends what you want from a rifle.

You want a cheap beater rifle that you can abuse and get the job done then go M18.

You want a decent rifle that you can abuse and get the job done, get an M12 with the synthetic stock. It will do the same as the M18 but you will enjoy it and appreciate it more, get a better stock and action and it will feel nicer to own and shoot.

If you want a decent rifle that you can take to the wild and enjoy as a companion, looks good, gives you the warm and fuzzies with a smooth action, enjoyable to shoot and own and handle, get an M12 with a nice walnut stock.

Both are good rifles and there for two different markets.
Both will do what you want, one will do it better and please you more.
But you pay for what you get.

M12 over the M18 every day for me.
I own and shoot an M12 and it's been to Africa with me several times.

You get what you pay for and paying a bit more for the M12 is a no brainer.
It is a quality rifle, the action is superb, smooth, slick, positive and wonderful to shoot, it's an accurate rifle.

I haven't shot an M18 but have picked up and handled a few.
The difference to me is marked. It feels like the cheap rifle it is. Different action to the M12 and no doubt good but just not as nice in the hand.

The stock feels cheap and plastic because it is. Obviously you aren't paying for luxury.

Personally I was disappointed as a Mauser fan but I can see where they are aiming (no pun intended) the rifle and to what market.

It depends what you want from a rifle.

You want a cheap beater rifle that you can abuse and get the job done then go M18.

You want a decent rifle that you can abuse and get the job done, get an M12 with the synthetic stock. It will do the same as the M18 but you will enjoy it and appreciate it more, get a better stock and action and it will feel nicer to own and shoot.

If you want a decent rifle that you can take to the wild and enjoy as a companion, looks good, gives you the warm and fuzzies with a smooth action, enjoyable to shoot and own and handle, get an M12 with a nice walnut stock.

Both are good rifles and there for two different markets.
Both will do what you want, one will do it better and please you more.
But you pay for what you get.
Thanks, no doubt if you're lucky, you get what you pay for! I'm leaning towards the M12 Expert, with open sights. Not inexpensive, and I know that the name 'Mauser' tacks on at least a good part of the price, but the higher grade wood does have my attention.

Thanks, no doubt if you're lucky, you get what you pay for! I'm leaning towards the M12 Expert, with open sights. Not inexpensive, and I know that the name 'Mauser' tacks on at least a good part of the price, but the higher grade wood does have my attention.

I honestly believe you will not regret it. If I hadn't lucked into a nice M03 I definitely would buy another M12 over and above anything else on the market.

The M03 was discontinued, the M18 was introduced for Mauser's bottom end market and the M12 was upgraded to replace the M03. So, although you don't get the switch barrel option you do get a rifle that is (in my opinion) a very worthy replacement for the M03, similar in looks and quality but for less money.

Have a m12 with synthetic stock and iron sights and detachable scope....only reason I bought it was to see what the big hoohaw was about 30-06 being so popular....and the fact a second hand 270 Remington I bought shot allover the place....the more I handle it the more I like it...couple of clients have used it and liked it....I have picked up couple of m18s and as has been said you can easily feel the difference...but am sure if you need or it's in your price range a budget rifle it will work well...also I must be the correct dimensions for mauser stocks ,as when I shoulder it the irons line up perfectly without having to move my head etc...same thing with a few m98 7x57 rifles I have looked at at dsc and sci...and one at the gunshop here...if I had the spare cash that one would be sitting by my side.....

Last edited:
I honestly believe you will not regret it. If I hadn't lucked into a nice M03 I definitely would buy another M12 over and above anything else on the market.

The M03 was discontinued, the M18 was introduced for Mauser's bottom end market and the M12 was upgraded to replace the M03. So, although you don't get the switch barrel option you do get a rifle that is (in my opinion) a very worthy replacement for the M03, similar in looks and quality but for less money.
I've a soft spot for Mauser sporters in any event. I've an original 1911 "B" being restored at the moment - refinished, rebarreled with a Krieger in 7X57 and fitted with new claw mounts - a "grail rifle". A M12 Expert in 8X57JS cap the collection.
20210130_114933.jpg

Have a m12 with synthetic stock and iron sights and detachable scope....only reason I bought it was to see what the big hoohaw was about 30-06 being so popular....and the fact a second hand 270 Remington I bought shot allover the place....the more I handle it the more I like it...couple of clients have used it and liked it....I have picked up couple of m18s and as has been said you can easily feel the difference...but am sure if you need or it's in your price range a budget rifle it will work well...also I must be the correct dimensions for mauser stocks ,as when I shoulder it the irons line up perfectly without having to move my head etc...same thing with a few m98 7x57 rifles I have looked at at dsc and sci...and one at the gunshop here...if I had the spare cash that one would be sitting by my side.....
Well, chances are I might end up with an M18 in any event. My biggest disappointment, with both the M18 and M12 is that neither are offered in 7X57.

Just curious if you have been able use the .30-06 enough on game so far as to form an opinion on the "hoohaw"? This may not be the right thread for the question and if so I apologize.

Just curious if you have been able use the .30-06 enough on game so far as to form an opinion on the "hoohaw"? This may not be the right thread for the question and if so I apologize.

I have only shot a puku with it ...but clients have shot sable..lechwe..Bushbuck...reedbuck...blue duiker...a croc....puku...I like heavy bullets so only buy the sako 200 or 220 grn hammerhead...and it seems to work fine....as I said got it to see what it was all about ...kind of wish i had got it in a mauser calibre but am happy with it and as I said the rifle itself keeps growing on me...just 30-06 to me bit like the 375 doesn't get me excited :E Big Grin:

My M12 is a 30-06 and I use Norma Oryx 180gr bullets through it.
Supremely accurate and confident in the calibre and round to perform.
From Steenbok to Zebra, Warthog to Kudu.
I don't know what the hoohaw is but there can surely be no argument over the 30-06 as a suitable calibre?

I have only shot a puku with it ...but clients have shot sable..lechwe..Bushbuck...reedbuck...blue duiker...a croc....puku...I like heavy bullets so only buy the sako 200 or 220 grn hammerhead...and it seems to work fine....as I said got it to see what it was all about ...kind of wish i had got it in a mauser calibre but am happy with it and as I said the rifle itself keeps growing on me...just 30-06 to me bit like the 375 doesn't get me excited :E Big Grin:
I am a fan of the 06 and was curious to know if the caliber started to grow on you kinda like the rifle. Not particularly exiting or glamorous but effective. Thanks Mike!

Strange they dont...would probably have one if they did
The story, as I understand it, is that they only offer the 7X57 in the M98, which is multiples more expensive than either the M18 or M12. I did reach out to Mauser via social media, asking whether they had any plans for the 7X57 and they responded that they had no plans "near term" to offer that chambering. Still kind of surprising ...

My M12 is a 30-06 and I use Norma Oryx 180gr bullets through it.
Supremely accurate and confident in the calibre and round to perform.
From Steenbok to Zebra, Warthog to Kudu.
I don't know what the hoohaw is but there can surely be no argument over the 30-06 as a suitable calibre?

Think you got the wrong end of the stick adrian...never said it wasn't suitable....just got it to see what it was like as so many use it...but as I said it doesn't excite me same as a 375....nothing wrong with its suitability or how effective it is.... :D Beers:

The story, as I understand it, is that they only offer the 7X57 in the M98, which is multiples more expensive than either the M18 or M12. I did reach out to Mauser via social media, asking whether they had any plans for the 7X57 and they responded that they had no plans "near term" to offer that chambering. Still kind of surprising ...

Ok thanks for the info

Think you got the wrong end of the stick adrian...never said it wasn't suitable....just got it to see what it was like as so many use it...but as I said it doesn't excite me same as a 375....nothing wrong with its suitability or how effective it is.... :D Beers:

I was replying to Dirtdart's post where he mentioned the hoohaw, I didn't realise he was replying to you.
I thought there was some other issue over the 30-06 being a suitable calibre.

I was replying to Dirtdart's post where he mentioned the hoohaw, I didn't realise he was replying to you.
I thought there was some other issue over the 30-06 being a suitable calibre.

Yeah dirtdart originally asked me after I mentioned that in my earlier post ..if that makes sense :E Big Grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?