Martini Henry action strength

AlanBigStick

AH member
Reaction score
I picked up a very pretty custom Martini recently. I believe it’s a MK II based on the thumb rest, but it’s almost devoid of markings except for a gunmakers’ number.

It’s chambered in 38-55. There is or was a Buffalo Bore load that was pretty warm compared to the black powder or smokeless equivalent. I believe the M-H is a robust action. Strong enough for modern loads (38,000 vs 30,000 cup)? Or just stick to cream puff cowboy loads?

Thanks,
Alan

Small firing pin? If not, I would worry about the primer flowing around the firing pin with hot loads. I have a Swiss Martini chambered for 9.3x53, I stick to mild cast bullet loads for this reason, not because I worry about action strength.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idgame

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?