Martini Henry action strength

AlanBigStick

AH member
Joined
Jan 10, 2024
Messages
45
Reaction score
95
Location
Houston TX
I picked up a very pretty custom Martini recently. I believe it’s a MK II based on the thumb rest, but it’s almost devoid of markings except for a gunmakers’ number.

It’s chambered in 38-55. There is or was a Buffalo Bore load that was pretty warm compared to the black powder or smokeless equivalent. I believe the M-H is a robust action. Strong enough for modern loads (38,000 vs 30,000 cup)? Or just stick to cream puff cowboy loads?

Thanks,
Alan
 
Small firing pin? If not, I would worry about the primer flowing around the firing pin with hot loads. I have a Swiss Martini chambered for 9.3x53, I stick to mild cast bullet loads for this reason, not because I worry about action strength.
Mike
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,455
Messages
1,576,612
Members
170,609
Latest member
HaleyGreen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top