Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Spending my 60th birthday today and this weekend at Hackberry Rod and Gun with my best friend. We had miserable wind conditions this morning with strong thunderstorms south of the lake. But our guide Capt. Darney knew where to go and we finished the morning at 12 noon with a full limit of 45 speckled trout and 2 red drum. Will be fishing 2 more days.
IMG_5923.jpg

thats what I call a quality way to spend a birthday!

good fishin there Mark!

Happy Birthday Brother! That place is awesome fishing

Happy Birthday, what a great way to spend it!

Nice! I grew up fishing that lake. However, if you are going to keep going down there, you need to give it the local name. That is "Big Lake." There is even a Big Lake Road across the ship channel from Hackberry. Congrats on a great birthday.

Nice! I grew up fishing that lake. However, if you are going to keep going down there, you need to give it the local name. That is "Big Lake." There is even a Big Lake Road across the ship channel from Hackberry. Congrats on a great birthday.

Correct Sir!
Most would not have known if called it Big Lake. I have been coming here to Hackberry for over 20 years.

Looks like some good eating. Congrats
Bruce

Happy Birthday Mark! Love HR&G, been there many times and have fished with Darney as well, he’s a good’n!

That place and fishery never cease to amaze me. Been going since the 90s and it’s hard to believe how many fish they can pull out of there and it keeps cranking. Awesome way to spend your 60th, I’ll be in Africa for mine next year!

Looks like a good birthday!

Happy birthday Mark! I’ve had some great duck hunts at Hackberry. Those ladies make a mean duck gumbo!

Day 2 and another great day.
Captain Darney knows where to find them as always.
No wind early and bite was on.
We limited on trout with 45 by 9:30. Then went hit and miss on redfish till 11:30. Picked up 4 reds and 2 black drum. Called it and headed for the docks.
One more day fishing still and it will be a short morning as to head back home around noon.
IMG_5936.jpg

Back when I was a young poor captain teaching ROTC at McNeese in the early eighties, my new bride and I would hit either Big Lake, the Cameron jetties, or Rockefeller Reserve every couple weeks. Depending upon the time of year, it was nothing to come home with 100 specks and a dozen reds. I hasten to add neither was a game fish in those days. We would keep filets from eight to ten and drop the rest with the local seafood market. As I remember, specks brought about fifty cents a pound and reds a little more. That fishery was a huge supplement to our income, and a great deal of fun.

That’s a damn good day right there. I’ve introduced many to HR&G and always tell them you’re now spoiled for life. Fishing - or I should say catching fish - is not as easy as they make it out to be!

Happy Birthday and looks like great fishing and an awesome meal!

Well we are done and headed home.
Day three was tough. All started out promising, up 4am breakfast at 4::45 line always. Flag was limp, no wind going to be great. Well that didn't last long by 5:30 am South West wind had kicked in at about 15 mph. By 7 am due west at 20 plus.
Made for tough conditions. Capt Darney made plenty of moves trying to find fish. No one was really on them at all this morning. We still managed to find 20 keepers before having to pull out and head in.
IMG_5941.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?