Looking for my first hunt in Africa

Pirkan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Sweden, South Africa
I am looking for a hunt to take place sometime before August 2024 when I will start studying at university. I would like to spend around 3.5k usd on the hunt itself (excluding tips, taxidermy, flights etc.) and for that amount i want to hunt as many different species as possible and preferably with different styles of hunting and bring my father along as an observer. I do not care in the slightest about shooting large trophy specimens and would much rather hunt as much as possible with my budget. I do not mind somewhat spartan accomodations during the hunt if this lets me hunt more.

I would like to bring my own rifle but since I am 19 this would not be possible in SA and other places that have a limit of 21 years of age to import a rifle. Could my father import it in his name even if he is not doing any hunting? We will make sure that all the paperwork on our side is in his name here in Sweden in that case.

I would love to hear what all the outfitters here have to offer and maybe get some input from people who know more than me

For that budget you should consider a cull hunt and not take any trophies home. Getting your trophies home will cost you nearly as much as your budget. Then you can add that extra amount to your budget and hunt a few more animals or more days. August is also still peak time for outfitters. You might consider delaying your hunt until maybe Christmas break or spring break and you might be offered some better deals if you’d be ok with some heat and rain during the off season.

Last edited:
For that budget you should consider a cull hunt and not take any trophies home. Getting your trophies home will cost you nearly as much as your budget. Then you can add that extra amount to your budget and hunt a few more animals or more days. August is also still peak time for outfitters. You might consider delaying your hunt until maybe Christmas break or spring break and you might be offered some better deals if you’d be ok with some heat and rain during the off season.
Those are all valid points and i´m definetly open to only doing a cull hunt. The problem with delaying it is that I don´t know how my schedule will look once i start studying so if it is possible I would like to do it before that.

There are several very good options. You said before Aug of 24 so a March/April hunt could be a little less expensive. Cull hunts will allow you to get the most shooting in for your money if your not worried about trophies and just the experience.
My suggestion is to go to the hunts offered section and start reading ads. Look back for the last 12-18 months. Next would be to look at the hunt reports. See who sounds appealing. Then start DM'ing prospective companies. That should get you a great hunt.
Bruce

Great points so far. I like the early season hunts anyway- April-May, so much the better if that may save some budget. Cull hunts can offer more shooting/hunting opportunity without running out of budget. 3,500 USD is tight budget no doubt but doable if careful. If the daily rate is a conservative 350 per day total, a 10 day hunt without any extras uses up all the 3500 budget. And there are always extras. I do not know air connections out of Sweden. But, I would not overlook any Southern Africa country including Botswana. I would avoid a super short stay, with a 7 day hunt being a minimum. Then add 2-4 days for travel, to and from. With cull hunts, you may not have the variety of many trophy fee hunts but the hunting will be continuous and can be more challenging than envisioned. Plus a photo safari at the same time as a bonus to hunting and with no trophy fee or stress and $ that goes along with it like dip and pack, prep, international brokerage or shipping. Then it's just a matter of sorting through what's available and some phone time to get gut feel for potential outfitters/PHs. At bare bones... that type hunt only involves daily rate per person with many charging one fee for hunter plus a smaller daily fee for observer. Always ask about the last leg of travel, either drive or air to get to camp. Hard to tell about accommodations. Most are far more than adequate by any measure including tent camps. Matter of fact some hunters pay premium for hunts in remote areas for specific types of hunting while preferring tent camps. Using outfitter's rifle(s) can save a lot of hassle- costs are usually minimal.

Last edited:
I am looking for a hunt to take place sometime before August 2024 when I will start studying at university. I would like to spend around 3.5k usd on the hunt itself (excluding tips, taxidermy, flights etc.) and for that amount i want to hunt as many different species as possible and preferably with different styles of hunting and bring my father along as an observer. I do not care in the slightest about shooting large trophy specimens and would much rather hunt as much as possible with my budget. I do not mind somewhat spartan accomodations during the hunt if this lets me hunt more.

I would like to bring my own rifle but since I am 19 this would not be possible in SA and other places that have a limit of 21 years of age to import a rifle. Could my father import it in his name even if he is not doing any hunting? We will make sure that all the paperwork on our side is in his name here in Sweden in that case.

I would love to hear what all the outfitters here have to offer and maybe get some input from people who know more than me
dm sent

I think you'll find something fairly easy. Take one good animal (kudu?) and have it done euro. That shouldn't be too expensive for trophy prep and shipment. Then start management hunting (culling). That way you have one trophy on the wall to remember the trip, especially with your dad tagging along. As long as your dad can get an export permit from Sweden and has an outfitter invite letter to hunt, I don't see a problem (but outfitter should know for certain). Just make sure he's always along when the gun is being transported to and from hunting. That's about the only time you could get checked. I'm sure the outfitter will figure out a workaround.

I prefer hunting when it's cold to avoid snakes and bugs. End of August is nice as spring is around the corner and wildflowers are just starting to bloom. I was in SA 12th to 20th and it was beautiful.
20230816_135553.jpg
20230819_141253.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?