Looking for a solid bullet for my .458 Lott

DaveL

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I am a professional hunter in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and the Woodleigh round nosed solid and the Swift A frame have been my bullets of choice for years (I have also recently started using North Forks, pretty stoked with them too) However, as most of us know, the Woodleigh factory is now unfortunately no more. My question to you aficionados is this - what "PH carry" round is a suitable plan B until (if ever?) Woodleigh is back up and running? Currently I am running 500 grainers in my 458 Lott. in a CZ 550 (my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!)

If you're reloading, the peregrine brass solids are fantastic, but they're rather flat nosed.

Trophy bonded Sledgehammers have a smaller flat meplat s then others. I have been using them since the 90s in two different Lotts with no feed issues. One is a Brno 602.
Federal did get into some fragmentation issues for awhile but I understand it has been addressed. They are lead core so makes for a shorter bullet that does not cause excessive powder compression.

Trophy bonded Sledgehammers have a smaller flat meplat s then others. I have been using them since the 90s in two different Lotts with no feed issues. One is a Brno 602.
Federal did get into some fragmentation issues for awhile but I understand it has been addressed. They are lead core so makes for a shorter bullet that does not cause excessive powder compression.
Yes that Sledge hammer is a marvelous bullet as well!

The hornaday DGS has a similar round nose with a very small meplat.
I hope that the woodleigh factory can be rebuilt by someone and get back to producing good bullets.

...my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!...
It is due to hitting the ramp. My gunsmith always makes sure the CEB solids feed in my rifles. It sometimes takes a bit of work.

I am a professional hunter in Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and the Woodleigh round nosed solid and the Swift A frame have been my bullets of choice for years (I have also recently started using North Forks, pretty stoked with them too) However, as most of us know, the Woodleigh factory is now unfortunately no more. My question to you aficionados is this - what "PH carry" round is a suitable plan B until (if ever?) Woodleigh is back up and running? Currently I am running 500 grainers in my 458 Lott. in a CZ 550 (my CZ 550 does not like flat nosed meplats - and whilst we are at it, someone explain that to me!)

the Woodleigh factory is being rebuilt the last I heard and .458s will be ones they focus on when up and running.

As far as flat-nosed bullets, yeah, typically a feed ramp issue, but takes a knowledgeable person to make it right. Not uncommon.

You can use Barnes Banded 500 Gr round nosed monolithic solids. Your CZ550 will need to have some filing work done to the feeding ramp, by a competent gunsmith.

Impala bullets solid brass bullets and they are cheap and always available.

http://impalabullets.co.za/Pages/Products.asp?PID=179901&P=.458 Cal 475gr RNFP

They feed very easily in my CZ 550 and Musgrave rifles they have nice cutting shoulders that punches nice clean holes for good blood flow.

475gr Impala mono solid compared to a 500gr Woodleigh protected point.

458 Impala 1.jpg

458 Impala.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.05 AM.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi Dave,
Give the Peregrine VRG2 (515gr) & VRG3 (500gr) a try, they have performed superbly in my Lott.

Frederik,
Thanks for the pix.
The nose of the Woodie reminds me of the nose of the .458 300 grain Nosler PP that I shoot on thin skinned game.
I have been very pleased with the performance of brass solids in my Winchester1895 .405 and 1886 .45-90.

Rhino solids and controlled expansion softs best bullets I have ever used on DG.....

For my two cents, we have had very good luck with the Barnes 500 gr. .458 TSX. In most cases with no or almost no weight loss. Even down to the 300 gr .375 Same performance. Great success to you. Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with