Looking For A Lefty Bolt Action Big Bore ~8k

Garrett89

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on something I might pair with a double in .450-400 3" for around 8-10k ? Thinking .375, .416, .450-something etc

Been looking around at Dakota but I hear they had some kind of bad spell while owned by Remington? How might I avoid ending up with a rifle from that era?

Open to all advice on what I might go with or if anyone knows anyone who might build a rifle for around that amount.

Thanks!

^ what he said!

I’m a lefty and it’s always hard to find what I actually want, especially in a larger caliber rifle, that’s LH. I looked for over a year for a model 70 CRF in 375 and paid through the nose, but it was still cheaper than getting one built. If I ever graduate to a big bore, I think I’m going to just have one built. I did a fair amount of asking around and I think you could have a 458 built from a diner action with a decent stick of wood and still be under your price point.

Since you’ve already got the 40 cal covered I think I’d try and find a 375 or 458 Lott. Probably a Dakota or an R8 at that price point. The Blaser would probably be the easiest to sort out

First stop guns has a left hand Dakota M76 African action for $2595 which would be a good starting point for a nice custom.

I’m also a South Paw, grew up shooting RH bolts & semi autos - then in the 1990s manufacturers startedmaking more LH actions. I bought a double rifle .470 NE (Chapuis) in 2006 for my one African Safari and ordered it with exhibition grade Turkish Walnut and LH cheek piece, had trigger worked on, detachable scope —— really treated myself. I know I won’t get that $$ back now that I’m thinking about selling it but I certainly “enjoyed” having something built for ME. Later did similar with custom .375 H&H - although that was less then 1/2 the price of the Chapuis. I think Lefty’s should treat themselves to a rifle designed for them ...either off the shelf or (if they can afford a little more) custom built. The World was designed by and for Righty’s — so Lefty’s need to look harder for equal equipment but it’s out there !

Three interesting options in 375 H&H

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.07 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.07 PM Large.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.08 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.08 PM Large.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.09 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.09 PM Large.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.11 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.11 PM Large.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.21 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.21 PM Large.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.22 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.22 PM Large.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.23 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.23 PM Large.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.34 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.34 PM Large.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.35 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.35 PM Large.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.36 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.10.36 PM Large.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 73

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.11.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.11.45 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.11.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.11.47 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Have one built. It’ll be the way you want it. That’s what I started doing once I moved above 375s…you can build something really nice in the ~5k ballpark. Just takes time.

If you can source a LH action, I would have one built in 404 Jeffery or a 458 lot. Depending on how fancy you want you could do it for under your price. I just had a 375 Whelen AI built on a Enfield action I bought for $100, with a Boyds stock, Pacnor barre, Timeny trigger and Cerecoated for a total of $2700 Canadian. I sure in the US it will be cheaper.

Guys, we're all friends here but I'm a bigot, unjustifiably with one class of people....Lefties. :)

A lot of talk, very little buying occurs. Very fussy, so fussy nothing ever gets done. Kinda odd, because beggars usually can't be choosers. Anytime I see my shoe size in an item I like, I buy three pair, because it will be another decade before that miracle happens again. So what's up lefties, you're asking for unicorns and not jumping on them?

So, in the leftorium of guns, here are the gems:

There is a Frederick Beesley listed above. Its at auction on GB right now. I said it would cost $15000 to have built today, but I think my numbers are soft. Lets call it an MSRP $20,000 gun. I think the guy wants $7500-$8500. There is NOTHING better out there than this one. The friggin action is over $5000 alone. This gun languished on the market for 5 years. All of a sudden this week there are several people finally talking about it? For the price of two rugers or winchesters, someone could own the finest British lefty rifle I've seen in America.

To the less expensive options, go to GI and look into the Dakota rifles. There are SEVERAL lefties, some of them for a few thousand or more under book value. If I were a tightwad and a lefty, I'd just pick the top-5 and send lowballs to all of them.

Happy shooting.

Guys, we're all friends here but I'm a bigot, unjustifiably with one class of people....Lefties. :)

A lot of talk, very little buying occurs. Very fussy, so fussy nothing ever gets done. Kinda odd, because beggars usually can't be choosers. Anytime I see my shoe size in an item I like, I buy three pair, because it will be another decade before that miracle happens again. So what's up lefties, you're asking for unicorns and not jumping on them?

There is a Frederick Beesley listed above. Its at auction on GB right now. I said it would cost $15000 to have built today, but I think my numbers are soft. Lets call it an MSRP $20,000 gun. I think the guy wants $7500-$8500. There is NOTHING better out there than this one. The friggin action is over $5000 alone. This gun languished on the market for 5 years. All of a sudden this week there are several people finally talking about it? For the price of two rugers or winchesters, someone could own the finest British lefty rifle I've seen in America.

To the less expensive options, go to GI and look into the Dakota rifles. There are SEVERAL lefties, some of them for a few thousand or more under book value. If I were a tightwad and a lefty, I'd just pick the top-5 and send lowballs to all of them.

Happy shooting.
Rookhawk, did You say “IF” you were a Lefty??? Are you a Lefty IMPERSONATOR? Are you “appropriating” a Left Handed Lifestyle?
Only a true LEFTY can understand the difficulty (and Cost) to hunt/shoot in a Right Handed World. Only in the past 20 years have factory made left handed actions become common and even now we often get the “cheaper” version ie: sorry Lefty, NO wood stock for you - enjoy your composite plastic fantastic. Or, too bad South Paw, only one barrel length on that Benelli shotgun for you, take it or get Out and let me focus on a Right Handed Customer. Want a left handed padded shooting shirt/jacket/vest —— well start looking early and when you find one it’s usually in a limited color run, if it ever goes on sale it’s only the XXXL in neon Blue etc..
We can get a LH over & under but it’s only the stock and cast - the action was still designed for a Righty (by a Righty). Double Rifle - I think only Heym makes a true LH action for a double rifle (there may be others?). Ain’t easy !!

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on something I might pair with a double in .450-400 3" for around 8-10k ? Thinking .375, .416, .450-something etc

Been looking around at Dakota but I hear they had some kind of bad spell while owned by Remington? How might I avoid ending up with a rifle from that era?

Open to all advice on what I might go with or if anyone knows anyone who might build a rifle for around that amount.

Thanks!
I have and use:

Sako 85 Hunter LH .375 H&H Mag Rifle​

IMG_4218.jpeg

Happy shooting.
The FB listed (you’re referencing) already has an offer via a bidder through another site/source. I know, because I’m interested and inquired already…

Waiting - pending outcome…

Rookhawk, did You say “IF” you were a Lefty??? Are you a Lefty IMPERSONATOR? Are you “appropriating” a Left Handed Lifestyle?
Only a true LEFTY can understand the difficulty (and Cost) to hunt/shoot in a Right Handed World. Only in the past 20 years have factory made left handed actions become common and even now we often get the “cheaper” version ie: sorry Lefty, NO wood stock for you - enjoy your composite plastic fantastic. Or, too bad South Paw, only one barrel length on that Benelli shotgun for you, take it or get Out and let me focus on a Right Handed Customer. Want a left handed padded shooting shirt/jacket/vest —— well start looking early and when you find one it’s usually in a limited color run, if it ever goes on sale it’s only the XXXL in neon Blue etc..
We can get a LH over & under but it’s only the stock and cast - the action was still designed for a Righty (by a Righty). Double Rifle - I think only Heym makes a true LH action for a double rifle (there may be others?). Ain’t easy !!

For purposes of saving a boatload of money on best grade guns, I wish I could "Identify as a lefty" to appropriate your culture.

Unfortunately, I'm Cis-handed, part of the right-hand patriarchy.

There are tremendous deals on left handed weapons. I would never, ever own a production gun if I were a lefty. I'd drive ferraris for the price of chevys. There are all forms of lefty things for cheap. Fine shotguns "converted lefty" are a bargain if they were cast-on, many of them had their triggers twisted so they don't cut into those very sensitive lefty hands. :) Obviously doubles of all proper types have tang safeties so the only real inconvenience is the toplever which as you point out a handful of firms actually made lefty toplevers too.

Older Steven Grant and other sidelever double guns have the sidelevers on the right, I'd actually prefer to operate them reversed so a like-minded lefty might find those to be quite awesome. If they were otherwise lefty configured it would take a $10k shotgun and turn it into a $5k best shotgun. Go for it bargain hunters.

I've even seen winchester model 70-type side safeties reversed for lefty. EAW or Rechnagel makes one, so you can even get your cocking pieces reversed which I'm not sure I would do myself, as I think operating it via thumb is a better deal for a lefty using a righty bolt shroud safety.

At any rate, the world is the lefty's oyster when it comes to fine guns. They languish for years and sell for super cheap. Go get 'em!

I have and use:

Sako 85 Hunter LH .375 H&H Mag Rifle​

View attachment 551335
I like my Sako too - so much so that I had my LH Sako .25-06 built into a Custom ..30-06, added exhibition grade Claro walnut stock, jewel trigger, and love that push feed action with short rotation bolt - very fast to cycle. The guy who built it was also impressed by the Sako trigger and suggested I could save money by keeping that trigger vs. the Jewel. The original factory wood stock was a “clunker” though and one of the least attractive factory wood stocks I’ve seen.

Again, here it is:

In @Roohaw's defense, which I know he doesn't need me to, but. The point I think he was trying to make is that lefties usually complain about not having the same options in rifles as righties do. Here is the OP looking for a left-hand rifle, with a set budget of 8-10K, and there is a gorgeous rifle in this forum, and no one has taken advantage of this deal. :unsure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarlandCha

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.