Lion hunt

Sim251090

New member
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Hello everybody. I have a curiosity and I wondered if among the experts there was someone who could take it away from me: I have a lion's fang that was given to me many years ago. I would say he could be thirty to forty years old. my question is this .. how were lions hunted at the time? with the bait technique? and what were the areas where hunting was allowed at the time? I suppose they were larger than they are now. have patience with me, I am not an expert but I would be interested in deepening the topic.
 
Sim251090, you might enjoy the book or cd called “White Hunter”. It describes a number of different ways lions were hunted in the early 20th century. They were pretty much slaughtered in areas to make them safe for farming and cattle herds. A substantially different time.
As I recall, some were driven hunts with lines of drivers. Some were chased from horseback as a sport in itself. Others were the usual spot and stalk, or baited.
 
"White Hunters" was an excellent book. My PH's put the audiobook version on in the car our last day when we drove through the Kruger. I was able to download it in JNB and listened to it on the flight home. I spend a fair bit of time in the car for work, and listen to it often. I've probably completed it 5-6 times in the last 2.5 years since being introduced to it.
 
Well 30 years ago was only 1990...so pretty much the same as now...baiting and tracking if ground was good for it....countries have opened closed and opened again.....but yes a lot of the big government areas would have had more game in them then. ....and some would have been wilder but human encroachment even when illegal has happened along with illegal logging ..poaching etc etc ..what you get with the population explosion that has occurred even in 30 years.....but still big wild areas available to hunt lion and other big game in ....but for how long....who knows. ..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,315
Members
169,524
Latest member
hunverealo1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top