Lion Bait

Ole Bally

AH fanatic
Joined
Sep 30, 2011
Messages
618
Reaction score
229
Media
5
Articles
1
Hunted
Zimbabwe
A tale of Dobin and his deception!

watermark.php


I used to hunt out of Chikwarwara on the Limpopo right across from the Kruger Nat Park, and we bought a donkey for live Lion Bait. We named him Dobin! He had a nice bell around his neck and we'd chain him to a convenient tree down on the river bed and set up a blind up in the reed bed about 70 meters away! Then we'd play the looney tunes and have the Kruger Lions come to investigate! Inevitably they'd find Dobin the moment he smelt them coming with the dinner bell ringing loud and clear! We'd then take the Lion!

Dobin became a veteran of 4 seasons! He also learned to lie still on the sand and I'm certain I could see him with one hoof covering that pesky bell in the sunset gloom!

At the end of the 4th season, Dobin, ensconced in his kraal deluxe with some female company for those warm summer nights was brutally attacked and sadly killed by a couple of very smart and vengeful Lions! They just killed all 6 donkeys and didn't eat one!

I found Dobins bell all covered in blood and teeth marks and kept it as a momento to a brave ass!

Then I had a stroke...........of genius! I used to take Dobins bell, tie it onto my belt and walk with impunity right up to the areas Elephant and Buffalo! The donkeys,cattle and their herders would walk amongst them without spooking them and so did we...until the first shot went off anyhow!! Then the sport started!! :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,284
Messages
1,570,603
Members
168,913
Latest member
JanaHollwa
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top