Leupold VX-3 1.5-5???

1ObsessedHunter

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
175
Reaction score
27
Media
3
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
South Africa
I'm looking for some help. I'm setting up a 375H&H Colt Sauer and I'm thinking of mounting a Leupold 1.5-5 to it. I want the gun primarily as a dangerous game rifle but I'd also like to use it on plains game if necessary. I see this scope mounted on many rifles of this type. I guess my question is regarding the performance of this scope specifically in close quarters or on a charging animal, and what the preferred reticle would be?....duplex or heavy duplex? I know there are other scopes out there which are superior....Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt Bender, etc., but at a significant cost. I'm looking for input specifically on this Leupold. Any help would be much appreciated....Thanks
 
Go with the VX-3 1.5-5 X20mm illuminated reticle.

You will like the results of this option in heavy cover or earl morning and dusk.

Your eye will go to the high lighted center of the scope.

Always take a spare battery with you on your safari, just in case.
 
I have used them on 375's, 416 Rigby's and 458 winmag's. The leupold VX-III is a great scope. That may explain why you see so many of them on DG rifles. :think::think:
 
35bore's right! I have used one on my DG rifle for nigh on 20 years...never had a hitch with it! Learn to shoot with both eye's open esp when on 1.5 mag sorts all the 'scope' issues out! Works perfectly!
 
I have four of this scope on various rifles, great scope and you won't regret the purchase. I use the standard duplex in all of mine as it's what I'm used to and I don't want lots of variants in the safe.

ZKK602 in .450 Ackley Magnum
Easter2011_27.jpg


Easter2011_26.jpg



Ruger No.1 .450/400 3"
RugerNo1450400_03.jpg


RugerNo1450400_06.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Easter2011_26.jpeg
    Easter2011_26.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Easter2011_27.jpeg
    Easter2011_27.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 348
  • RugerNo1450400_03.jpeg
    RugerNo1450400_03.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 319
  • RugerNo1450400_06.jpeg
    RugerNo1450400_06.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 332
So I got my scope....it's great!! I paid somewhat of a premium though because I had Leoupold make one custom for me. It's a 1.5-5 with a #4 reticle but with a gloss finish. My rifle has a gloss finish so I needed a gloss scope and they didn't offer one with a #4 reticle. I love that reticle. I'm a little crazy like that, or anal according to some people :D. I'll try to post a pic of the rifle now that it's complete.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,356
Messages
1,574,054
Members
169,891
Latest member
KrystalTre
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top