Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x32 scope

Quaticman

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 20, 2018
Messages
178
Reaction score
441
Location
Kitchener
Media
26
Hunted
Namibia
What are your thoughts on using this particular scope on a .458 Win Mag bolt action rifle? I know for a fact that this scope will easily stand up to the recoil, however is a low end magnification of 2.5x too high for a rifle used for hunting dangerous game?
 
I used one on my .375. It is a great scope with outstanding eye relief.
 
Great scope and as i have said here before its my go to scope for most of my bigger rifles .
 
I have one on a Ruger Alaskan with 20" barrel chambered in .375 Ruger - I have not had any issues with eye relief off sticks nor seated on a bucket leaned out over my legs to shoot deer. 200+ rounds total firing so far.
 
On a 458 win mag for DG I'd try to fund that same model in a 1.5-5. I have one on my RSM 505. Superb eye relief. Great scopes for the money and yes they hold up.
 
My experience with this scope has not been as positive as most folks. I find the clicks to be mushy and sighting in tends to be an adventure. It could take 15 shots to move an inch high and and an inch to the right. Once it's zeroed, it holds zero good though. Others on various forums have said similar things in the past.

It's alright on my 308 but I wouldn't want to be jacking around with a 458 all day trying sight in
 
On a 458 win mag for DG I'd try to fund that same model in a 1.5-5. I have one on my RSM 505. Superb eye relief. Great scopes for the money and yes they hold up.
Just happen to have one I'm not using
 
The VX III 2,5-8 have been in production for a long long time so hard to say. Cutting cost, it only takes a white collared moron a couple of seconds to turn a very good product into crap and then you have a batch of scopes with potential disaster built into them in circulation. That being said I have one and I`m very happy with it. It has been to Africa and Canada multiple times mounted on different rifles as well as being used for domestic hunting. And it has been very very good and have never let me down in any way.
BUT, maybe the best recommendation I can give it was when chasing PAC Zebra in really dense bush I was handed the PH`s lion slayer. A seriously nice old original FN Mauser in 375H&H topped by a Leopold VX III 2,5-8. And during the hunt it turned out great. After about 2 hours of hard tracking we caught up to the Zebras in very dense bush 80-100 yds away. We could hardly see their manes over the bush. But there was a small hole in the bush maybe a ft in diameter so I turned the mag up to 6 or 7 and shot the tallest Zeb thru it. Unforgettable moment. It all happened in just seconds. The cold feeling when I saw the trackers shaking their heads because they din`t hear the bullet impact. But suddenly one of the trackers raised hes hand telling the others to zip it, he heared noises. We ran over and there lays this huge Zebra stallion. Thing is, it can be very nice to be able to have 7-8 mag available. Also in dense bush. I think the scope will be great on top of a 458WM but with QD mounts and learn to use the open iron sights.
 
i shoot this zebra in the same conditions, 3-9x leupold scope on a cz 550 in .375, a 2.5-8x would have been just as good.

DSCN1051 (3).JPG
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,188
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top