Leupold Freedom EER Scout

Mountaineer

AH fanatic
Joined
May 31, 2021
Messages
914
Reaction score
1,295
Hunting reports
Africa
1
I’m in the process of scoping my Krieghoff O/U chambered in 458 win mag. I see Leupold makes a scout in their Freedom series with 6-6.9 inches of eye relief and 42 feet field of view on 1.5 power. Weight is 9oz. Does anyone have experience with this scope on a big bore? Thanks.
 
Not exactly that scope, but I have a Freedom 3-9x40 on my .375 RUM and it works great. It has their CDS turrets that hold their zero on the 100, 200, 300, and 430 yard ranges that I practice at.
 
I don't have personal experience to directly answer your question, but I think a few people on here have tried scopes in the Freedom line on 458 Win Mag or similar. That should be comparable. Earlier this year I asked Leupold directly and they said that all their scopes are tested to the same impact resistance so a Freedom should be fine on a DG rifle.

Overall, I like the Freedom line and still have one on a 22, but I'm not as much of a fan of them as I was earlier this year after doing more careful comparisons of image clarity (at distance, at first light). I found that my Bushnell Elite 3500s were better than the Freedom glass. I wanted something better on my .375 so I finally upgraded to a VX-5 2-10x a few months ago and am very happy with it. However, while the clarity is better than the Freedom, I have to say that it's not dramatically so to my eyes. Based on limited experience I agree that it's comparable to the VX-2 glass, which is what Leupold asserts.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea you have, to put a forward mounted scope on an O/U rifle. I think that would look good and perhaps more balanced than a scope closer to the breach face. If you end up doing that, I'd love to see a picture.

Of the other scout scopes out there with the eye relief you're looking for, I don't know of any others that would advisable for a 458. For example, Vortex makes a Crossfire scout, and I once asked them directly about the Crossfire line and they said that while it's "magnum rated" they advised against putting one on a 375 H&H. For the combination of pretty good glass, high durability and super long eye relief, I don't think you'll find anything better than the VX-Freedom.
 
I haven't had one of the scout scopes from the freedom line, but I am a giant fan of the VXR Scout fire dot scopes. I have two mounted on marlin 45-70s. Unfortunately Leupold discontinued the VXR line which was crazy.

I do have a Freedom 1-5 pig plex on a 30-30 marlin, and it is a pretty darn nice scope for what it cost.
 
I think one of the issues will be how to mount it, as in, what base. To mount a scout that far forward would require removing/replacing the rear iron sight on your rifle with the scope. The other question, harder to answer, would be what effect it might cause to regulation. DRs can be finicky with changes to the balance and weight of the rifle. Just some more things to ponder. I believe there have been other threads asking this same question; might do a search to see.
 
I’m planning to use leupold’s quick release base. They sell them as a blank so you can machine them to properly fit. Then mount a Williams hallo sight in the rear of the rear base via a dovetail slot.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,790
Members
170,390
Latest member
DYOHenriet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top