Kuiu Pattern

trperk1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi-I’m in Limpopo the end of April. A couple items I was to bring are some of my Kuiu gear and debating between Valo or Verde. Any suggestions for that time of year and location?

Hi-I’m in Limpopo the end of April. A couple items I was to bring are some of my Kuiu gear and debating between Valo or Verde. Any suggestions for that time of year and location?
I checked with Kuiu and you can't iron their stuff. Everything gets ironed daily there, so that may be an issue. Otherwise, enjoy and good hunting.

Duluth Trading Fire Hose pants. Like Pheroze said, every thing gets ironed daily and I'm sure your stuff will get ruined.

Walk and Stalk bow hunting?

It will be greener in April.

SelectingYourCamo_Verde_USGlobal_Sec2_July2020_2110x1188_164bf5d8-a0b5-46c3-8fa8-11e4036c4039.jpg
SelectingYourCamo_Valo_USGlobal_Sec2_July2020_2110x1188_46a02d67-318d-49e7-af93-28abca720d6a.jpg

If you are considering alternatives, Fjallraven makes decent hunting pants that endure well. But make sure you get their hunting line, as the regular line is loud, like the corduroy pants I wore in the 1970s loud :D

Bow hunting or rifle? I’m a fan of kuiu. Last hunt I mostly wore solid colors (collared shirts.)

definitely ask your PH.

To your specific question, definitely Verde. If you take it, just be very cleat that your stuff is not to be ironed. However, I’ll agree with others that solid colors in medium green are just as good. Boyt Harness Company sells very good quality cotton shirts that are ideal for African hunting. If you want to spend less, Bass Pro has much less expensive shirts, shorts and long pants.

I do an olive shirt and khaki shorts in Africa. If it is cold, I do an olive shirt and khaki trousers in Africa. All will be cotton. The whole commando thing is absolutely unnecessary.

I have a fair bit of Kuiu clothing and love it. I wouldn’t take it to Africa. Cotton in a dark olive cotton as others have suggested will serve you much better.

Agree with @375er on the Duluth Trading Fire Hose pants. Comfortable fit, good pockets. Only issue I had was they are a little stiff on material which made stalking in close on buffalo a little noisy in the thorns. I need to find pants with a very light wool material.

Verde.

FWIW I have always worn all synthetics in 9 different camps and never had a problem with laundry(add a couple photo camps too) Thats shirts pants socks underwear (I own one pair of denim jeans, cotton, nothing else) I’m not sure how this myth that camp staff cant figure this out keeps going, I have never said anything about fabric care, never an issue. Always returned neatly folded as usual.

Yes in the field you’ll get some thread pulls and snags, I have never shredded anything, some have made multiple trips.

Enjoy.

I took a pair of KUIU pants in olive color, and they held up in the mountains of the Eastern Cape. I do not believe they were ironed by the safari staff. My PH like them so much, that I'm sending him a pair this year. I also took two KUIU jackets (Layering, it was cold in May), a beanie, and neck gaiter, all in Valo. Verde would have worked in the mountains of the Eastern Cape. Valo was perfect for my hunt in the Kalahari.

Of your two choices Verde--I've worn the t shirts and merino wool blend shirts on 5 trips over to RSA and Namibia. I wore Valo in Namibia. Like Para45, I wore pants and they did fine in Namibia and I layered in the morning with Kuiu and a cheap fleece jacket on top. I would not take my puffy jacket!!!

Last edited:
I think is is hard to beat US military "multi-cam" for dry southern African terrain.

It it's cotton, pretty thorn-proof, and it's even cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaurizioBaldi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?