Kruger's Oldest Elephant Dies

Kevin Thomas

AH veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
249
Location
Wiltshire - UK
Website
www.kevindthomas.com
Deals & offers
5
Media
53
Articles
25
Member of
Previously ZPHGA, PHASA, SCI, ECGMA - all now lapsed since I'm no longer active in the industry but still support it fully.
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique.
One the Kruger National Park's (KNP) oldest elephants, Duke, who was more than 55-years-old, has died, the park said on Friday.

The elephant was discovered lying on its side along Makambeni spruit, five kilometres from Crocodile Bridge Camp on Wednesday, KNP spokesman William Mabasa said in a statement.

The five-day-old carcass was found after the camp's section ranger, Neels van Wyk, became worried when there was no movement from Duke's electronic collar.

It was believed the animal died on October 1.

"Although Duke was old, we are very saddened by this magnificent bull's passing as he was very popular and had avid followers who always asked about him," said Mabasa.

"In the past few years, there had been enquiries as to whether Duke was still with us; so when news of his passing came through we assumed it was rumours doing the rounds again."

The elephant had lost both tusks and in 2010 was fitted with a tracking collar in an effort to check up on him and his whereabouts.

Duke was estimated to have lived in the KNP bush for over 55 years.

Following normal practice, the head, tusk remains, and possibly skeleton would be recovered and then stored for possible display purposes.

Emerging tuskers are named after previous rangers and field rangers who have made notable contributions to conservation and the KNP.

The park said Duke was named after Thomas Duke, who was based at Lower Sabie between 1903 and 1923.
 
Sorry to hear, if anyone has photos, I'd love to see them, of the old boy!
 
does anyone have any photos of this old guy.
 
Thanks Kevin for letting us know.

Here is Duke before loosing both tusks.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome thanks for the video clip great elephant and a hugh loss for the park.
 
Hope he spread those genes throughout the park.
Very glad to hear it was not poachers this time.
 
Thanks for the video...he had some giant tusks!
 
Rich,I think you meant 'voorspoed'..a magnificent animal,I met him many moons ago when we were both in our twenties.I hope his tusks are somewhere safe.

..wengine katika kampuni kubwa ya amani, upole..
 
LOL, I thought I was being clever, just checked the web site and it's written wrong. Thanks Docman
 
Hamba kahle indlovu endala
Inhlonipho!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,083
Members
169,491
Latest member
citydancecorpsyouth
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top